What's new

Pen for adverse conditions

I use pens every day at work and my employer provides an ample supply of that design classic the Bic Cristal. However, I often have to work outdoors or in other environments where there is damp, or no flat surface to rest paper or a notebook on. For these situations I have been using a Pilot Down Force pen I got for Christmas a few years ago and it does the job quite well.
However, this pen is now getting rather scruffy, and has always felt extremely light and cheap (because it was) and so I am looking for a replacement. What I want is something with similar features (pocket clip, retractable tip, good grip) but a more substantial and high quality feel.
My budget would be £50 or less ( I have been known to lose things) and I don't want anything too military in appearance, which for me is a failing of many of the "tactical" pens I have seen online. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Fisher Space Pen. Or a Fisher Space Pen refill in whatever pen body you like. It fits in anything that can take a Parker refill. In fact, the Space Pen refill works awesome in the Jotter.

Another option would be a plain ole’ Sharpie in a suitably narrow size. Of course, it isn’t a retractable. But it should be plenty durable and is particularly well suited to writing on uneven surfaces.

Fisher Space Pen. Or a Fisher Space Pen refill in whatever pen body you like. It fits in anything that can take a Parker refill. In fact, the Space Pen refill works awesome in the Jotter.

Another option would be a plain ole’ Sharpie in a suitably narrow size. Of course, it isn’t a retractable. But it should be plenty durable and is particularly well suited to writing on uneven surfaces.

Sharpies don't like wet surfaces at all and can be terrible with many papers... But I was also thinking the Fischer Space Pen refill in whatever body you like. Rotring has a nice rollerball body in both black anodized or bright aluminum that looks really tough. The 600 Hexomatic. Here's a review:

Either the monteverde or Troika construction pens. The monteverde T60 is especially comfortable for me (it's triangular in shape).

Sorry the ballpoint versions.

Another vote for a Fisher Space Pen. It’s the only non fountain pen I liked writing with. And carried outdoors, in all weather conditions while working.

If your user name is a clue to your location try a visit to ABC in Kendal, they dont sell the Fisher Space Pen but still worth a visit

Leather Goods Archives | ABC Lloyd

If you have a tendancy to lose pens ABC sell a superb Italian made leather pen case, I have had mine for 10 years and its one of the best things I have bought

I echo the advice of others on the Fisher Space Pen, high quality and no better ink system for outside use. I think that this will be mail order only, but here is a typical listing

Fisher Space Pens - Fisher Ballpoint & Multi Pens

Thanks for all the advice. I have owned a couple of Fisher pens and found them good in that they do work in all conditions, but not so satisfactory in that they were too thin and slippery for my liking. However, the Fisher Clutch pen looks as if it might get around this problem (although it is very expensive in the UK), as might the Zero Gravity. I also quite like the look of the Schrade Push Button Tactical pen, which apparently accepts Fisher refills. Any feedback from people who have used any of these would be most welcome.
Pencils do work well in the wet, but I find they break too easily, and mostly they lack decent pocket clips so I can never find them when I need them.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Thanks for all the advice. I have owned a couple of Fisher pens and found them good in that they do work in all conditions, but not so satisfactory in that they were too thin and slippery for my liking. However, the Fisher Clutch pen looks as if it might get around this problem (although it is very expensive in the UK), as might the Zero Gravity. I also quite like the look of the Schrade Push Button Tactical pen, which apparently accepts Fisher refills. Any feedback from people who have used any of these would be most welcome.
Pencils do work well in the wet, but I find they break too easily, and mostly they lack decent pocket clips so I can never find them when I need them.
Then sounds like you need the Perfect Pencil. Or for the frugal set...

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Like I said, the Space Pen refill will fit into any pen body that fits Parker refills. I think the Retro 51 Tornado would work well for you. Great clip. Nice and girthy. Solid construction. You can get them in pretty much any color you like, and they should be well under your 50 quid budget. The stock rollerball works well, but you can throw in the Space Pen refill if you need the upside down writing underwater capability.

Thanks again for all the advice. I've not exactly come to a conclusion, but left it in the hands of my partner by suggesting three pens she might like to buy me for my birthday. They are the Fisher Clutch, the Fisher Zero G and the Schrade Pen Push Button, which takes Fisher cartridges. They all look tough, quick to stow and deploy, and easy to grip, not being too thin.

I recommend Noodler's Polar ink for harsh cold conditions. It is completely permanent (cannot be removed by water or bleach), and it will not freeze.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

My kind partner bought me a Fisher Clutch, and so far I am very impressed. It sits nicely in my hand, being solid and easy to grip, and has a real quality feel to it. The push button action is solid enough that the business end shouldn't accidentally emerge in my pocket, yet it deploys when I need it to. The clip seems firmly attached, and holds well in a shirt or jacket pocket. I also like the rugged look of it, with its understated black finish.
I've already tested it out while walking round a farm on a very wet day, and it coped admirably. There was no messing about trying to get it to start writing, it didn't skip and the notes I made in a Rite in the Rain notebook were easily legible after the event.
This is just an initial impression, but so far I'm well pleased. It hardly qualifies as a refined writing instrument, and might not be top choice for somebody wanting to take notes in a lengthy board meeting, but then that's not what I was after.

Good result, Rite in the Rain was a new name to me, after Googling it looks like the perfect product for those that need to take notes outside.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Tombow Airpress works well for me, I've ha them for a few years now for that very reason.. It's also cheap enough that if the adverse conditions destroy the pen, or separate me from it, I'll not be shedding tears.

Six months on and the Fisher pen is still in regular use, although I'm sitting working at home rather than out in the fields where it is most at home. When it was required outside, however, it performed admirably, and it now serves as a reminder that better days will come.

You cannot use a pen in wet conditions so don't even try. I never had a problem with pencils breaking because I always carried a sharpener; 2B was ideal but needed regular sharpening, 1B was acceptable. Like fountain pens, you don't press hard. Here is a clip and sharpener which is useful;
pencil junior.JPG

Six months on and the Fisher pen is still in regular use, although I'm sitting working at home rather than out in the fields where it is most at home. When it was required outside, however, it performed admirably, and it now serves as a reminder that better days will come.
I've had my Uni Power Tank (+ refills) for years now. It writes in the wet, upside down, even down to -20° C. An excellent and inexpensive pen IMO. :cornut:

Top Bottom