What's new

PEER GYNT?

I picked up this razor today. Any information? Is it referring to the play of 1876, the opera of 1938, the man (Grieg), or none of the above? Any idea who the manufacturer was, C&G or G&C? It appears to have been made after 1914 because of the "made in". At first, I thought it could possibly an ERN, I read that they had a razor named PEER but now I don't think so.

2019-02-07 16.25.25.jpg

2019-02-07 16.46.48.jpg

I picked up this razor today. Any information? Is it referring to the play of 1876, the opera of 1938, the man (Grieg), or none of the above? Any idea who the manufacturer was, C&G or G&C? It appears to have been made after 1914 because of the "made in". At first, I thought it could possibly an ERN, I read that they had a razor named PEER but now I don't think so.

View attachment 950502
View attachment 950503

The original play Peer Gynt (on which all the adaptations are based) was by Henrik Ibsen, who commissioned Grieg to compose the associated incidental music, so to the extent that it's associated with any real person, it would be Ibsen. However, in the play, Peer boasts of his hunting knife a couple of times, so a reasonable assumption would be that your razor was inspired by the blade itself or by its wielder/owner, the fictional Peer Gynt.

Top Bottom