What's new

Pellet Gun

I just learned a lot about air rifles reading a couple of articles on urban varmint hunting. I did not even know it was a thing.
Me neither till a buddy told me. Pretty cool though... Expensive rifles from what they say. I’d like to shoot one.

Finally received the red Ryder I ordered.

haven’t had time to take it out of the box but the packaging is nice!

7E94F8DC-E55A-411F-B395-00F2A9981B89.jpeg93CC7290-3916-4204-B20A-936CADD51E33.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Careful you don't put your eye out!"

Seriously, unlike lead pellets, steel BBs ricochet like crazy, so do wear some safety specs. Then get ready for some major fun.

I was out shooting my HW75, a single stroke pneumatic pistol this morning. It's a beast to ****, but fun chasing a tin can around the back yard. It rather looks like a 1911 on steroids, but is extremely accurate. I adjusted the trigger down to a short two stage with a pull of 12 oz. It is a single shot, push a button and the slide piviots up and over, hinged at the muzzle end, insert a pellet, then the hard part is closing. Once closed you **** a hammer and fire. Nice thing is you can practice dry firing by simply cocking the hammer and firing, no compressed air to release.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was out shooting my HW75, a single stroke pneumatic pistol this morning. It's a beast to ****, but fun chasing a tin can around the back yard. It rather looks like a 1911 on steroids, but is extremely accurate. I adjusted the trigger down to a short two stage with a pull of 12 oz. It is a single shot, push a button and the slide piviots up and over, hinged at the muzzle end, insert a pellet, then the hard part is closing. Once closed you **** a hammer and fire. Nice thing is you can practice dry firing by simply cocking the hammer and firing, no compressed air to release.

Sounds a lot like my Beeman P1 Magnum. It even takes 1911 grips. Mine has two c0cking levels. Different levels of power.

Sounds a lot like my Beeman P1 Magnum. It even takes 1911 grips. Mine has two c0cking levels. Different levels of power.
That sounds more like the HW 45, I think HW made the P1. They are spring air guns and are unusual in having two cocking or power levels. Mine is the HW75, which is sort of like a pump up but one stroke only, no spring jerk when firing, just totally smooth and easier to shoot accurately than the P1 or HW45. They made the HW75 a bit different in that it does not take 1911 grips, I would have liked 1911 grips but choose the recoilless action over the more standard 1911 grip. The target grips on it are great.

I have a couple of old S&W 78g CO2 pistols that mimic my S&W M41. One of them is a much earlier model that has an adjustable trigger and it is good. I am also in the process of building up some of the Crosman let me say 2240 types. The 2240 is a CO2 pistol, and you can customize much like an AR 15. The basic model has a rather crude trigger which is easily fixed. I have a complete lower grip housing with a 3 lever trigger built awaiting some parts, a lower tube that holds the valve, CO2 cartridge and hammer (really more of a striker) an aftermarket upper breech with 3 grub screws, vs the one screw from Crosman to hold the barrel, and a Lothar Walther .22 barrel. Everything is on hold awaiting barrels to the vendor. I have one in .177 cal, an put a scope or red dot on it and hold it right and it is as accurate as a lot of rifles.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
That sounds more like the HW 45, I think HW made the P1. They are spring air guns and are unusual in having two cocking or power levels. Mine is the HW75, which is sort of like a pump up but one stroke only, no spring jerk when firing, just totally smooth and easier to shoot accurately than the P1 or HW45. They made the HW75 a bit different in that it does not take 1911 grips, I would have liked 1911 grips but choose the recoilless action over the more standard 1911 grip. The target grips on it are great.

I have a couple of old S&W 78g CO2 pistols that mimic my S&W M41. One of them is a much earlier model that has an adjustable trigger and it is good. I am also in the process of building up some of the Crosman let me say 2240 types. The 2240 is a CO2 pistol, and you can customize much like an AR 15. The basic model has a rather crude trigger which is easily fixed. I have a complete lower grip housing with a 3 lever trigger built awaiting some parts, a lower tube that holds the valve, CO2 cartridge and hammer (really more of a striker) an aftermarket upper breech with 3 grub screws, vs the one screw from Crosman to hold the barrel, and a Lothar Walther .22 barrel. Everything is on hold awaiting barrels to the vendor. I have one in .177 cal, an put a scope or red dot on it and hold it right and it is as accurate as a lot of rifles.
Great thread!

Where are you getting your Crosman mods? Tim MacMurray at Mac-1? Been a while since I've shot CO2, so I've not kept up with what's out there, though I do have a 20# bulk tank sitting here in my apartment.

