What's new

Peening Tips ?

I've been trying my hand at rescaling a few razors and have gotten pretty decent at shaping the scales, but consistently have issues with peening, particularly at the pivot. I bend the pin nearly every time.

I really don't think I am pecking too hard because it takes me about a hundred taps just to keep the washer from slipping off the end, using a tablespoon for the hammer, and a brass rod/washer kit off ebay. I suspect I may be tilting the pin off vertical because it bends the same direction every time. And I may be leaving too much pin sticking out as well.

Wondering if anyone might have any expert tips on this part of the process ?

Legion

Staff member
I've never used one of those kits. I use a length of rod and a couple of washers, so take this for what it's worth, but I think you might be right with the theory you are leaving too much pin hanging out.

Yep. Too much pin is the biggest issue. I use flush cut side cutters. I peen one side in a vice so its ready, then put it all together in the scales. All parts. Then tape or clamp it all tight. Then add one extra washer to the pin and cut flush on that while squeezing everything tight. Remove the extra washer and start the peen.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've never used one of those kits. I use a length of rod and a couple of washers, so take this for what it's worth, but I think you might be right with the theory you are leaving too much pin hanging out.
Why didn't I think of that. I am starting to wonder what else they didn't teach me at university 🤔.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Yup, pins too long. Don't despair, keep a 6" mill bastard file handy to shorten it. There are probably better choices for the file, but 6" mill bastard Nicholson is available universally gets the job done quickly. I use washers and collars and it works for those also. Hold everything securely because the file will want to bite and kind of snag until you get it orientated just right to keep the pin flat. If you have a file that has been used on steel, buy a new one to use on brass pins and only use it on brass in the future.

First invest in a small ball peen hammer 2-4 ounce, polish the ball, (600-1k wet and dry and metal polish, or buff with green Stainless compound on a buffer to a smooth stria free finish. Dome and polish the flat face also.

I have read about using a spoon for years, but it never worked for me.

As Jerry said peen one end first, held in a vise or drill chuck. Then pin the wedge side first, a rubber eraser will hold the scales in proper alignment while pinning, tape together if needed.

The extra washer is about right for pin length, I use the rod thickness 1/16th and file smooth to about the same height. The “spacer” height depends on the wire cutters/ flush cutters you are using. Better to go long and file a bit more. I too find a 6-inch file ideal.

You can always remove height by filing if the pin is not tightening. Once your pin starts to tighten flip and peen the first side some more or you will run out of pin length if you trim/file too much from one side and have uneven pins.

When tapping the pin, make a downward glancing blow on the corner of the pin with the smooth ball, not on the center of the pin, this will bend a pin. The goal is to smoothly mushroom the head. Tap around the pin and move the scale so you are tapping the corner of the pin.

As it gets tighter flip the scale to peen both side equally. With a polished ball you can with practice make a smooth domed pin head that will required only a bit of polish. But no harm in filing, sanding and polishing a pin with metal polish to get a uniform, smooth, polished pin head.

2 (1).jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
IMG_0755_2.jpg
IMG_0756_2.jpg

Great tips, thanks !

I am definitely leaving more than a washer thickness, and was not aiming at the corners of the pin. As soon as I get some more washers on hand, I will get back at it.

And the drill chuck idea is solid - I was holding them with pliers at first, but it was roughing up the pin too much so I stopped doing that pretty quick.

A drill chuck from an old garage sale or thrift store hand drill works just fine, you may need to make a base,(hole drilled in a piece of wood) to make it more stable. The other nice feature of the drill chuck is, you can rotate the chuck and get a nice even peen on the pin. And the whole pin is well supported by the chuck jaws.

I use a near NOS drill press chuck bought for $2 at a garage sale.

Last edited:
Always file your pin flat as in Marty's pics. It helps to get a nice mushroom shape. Start with two extra washers until you get the feel for it. It takes a few tries before you figure out what length is best for you. Here is my setup .. drill chuck mounted on my anvil.
IMG_20230114_035908288.jpg

This document explains the difference between single and double cut, and what a bastard file is:

I first bought a 6 inch single-cut bastard file and then moved up to an 8 inch. The 8 feels more comfortable in my hands.

I have struggled to efficiently tighten pins and recently just hit the pin a tad harder (perhaps 10% harder) by just relaxing my wrist and, voila, a nicely tightened pin with no bending. I was just being too cautious.

A good test is to strike the hammer on the palm of your non-dominant hand.

Just remember the deformation (i.e. mushrooming) is not caused by blunt force of the hammer but rather the frictional heat caused by the hammers blow. Light taps along the edge of the brass rod and time will give a nicer peen.

WOW, you guys made me go back to my mechanical engineering technology side of my brain from college :blink::lol:

Larry

Nice work, really like the smooth taper you put on the scales, very nice.

I loaded your photo into a editor and zoomed in to see the peening detail. You can clean them up a bit, sanding with 600 wet and dry, a small piece under your finger. Your finger will conform to the pin head, sand in both directions to get a smooth domed head. 600, 1k and good metal polish or a buffer will smooth and polish.

I purposely leave a bit long, use the pin rod as a cut off gage and file to shape once pinned tight. Finish with sandpaper and buffer.

Are you using a hammer or still the spoon?

I've been trying my hand at rescaling a few razors and have gotten pretty decent at shaping the scales, but consistently have issues with peening, particularly at the pivot. I bend the pin nearly every time.

I really don't think I am pecking too hard because it takes me about a hundred taps just to keep the washer from slipping off the end, using a tablespoon for the hammer, and a brass rod/washer kit off ebay. I suspect I may be tilting the pin off vertical because it bends the same direction every time. And I may be leaving too much pin sticking out as well.

Wondering if anyone might have any expert tips on this part of the process ?
Here's a video I made a while back, you may find it of some use to you.

Top Bottom