Razor: Gillette Tech, black bakelite handle
Blade: Astra Super Platinum
Brush: Opal 5 TGN Finest Badger
Pre-Shave: Dr. Bronner's Lavender Soap
Lather: Williams Mug Soap
Aftershave: Fine American Blend
Additional Care: Thayer's Witch Hazel

Lumii_20191206_215045321.jpg

Today's shave was inspired by Pearl Harbor Day. "A day which will live in infamy." 2,335 people were killed during the Japanese surprise attack, 4 battleships sunk and 4 more damaged representing the bulk of the Pacific fleet. The attack occured on a Sunday morning. I imagine most of the servicemen were on liberty that morning, perhaps engaging in their morning shave. I did my best to make this morning's shave as reminiscent of how those men might have shaved that morning. The prewar Gillette Tech was equipped with the 1942 service set bakelite handle and bottom cap (released after the US had entered the war). Unfortunately, I don't have the bakelite top cap. The razor is a top performer providing an excellent shave as I head off for a duty day myself. The William's Mug soap of course was certainly a soap available at the time and many of the men stationed at Pearl would have used that soap. It created a wonderful thick and slick comfortable lather in my Old Spice mug. The Opal handle was an obvious pairing as it is black and matched well with the black bakelite handle of the Tech. I finished off with Fine American Blend aftershave, a strong post shave feel and scent.

My ship visited Pearl Harbor once and we tied off across the water from the USS Arizona, literally a few hundred yards from the memorial. I had the pleasure of visiting it while we were there. The ship is still leaking oil all these years later. The survivors call the tiny goblets of oil slowly seeping from the decaying hulk, the tears of the ship. The Arizona suffered a direct hit to the armory from a Japanese plane, causing a devastating explosion. It sits as a stark reminder of a date which will live in infamy...enjoy your day, and remember those that fell and what the the day meant for the future of the world as it brought the US into the conflict.

Rating: 5 / 5

Near downtown Phoenix are all the expected trappings of State government: Capitol building, Senate and House chambers, etc. In the same area is what I refer to as a memorial park, a nice stretch of land upon which are plenty of statuary and other memorial objects. Among these are the signal mast, an anchor, and a 16" gun from the deck of the USS Arizona (and I believe a smaller one from the USS Missouri). It is one thing to be taught about the attacks, to read about the history or watch a documentary, but being able to physically see and touch these items brings a sobering depth to our simple knowledge.

When I was in my teens I remember seeing Tora!, Tora!, Tora! for the first time, and it really pissed me off. Not too long after that I saw Midway (I think it was in that order :wacko:) and thumped my chest and reveled in America's ability to come back and open a can of whoop *** on its enemy. It took years--and a healthy dose of maturity and genuine education--to realize the true reality and be able to separate that from Hollywood's liberties taken with history.

Mankind is by its very nature war-like and combative. There is always someone who wants power or wants what you have because they have not . . . or they just don't agree with what you believe. And then there's just plain, irrefutable evil. I don't classify WWII era Japan as evil--I certainly don't approve of their actions but in the context of war they were being strategic, and strategy in war most always includes tragedy. Mankind, in many ways, is strategic and therefore shall always carry--and carry out--the burden of tragedy.

I have not shaved yet this morning, but I will be using my special handled Merkur 38C, my daily driver, and will certainly be mindful of this tragic yet important day in American history.

IMG_0970.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Near downtown Phoenix are all the expected trappings of State government: Capitol building, Senate and House chambers, etc. In the same area is what I refer to as a memorial park, a nice stretch of land upon which are plenty of statuary and other memorial objects. Among these are the signal mast, an anchor, and a 16" gun from the deck of the USS Arizona (and I believe a smaller one from the USS Missouri). It is one thing to be taught about the attacks, to read about the history or watch a documentary, but being able to physically see and touch these items brings a sobering depth to our simple knowledge.

When I was in my teens I remember seeing Tora!, Tora!, Tora! for the first time, and it really pissed me off. Not too long after that I saw Midway (I think it was in that order :wacko:) and thumped my chest and reveled in America's ability to come back and open a can of whoop *** on its enemy. It took years--and a healthy dose of maturity and genuine education--to realize the true reality and be able to separate that from Hollywood's liberties taken with history.

Mankind is by its very nature war-like and combative. There is always someone who wants power or wants what you have because they have not . . . or they just don't agree with what you believe. And then there's just plain, irrefutable evil. I don't classify WWII era Japan as evil--I certainly don't approve of their actions but in the context of war they were being strategic, and strategy in war most always includes tragedy. Mankind, in many ways, is strategic and therefore shall always carry--and carry out--the burden of tragedy.

I have not shaved yet this morning, but I will be using my special handled Merkur 38C, my daily driver, and will certainly be mindful of this tragic yet important day in American history.

View attachment 1041468
That's a great handle! Is that custom done by you? Either way, its very well done. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Pearl Harbor Day.

I am grateful that I am able to share them, and that members such as you will set the table so we may gather 'round it.

The handle was made by Robert of Elite Razors. Beautifully done!

