What's new

Pearl tang covers removal

Hello all
Been lurking around and picking up a lot of great info on this forum...thank you!
Picked up a Boker waldorf and it has pearl covers on the tangs. Not sure of the technical term for them but i want to remove them to clean-up and glass bead blast the steel.

Any tips for removing the pearl covers would be appreciated.

Looks like they're pinned but absolutely flush to the pearl. This is my first tang cover restore so I'm looking for any advice or help. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200213_181939_HDR.jpg
    20200213_181939_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20200213_181925_HDR.jpg
    20200213_181925_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20200213_181951_HDR.jpg
    20200213_181951_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200213_181930_HDR.jpg
    20200213_181930_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
If it was my razor .I probably would not remove the decorative cover on the tang .The material is probably a 100 years old and may have become brittle .Light sanding on blade only with high grit mico-mesh by hand would clean up blade .Then polish with a high quality metal polish .

Beautiful razor. I don't know how to remove those covers, but agree not to even attempt it. Just restore the blade and be done. There is more to loose in trying than not.

You would either have to drill or punch the pins out and then deal with any adhesive. Given the age the adhesive may come off with either acetone or hot water.

Good luck if you try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I restored an early Simmons Keen Kutter with an ivory covered tang. It was popping off a little from the pins. I used CA (Superglue) to fill in the gaps between the ivory and the steel and then wiped away the excess with acetone and polished it up. It worked great.

Thanks all. I'll post when I get around to the razor. My OCD kicks in when I see some rust behind the covers. Makes me want to tear them all apart. It would be tough to re pin the covers because they're flush with the Pearl. Not even sure how they did that at the factory

Well if I was you I would leave them as one side has a crack in it, and if you remove them you might not get them back on.

But that is your choice but otherwise it will clean up nice as is, a beautiful razor for sure and once cleaned it will look stunning for sure.

Top Bottom