What's new

Pelikans

I picked up a couple of birds on the ‘bay! A 140 OB nib and a 400 M nib, but it is missing the cap. A couple of questions will an old style M400 cap fit the 400? Is there any things I should watch when installing the fiction fit nib? I will post pics when I am able! Thanks for the help!!!

Tom

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Congrats on the "new" pens.

Friction fit nib units are pretty rare, are you sure the threaded collar isn't stuck? Sometimes only the nib and feed come out but that isn't what's supposed to happen. Yeah, pics would help.

The caps will interchange, Tom.

Haven't tried an OB in my 140 (mine is a F) but enjoy. I hear those 50's OB nibs are great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

06BBDDC5-B610-4A46-ADEE-B9B6C0213329.jpeg
D69789F4-1779-4D9F-9FD0-DAAB4F309B40.jpeg
1C5C803A-EDF1-43FE-9D27-8F2E9712EF1E.jpeg
9366A11D-24B8-4F64-8653-CC850D0CF6EE.jpeg
OK here are the pics!!!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Excellent, that 400 has a nice early pre-1955 nib, those are sweet! Some flexy ones out there, is yours?

My question is, why do you think it's friction fit? If you really, really need to remove the nib unit (not always recommended on the early pens) I would start soaking the section end and giving it a gentle twist after a day. Be careful not to damage the lamellae of the hard rubber feed, use a towel in the crook of a finger with your thumb on the gold nib. Should hopefully unscrew. I also caution you not to try the 140 cap on the 400, it's shorter and may hit, twisting the tines.

8F064CDC-2250-4A3E-9750-E9508E96FA8E.jpeg
8BD0EF8F-19C9-4BF4-9E76-DEEC8C360082.jpeg
Excellent, that 400 has a nice early pre-1955 nib, those are sweet! Some flexy ones out there, is yours?

My question is, why do you think it's friction fit? If you really, really need to remove the nib unit (not always recommended on the early pens) I would start soaking the section end and giving it a gentle twist after a day. Be careful not to damage the lamellae of the hard rubber feed, use a towel in the crook of a finger with your thumb on the gold nib. Should hopefully unscrew. I also caution you not to try the 140 cap on the 400, it's shorter and may hit, twisting the tines.
Here is a picture of the section with the nib removed. Is that a polystyrene collar that seems to be stuck?

Tom

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yeah, those clear plastic collars are from the early '60s, that must be the 140. They are crap and should be replaced, if you need one let me know. The hard part is getting it out without damaging the threads or section. Looks like a couple cracks already in the collar, that will help removing it, Tom.

Thanks, Yes Sir I will need one. May try a light touch with an easy-out. Anything I need to know about reinstalling the nib and feed in new collar? And yes that is the 140, the 400 has ink leaking past the piston and out the fill knob, so I guess pulling the piston mechanism on it!

Tom

I had set it aside and had forgot about it! I couldn’t get nib and feed into the new collar, also I am not sure how to get the piston out.

Tom

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Getting the filler out ain't easy, that's for sure. I'll gladly set the nib unit up if you want, it's a little tricky too sometimes.

I really appreciate the offer and I would be happy for you to set it up for me! Send me your address and I will send them to you!

Tom

Top Bottom