What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

So...I really should just go and order one then?
Yes , because the company has demonstrated that it stands strongly behind its products and replacing/ returning is a no brainer if there are issues.

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

Yes , because the company has demonstrated that it stands strongly behind its products and replacing/ returning is a no brainer if there are issues.

The company has also demonstrated:

1. They produce defective razors, lots of them. Weren’t most (all?) of the V1 razors defective? Now V2 has problems. Keep in mind V2 is the latest version and my razor is from the most current production run, run #4.

2. Producing a quality razor is not a priority for them, (see #1 above), if quality was a priority, they wouldn’t have initially sold all those obviously flawed V1 razors, and they would have made sure the V2 razors are done right, which clearly all of them aren’t.

3. Their quality control is seriously lacking. Again, this is a choice, not something beyond the company’s control. It’s one thing to have “surprise” defects during production (meaning somebody screwed up an otherwise well designed product during production) but it’s another thing entirely, to let defects like an adjuster knob that won’t turn all the way to its final setting, out the door. That literally requires 3 seconds to test. And a razor that clamps the blade on one side of the razor but not on the other? Is the Flexi meant to be an SE that uses DE blades? I wish someone had told me. I mean seriously, you had one job…..

It’s nice if they replace some people’s razors, however I still have to waste my time going through the return process with the vendor I purchased from. And, at the end of the day, despite the company’s words, their actions still show quite clearly that are ok with sending out sub par products, having apparently done the math and deciding they will make more money that way rather than by making sure they get the razors right, and only let quality products leave the factory.

I won’t begrudge anyone who chooses to patronize such a company, but I’m not going to do it. There are plenty of razor makers out there who actually walk the talk, and that’s where I’ll spend my hard earned cash, even if it costs me more.

The company has also demonstrated:

1. They produce defective razors, lots of them. Weren’t most (all?) of the V1 razors defective? Now V2 has problems. Keep in mind V2 is the latest version and my razor is from the most current production run, run #4.

2. Producing a quality razor is not a priority for them, (see #1 above), if quality was a priority, they wouldn’t have initially sold all those obviously flawed V1 razors, and they would have made sure the V2 razors are done right, which clearly all of them aren’t.

3. Their quality control is seriously lacking. Again, this is a choice, not something beyond the company’s control. It’s one thing to have “surprise” defects during production (meaning somebody screwed up an otherwise well designed product during production) but it’s another thing entirely, to let defects like an adjuster knob that won’t turn all the way to its final setting, out the door. That literally requires 3 seconds to test. And a razor that clamps the blade on one side of the razor but not on the other? Is the Flexi meant to be an SE that uses DE blades? I wish someone had told me. I mean seriously, you had one job…..

It’s nice if they replace some people’s razors, however I still have to waste my time going through the return process with the vendor I purchased from. And, at the end of the day, despite the company’s words, their actions still show quite clearly that are ok with sending out sub par products, having apparently done the math and deciding they will make more money that way rather than by making sure they get the razors right, and only let quality products leave the factory.

I won’t begrudge anyone who chooses to patronize such a company, but I’m not going to do it. There are plenty of razor makers out there who actually walk the talk, and that’s where I’ll spend my hard earned cash, even if it costs me more.
Feel free. You have your right to keep malice towards anyone you want to. It's your dollar to spend as you see right.

However point no 1 is just not true. So no point to push a point with you having just a few youtubers saying so. You have no idea how many razors they sold nor any idea about how many they replaced. So it's pure speculation.

And for arguments sakes even if they made all of the razors defective and replaced all of them, they did the best act ever in the customer service space.

Just to add another data point, got mine from batch 4 at Maggards & this thing is flawless in alignment & function. Smoother than the Rex Ambassador on all 6 settings!

The adjuster goes smoothly from 1 all the way to 6 and the top cap aligns perfectly with the baseplate (no blade loaded) all the way around, without cranking it down, even when rotated 180 degrees?

The more data points we have, regardless of outcome, the better for everyone.

I see the year being wrong here, but, believe me on this, I tried the correct year first, and have tried it again.

There has not yet been a response to my email, but I have no idea what time it is in India.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'll try registering mine and also call them up tomorrow to get straight from them on what's the deal on the registration part and report back here.

Anyone having issues with Pearl or issues with the spend of their hard earned dollars on the flexi can reach out to me as I can call them up locally and try to help out the best that I can.