Pearl Harbor Day 2019

View attachment 1041423

Today's shave was inspired by Pearl Harbor Day. "A day which will live in infamy." 2,335 people were killed during the Japanese surprise attack, 4 battleships sunk and 4 more damaged representing the bulk of the Pacific fleet. The attack occured on a Sunday morning. I imagine most of the servicemen were on liberty that morning, perhaps engaging in their morning shave. I did my best to make this morning's shave as reminiscent of how those men might have shaved that morning. The prewar Gillette Tech was equipped with the 1942 service set bakelite handle and bottom cap (released after the US had entered the war). Unfortunately, I don't have the bakelite top cap. The razor is a top performer providing an excellent shave as I head off for a duty day myself. The William's Mug soap of course was certainly a soap available at the time and many of the men stationed at Pearl would have used that soap. It created a wonderful thick and slick comfortable lather in my Old Spice mug. The Opal handle was an obvious pairing as it is black and matched well with the black bakelite handle of the Tech. I finished off with Fine American Blend aftershave, a strong post shave feel and scent.

My ship visited Pearl Harbor once and we tied off across the water from the USS Arizona, literally a few hundred yards from the memorial. I had the pleasure of visiting it while we were there. The ship is still leaking oil all these years later. The survivors call the tiny goblets of oil slowly seeping from the decaying hulk, the tears of the ship. The Arizona suffered a direct hit to the armory from a Japanese plane, causing a devastating explosion. It sits as a stark reminder of a date which will live in infamy...enjoy your day, and remember those that fell and what the the day meant for the future of the world as it brought the US into the conflict.

Thanks for your patriotic post.
I remember my dad in this day.
Dad spent the entire campaign on Tinian. He was in the third group of B-29s to land.
The 258th Photo Operations group. His mission was to photograph the targets before and after the mission.
He was also involved in submarine reconnaissance.
A solo mission with a pilot in a B-17 outfitted for reconnaissance was part of dad’s duty.
Dad probably had a razor like yours. Dad shaved with Gillette Super Speeds when I was young. I’m going to get a Tech as a remembrance razor.
Thanks for the memories.
Ed

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'm gonna go with my Ranger Tech. Couldnt think of a more appropriate razor. Its production was halted after the U.S.' entrance into WWII. Gonna back it with a Rubberset 400 and maybe some Extra Extra Bio creme by Cella.

May it never be forgotten.
20191207_083633.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Thanks for your patriotic post.
I remember my dad in this day.
Dad spent the entire campaign on Tinian. He was in the third group of B-29s to land.
The 258th Photo Operations group. His mission was to photograph the targets before and after the mission.
He was also involved in submarine reconnaissance.
A solo mission with a pilot in a B-17 outfitted for reconnaissance was part of dad’s duty.
Dad probably had a razor like yours. Dad shaved with Gillette Super Speeds when I was young. I’m going to get a Tech as a remembrance razor.
Thanks for the memories.
Ed

It sounds like your father did some very important work. I am thankful for his service to our country. Thank you for posting this.

I'm gonna go with my Ranger Tech. Couldnt think of a more appropriate razor. Its production was halted after the U.S.' entrance into WWII. Gonna back it with a Rubberset 400 and maybe some Extra Extra Bio creme by Cella.

May it never be forgotten.View attachment 1041476

An excellent choice for a Pearl Harbor Day shave. Enjoy it.

Pearl Harbor Day 2019

View attachment 1041423

Great kit!! Very patriotic!

(Unfortunately, I shaved before remembering that this is Dec 7th!)

SOTD:

1941 Ranger Tech
Personna Lab Blue
Rubberset 400 #3
Modern Williams Mug Soap
Thayers Cucumber WH
Nivea Men Sensitive ASB

Japan: We'll give you a bloody nose because we think you lack the political will to keep your Pacific holdings. Lift the oil embargo, thanks.

US: Wrong.

Japan: Double down. We'll wage total war because we think you lack the political will to see it through. Get you to the bargaing table. Maybe we'll keep Manchuria and Indonesia.?

US: Wrong.

Japan: Double down again. Well, it doesn't look like we're gonna win but we'll keep fighting and maybe we can avoid occupation , you're tired of this, right ?

US : Tired of being wrong, yet ?

Today is my birthday. Went with Dickens from B&M for soap and AS on a Maggard synthetic, and a Razorock Lupo loaded with a fresh Voskhod.

Don't care for the scent but it was a fantastic shave nonetheless.

Dec 9: DEcember Shave #6 - Pearl Harbor Razor

Lather:
Stirling Ozark Mountain (sample)
Brush: PAA The Green Ray Hybrid Tribble Synthetic (24/57mm)
Razor: Gillette Hybrid Ranger Tech (1941)
Blade: Treet Platinum Super Stainless [13]
Balm: Stirling Gentleman Post-Shave Balm

Saturday was the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, but being in Canada, these things don't get mentioned on the daily news so I missed it. Up for today is the 1941 Hybrid Ranger Tech, what I consider the direct shaving result of the Pearl Harbor attack.

The regular Ranger Tech was launched the same year as Pearl Harbor (1941) but before the actual attack. As a result of the US going to war, the production of the Ranger Tech was halted so more brass could go to the war effort. They had a bunch of Ranger Tech parts already to be assembled, so they assembled the last batch after the attack. Trouble is some of the parts were already plated and some were not, so Gillette just assembled them as-is. The Hybrid Ranger Tech has a bare brass non-plated head with a nickel plated handle.

It shaves a bit more aggressively than a regular Super Speed, but feels very different. The entire baseplate is gently curved, not flat with dropped safety bars like the regular Super Speeds. Less blade rigidity, so it sings a bit more than a regular Super Speed. I like it.
proxy.php

Top Bottom