What's new

Pella vs Walgreen's GEM

OK, I finally have a shot comparing the edge grinds on a coated blade from Ted Pella, and a blade from a 10 pack of GEM by Persona Super Stainless from Walgreen's. This is not the best picture ever taken, but I think it gets the idea across.
On the left is the blade from Ted Pella, on the right the blade from Walgreen's.
proxy.php

I think you should be able to see where the two grind angles are pretty different in length. As I've mentioned before, this still doesn't confirm or deny if the Walgreen's blades are coated.:rolleyes:

I have a "new" GEM that I want to try out. I think the prevailing thought is that the Pella Blades are the way to go but my question I guess really is "Is it worth buying the Walgreens blades or will I just be supremely dissappointed and it would be better to wait for some Pella blades?"

I find the Pella blade to be the better blade, but both are better than the PALs I use on occasion.

OK, I finally have a shot comparing the edge grinds on a coated blade from Ted Pella, and a blade from a 10 pack of GEM by Persona Super Stainless from Walgreen's. This is not the best picture ever taken, but I think it gets the idea across.

Excellent work! What did you use to get the picture?

Excellent work! What did you use to get the picture?

Just my old Sony 5.1 Mega Pixels Cyber-shot:blush: I set the blades on a paddle strop and set the camera to Macro mode and held it close. Then I cropped the image to enlarge the detail. This was the only shot out of about 15 that looked decent. I've actually attempted to get this type of shot for quite a while, but I guess the planets were properly lined tonight:rolleyes:

Philipfromga, I'd say go for some blades from Walgreen's to get started. If you like the SE shave, and who doesn't:wink:, you can track down some Pella blades to compare. There has been some 5 or 10 packs up on the BST, although for some strange reason I can't recall who has been selling them, a little help guys?

Forgot to add, all the SE blades I have used benefit from hand stropping, as instructed by Dave's great video. Dave, when you getting a new camera for some more vids?

Last edited:
Top Bottom