Had three 78s over the years, one of which had factory wooden grips. All had adapters to accommodate small hang tanks for bulk filling. Are you bulk filling? Beats cartridges hands down. Also helps stabilize your pistol for competitive events such as silhouette shooting.

Also have a Beeman P1 in storage somewhere. Great pistol, which even impressed some national-class 1911 competitors at my club. Mine has wraparound walnut grips, and had a trigger job by Dave "Triggerman" Slade. Highly recommended.

Given the ammo shortage, more and more shooters are looking at airguns with new respect. They sparingly count out their rounds on range days while I just punch bull after bull at 50 yards with my JW-70.

Life is good at Rancho Pneumatico!

On line, there is an ebay seller called needfulthings that has a lot of upgrade parts. I have a barrel and 3 screw steel breech on back order from Alliance Hobby. I have looked up and ordered parts directly from Crosman and again on eBay a wonderful upgrade for the trigger called a supersear.

I had cataract surgery on my dominate, shooting eye last Tuesday. Been playing with some pellet guns all week and got more serious today. I set up my pellet trap at 30 yards ( long paces) and started with my Feinwerkbau 124d with a Williams receiver sight and a globe front. I replaced the post front with an aperture ring so you center the circular target in the front ring. My targets and ring were not matched for the distance properly so the best I could do was about a 1/2" group.

Next I brought out a Diana 54 Airking pro with a big Hawke Airmax scope 6-24 and got it dialed in, nice thing was that I did not need a spotting scope. That thing is a bear to **** though. Ended up with ragged one hole 3 shot groups.

Finally late this afternoon I got my Feinwerkbau 300s match rifle out, and quickly figured the cheap plastic Caldwell front rest just was not going to cut it for this good rifls, so got my Sinclair rest and a owl ear rear bag set up. It took me a while to dial the receiver sight in on it as markings are for the German language and a little confusing, like on elevation knob H means low, T means high. When I finished up I shot 3 3 shot groups the final being 3/4" at 30 yards , again with Iron sights.

I'm hoping when my eye and then the other which is scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks settle down I might do better. I am pleased with the results so far, I am/was nearsighted and even though my eyes are nowhere as close together as before the surgery I am seeing better without any glasses, have not worn them in 3 days now although sitting here on my laptop with the screen about 24 inches away the print is a bit fuzzy. I know I will need reading glasses but am loving the good distant vision now.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Thinking about a .22 Benjamin Kratos and a hand pump. The way I see it the propellant is cheap and I get free cardio! :lol: Anyone have experience with that PCP rifle?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thinking about a .22 Benjamin Kratos and a hand pump. The way I see it the propellant is cheap and I get free cardio! :lol: Anyone have experience with that PCP rifle?

No experience with that particular rifle or any hand pump for a PCP, but when I was looking into getting my first PCP gun, my limited research showed me that you can't generate enough pressure with a hand pump to get the performance I wanted, no matter how fit you are. YMMV. To get the performance I was looking for, you have to buy a tank that you can fill at a dive shop or buy a compressor made for airguns (Your shop compressor won't get you there). I opted to get a used/refurbished tank with the eventual goal of a compressor.

Nice looking PCP air rifle. A lot of gun for the money. You'd have to pay twice the money to get the things that it is missing, namely an air regulator, match grade trigger, etc. In the reviews at Pyramid Arms one user does get it aired up with a hand pump though! For me, using a hand pump (180 strokes!) would take all of the fun out of it.

Last edited:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
My cousin use to try to shoot me with his slug gun when I would walk past his house to school when I was a kid. Needless to say later in life he spent time in HMP for various firearm offences. He hit another Cousin on the eyebrow with his air gun. Oh well happy days.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
No experience with that particular rifle or any hand pump for a PCP, but when I was looking into getting my first PCP gun, my limited research showed me that you can't generate enough pressure with a hand pump to get the performance I wanted, no matter how fit you are. YMMV. To get the performance I was looking for, you have to buy a tank that you can fill at a dive shop or buy a compressor made for airguns (Your shop compressor won't get you there). I opted to get a used/refurbished tank with the eventual goal of a compressor.

Nice looking PCP air rifle. A lot of gun for the money. You'd have to pay twice the money to get the things that it is missing, namely an air regulator, match grade trigger, etc. In the reviews at Pyramid Arms one user does get it aired up with a hand pump though! For me, using a hand pump (180 strokes!) would take all of the fun out of it.
Excellent advice.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My shooting range is flooded, so I stayed home and shot my Gamo Bone Collector for a bit today before the rain started up again.

Top Bottom