I'll try registering mine and also call them up tomorrow to get straight from them on what's the deal on the registration part and report back here.

Anyone having issues with Pearl or issues with the spend of their hard earned dollars on the flexi can reach out to me as I can call them up locally and try to help out the best that I can.

Very generous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you that is a very king gesture.

Today I compared the Pearl Flexi V2 to the Maramusa adjustable on about 44 hours of growth

Soap & AS ETHOS Melange d'Agrumes

Blade Wizamet 2nd use

Brush Rhodium

1st pass WTG. I dialed both razors to their max setting which is 6 on the Pearl and 5 on the Tatara. The weight of the Pearl is definitely noticed but it is well balanced and feels good in the hand. Both razors were very smooth even maxed out, I did note slightly more blade feel on the Pearl. Quick rinse and both razors took down the majority of my beard.

2nd pass XTG. Very little difference in blade feel with this pass and both razors were again, very smooth. I did keep them both at max setting for this pass. I definitely could have stopped here and been DFS and BBS on my cheeks, but what fun would that be so....

3 rd pass ATG. I dialed the Tatara to 3.5 and the Pearl to 4. Both razors sailed thru the ATG pass and I was BBS all around.

The Maramusa is CNC 316 SS (blasted finish) The Pearl is CNC brass with a heavy matted Chrome finish. Slight edge to Maramusa. Both razors will probably out live me!

The Maramusa does not require a spring for it adjustability. Edge Maramusa

The Maramusa can easily be completely torn apart for cleaning the Pearl only breaks down to the 2 pieces. Edge Maramusa

The Maramusa is about 4 times the cost of the Flexi. Big edge for Pearl.

The Maramusa is lighter and is slightly more maneuverable with a lower height Top. This advantage depends on the weight you prefer and handle length.

Both razors gave me an excellent shave and I enjoy using both of them.

I do wish the adjustment indicator was larger on the Maramusa and the numbers on the Flexi were more prominent but other than those little details I plan on keeping both.

If I had to choose between the 3 razors I just compared and money was no object I would pick the Titanium Taiga, I prefer its weight and the large variation in shave levels it provides and it still can easily be broken down to clean, but there is a small voice in the back of my head saying the Maramusa doesn’t need a spring.
91B70017-B52C-440F-8A21-69A31D13D0CC.jpeg

Anybody been able to successfully register their Pearl on the Warranty page?
Jim

I messaged the owner of Pearl shaving with the issue of product registration failing and the QC in the Maggard batch

He acknowledged an issue with the product registration page and assured me that the website maintenance developer team was actively working on resolving it. Apparently it's go slow currently as his chief developer has contracted covid-19.

Regards the QC he mentioned that each successive runs were spaced out to get user feedback and fine-tune the design with minor tweaks and tuning to reduce the outliers.

He said and I quote him - he has a policy to replace razors with issues and actively changing the design. He also said his return rate of defective razors has dropped dramatically since V2 and they are miniscule and improving with each run. Apparently the V5 would be "100% error free".

I also asked what was coming next. He simply said - wait and watch for some future versions for some surprises.

Nothing more revealed, however I still want to put my money on raw brass finish with black/Red lettering! :001_rolle

Last edited:
Sorry for my English. I am not a native speaker.

My razor came in yesterday. I did not notice any problems with the head of the razor. Departures and gap are uniform. Maybe only 1 settings are slightly different on opposite sides of the head.

As a disadvantage, I will note the bounce inside the razor handle. When you shake it like a rattle. I think it's the retaining ring on the screw shaking. If the screw is pulled all the way down, the chatter stops. It was not possible to disassemble the machine. The screw fits very tightly. Does not affect shaving.

The razor's weight is not felt when shaving. Knurling allows you to confidently hold the machine with wet hands.
Compared to such razors as Yaqi (copy of 89th head), Razorock German 37 Slant, Colibri (all plates), Rockwell 6c (4-5 plates), Flexi shaves cleaner and softer.

Shaved 1 day stubble. Blade green Astra. Shaving razor settings. By the growth of the bristles 6 position. Across bristle growth 4 position. Against stubble growth 4 position. I shave my cheeks in three passes. Neck in 2 passes. The bottom line: a clean, comfortable shave. In some places it is cleaner than a Rockwell 5 plate. They constantly have to shave.
Note that the Flexi razor slides slower than the Rockwell 6c.
Flexi shaves more comfortably under the nose because of the bevels on the plate.
I liked my razor!

Top Bottom