What's new

Peeking out from under the rock

Forgive me B&B, it has been 4 months and 23 days since my last post here on the forums. That doesn't mean I've stopped shaving, of course. But I haven't been particularly good at it either! I've been better at accumulating shaving related stuff than using it. Did you know I got a Fatip slant back in June last year, and I haven't even tried it yet? I was part of the delightful unobtanium Polsilver PIF and I haven't tried the blades yet. Time between shaves can be anywhere from one to four weeks (lately). What did I do? I bought more stuff! Stirling Nag Champa soap+AS and Stirling Gold Club (Bvlgari black scent clone) soap+AS. I need an intervention for sure.

So I kind of staged my own mini-intervention, by trying to figure out why I was shaving less. One of the reasons is working from home, and no need to look neat for going to the office. We don't have a webcam policy so it's fine if I go slightly caveman now and then. Thing is, I enjoy the shaving ritual, the scents and challenge of getting a smooth shave. Other reasons..

1. Stuff gathers in the bathroom and we only have the one. By stuff I mean things that end up on the counter next to the sink and sort of stay there. It gets a bit messy and due to lacking organization (see point 2) there wasn't too much room to put things away either.

2. Overwhelming number choices of soaps, AS, blades, razors, etc, etc. I'm spoiled for choice for sure. I have everything in an Excel spreadsheet, so I know what I have. But I don't pre-plan any shaves, so when I go for that shave, I'll end up grabbing whatever is closest. Which also leads me to point 3.

3. Absolutely no overview. I have three shelves in the tall cabinet in the bathroom. The tall cabinet is pretty deep and the shelves are pretty tall. Tons of stuff ended up stuffed in there, and eventually gets pushed to the back. Basically, I couldn't find anything, so as mentioned in pt. 2, I grabbed whatever was closest.

Tonight I solved all 3 issues, so I have no more excuses. I look forward to re-discovering my collection of.. stuff. And as weird as it might sound, but I think I'm going to pre-plan which soaps I'm going to use. 😁
(2 shaving creams, 31 shaving soaps, 20 shaving soap samples, 25 after shaves and probably more. It's time to join the 3017 thread!)

You might also look into the GRUME thread by @FoolishMortal to enjoy what you have.

I’m not strong enough to limit myself to only one soap but I try to work my way steadily through them.

Currently I use:
Proraso red exclusively for headshaving until it is gone
and for my face
Vitos Extra Super Coco
alternately with
Karo Classic

My joker soap is Officina Artigiana Milano if I get bored of the other two but that doesn’t happen that often.

One day I shave my face the other day my noggin so I can look forward to it every day.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Forgive me B&B, it has been 4 months and 23 days since my last post here on the forums. That doesn't mean I've stopped shaving, of course. But I haven't been particularly good at it either! I've been better at accumulating shaving related stuff than using it. Did you know I got a Fatip slant back in June last year, and I haven't even tried it yet? I was part of the delightful unobtanium Polsilver PIF and I haven't tried the blades yet. Time between shaves can be anywhere from one to four weeks (lately). What did I do? I bought more stuff! Stirling Nag Champa soap+AS and Stirling Gold Club (Bvlgari black scent clone) soap+AS. I need an intervention for sure.

So I kind of staged my own mini-intervention, by trying to figure out why I was shaving less. One of the reasons is working from home, and no need to look neat for going to the office. We don't have a webcam policy so it's fine if I go slightly caveman now and then. Thing is, I enjoy the shaving ritual, the scents and challenge of getting a smooth shave. Other reasons..

1. Stuff gathers in the bathroom and we only have the one. By stuff I mean things that end up on the counter next to the sink and sort of stay there. It gets a bit messy and due to lacking organization (see point 2) there wasn't too much room to put things away either.

2. Overwhelming number choices of soaps, AS, blades, razors, etc, etc. I'm spoiled for choice for sure. I have everything in an Excel spreadsheet, so I know what I have. But I don't pre-plan any shaves, so when I go for that shave, I'll end up grabbing whatever is closest. Which also leads me to point 3.

3. Absolutely no overview. I have three shelves in the tall cabinet in the bathroom. The tall cabinet is pretty deep and the shelves are pretty tall. Tons of stuff ended up stuffed in there, and eventually gets pushed to the back. Basically, I couldn't find anything, so as mentioned in pt. 2, I grabbed whatever was closest.

Tonight I solved all 3 issues, so I have no more excuses. I look forward to re-discovering my collection of.. stuff. And as weird as it might sound, but I think I'm going to pre-plan which soaps I'm going to use. 😁
(2 shaving creams, 31 shaving soaps, 20 shaving soap samples, 25 after shaves and probably more. It's time to join the 3017 thread!)
Very interesting!

Thinking back to my tipping point, it was the intersection of:
1) new bathroom space,
2) realizing affordable DE blades are vastly superior to expensive cartridges, and
3) upgrading my razor hardware.
That crossroads started a 10-year daily shave journey that keeps getting better. Technique immediately improved. I then discovered not all products appeal, and that is ok. For instance, I don’t care for the aggressive razors so many others love. I’ll take a good boar or badger over a synthetic brush any day. And finally, I staked a claim to this wonderful corner of the internet where gentlemen share a passion and enjoy each other’s company.

My wish is that you too have reached that same crossroads, and that the same wonderful journey has begun.

05788DFD-53D6-4593-B6AD-886D9FBD2BE7.jpeg

Wow, I didn't know you were gone. I have seen some of your threads being commented on, I guess they were revived then. I pull out 2 soaps a week, one hard and one artisan. I have a wild card day where I pull out another soap, but that is also the day that I pull out the 2 for the upcoming week. It is the same with razors for me. I use a vintage razor that I don't want to use daily on the wild card day and pull out two razors, one Artist Club, that I alternate. I keep other stuff like pre-shave and witch hazel toward the front where I can get it daily. I like a few different products depending on how my face feels.

Top Bottom