What's new

Pelikan 140 Questions

I am thinking of getting a Pelikan 140 and wondered what folks had to say in terms of overall impressions, size compared to other popular pens and thoughts regarding nib choice.

Thanks in advance for the input!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good choice in my book! The size is a little smaller than an M400, same diameter. Nibs are usually much more flexible than any modern Pelikan (unless you happen to find a D nib) and just a little bit smaller than the 400. Common problems are brassing of the clip and cap band as the gold was a little thinner on this model. Some nibs from the later period (early 60s) have cracked collars made of clear plastic but can be replaced.

These are super durable everyday user pens, I find them quite comfortable when posted. Almost all the vintage 140 nibs are gold and usually run wider and wetter than moderns, the B and BB is much more of a stub too. I really enjoy some of the oblique 140 nibs I have.

My collecting started with German student pens and eventually I ended up with quite a few!

The odd colors command a much higher price than the green striped.

Thanks Doug - I figured you would chime in!

I'm looking for a nice user and Rick Propas has a good selection - I know he's not cheap, but I think his prices are fair for fully reserviced pens (he's charging $125).

If you know of any other reputable sources, let me know, but he seems to be the guy who pops up all the time.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I love mine.

attachment.php

To me it is about the same size as my M405. Smooth writer with just a little flex. Good luck with your hunt.

Mike - what nib do you have?

I'm left-handed, so the flex doesn't give me the same results you righties have, but I do like a bit of give/spring in my nibs.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I am left handed too. A flexy pen gives me fits, but this one works great. The nib is 14ct (585) gold in Medium.

I picked up a Pelikan 140 from Rick earlier this year and it has become one of my favorite pens. The nib (an EF) is incredibly smooth and there is a bit of flex to it that provides a really nice cushiony writing experience, but is able to keep up with quick writing without trouble. It is a little on the short side when it is not posted, but I do not find it too small. And when posted, it is no problem for me. If it is helpful to get a sense of its size, there is a photo below of it with some other pens with which you may be familiar.

(L-R): Parker 51 (Aero), Esterbrook J size, Pelikan 400, Pelikan 140
$IMG_5323.jpg

$IMG_5324.jpg

Brian - thanks for the pics - very helpful.

Basically, its smallish when compared to many modern pens, but very consistent with the size of most popular vintage pens.

FWIW, I often do a lot of writing and, with the exception of a couple of larger pens, I find I'm happiest with pens the size of the popular vintage models.

Wow, now i am interested in picking one up! i should know better than to check here so often.
Good luck in your search.

Brian - thanks for the pics - very helpful.

Basically, its smallish when compared to many modern pens, but very consistent with the size of most popular vintage pens.

FWIW, I often do a lot of writing and, with the exception of a couple of larger pens, I find I'm happiest with pens the size of the popular vintage models.

You're welcome. It is no trouble. Your assessment is exactly what I would say ... smallish by the standard of most modern pens, but consistent with vintage ones. I, too, prefer the size of vintage pens to the larger modern ones.

Top Bottom