What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine has arrived!

Heavy razor (not too heavy) and substantial feeling. Looks very well made, and more industrial than beautiful (which is fine with me). That's not to say it isn't good looking. It's a handsome bit of kit, visually.

I like the nickel (as opposed to chrome).

Question: Can the setting be anywhere? By that I mean on a number, and on a dot between numbers, and between the dots? I think it can, but do you know?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just looking at the razor, and how the blade would be clamped (or not) I wonder about blade chatter. What's your experience?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mine has arrived!

Heavy razor (not too heavy) and substantial feeling. Looks very well made, and more industrial than beautiful (which is fine with me). That's not to say it isn't good looking. It's a handsome bit of kit, visually.

Question: Can the setting be anywhere? By that I mean on a number, and on a dot between numbers, and between the dots? I think it can, but do you know?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mine has arrived!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim,

Yes infinitely adjustable blade gap between the lowest and highest setting unlike fixed adjustable razors (ie Vintage Gillette adjustables). It’s more like a Merkur or Parker Variant.

As far as your other comments regarding blade chatter - hasn’t been a problem for me. Tightened down, it clamps pretty tightly. Load a blade and enjoy. [emoji1360]

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used this razor for a month in March. The blade is clamped down very rigid. I could do easy east to west and west to east ear to ear ATG passes with this hammer of a razor along the area under my jaw line. This is something I can do only with gentle razors like the Mamba 53 or ATT M2 classic razor or the Karve C plate.

I would say you'll experience this as you use gentle this beast.

Take your favorite blade, lock and roll!

mine showed up today..run it in the morning!
Didn't get to it till about a half hour ago . First. Im 7 weeks in this is my 4th razor in that time period .So I had a bunch of firsts today . First time using Sebum gold LIME soap ,First time using this razor (Setting 4) ,first time using A crystal blade and first time using some techniques I finally sat down and watched some YouTube videos on. The planets aligned ! Im BBS for the first time.!

Didn't get to it till about a half hour ago . First. Im 7 weeks in this is my 4th razor in that time period .So I had a bunch of firsts today . First time using Sebum gold LIME soap ,First time using this razor (Setting 4) ,first time using A crystal blade and first time using some techniques I finally sat down and watched some YouTube videos on. The planets aligned ! Im BBS for the first time.!
Agreed! This and the Rex consistently produce extraordinary shaves for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pearl V4-%22The Tank%22.jpg

First shave with the Pearl V4.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SATURDAY ‌05/08/21 SOTD
PRE: bloom water
RAZOR: Pearl Flexi Adjustable Safety Razor V4
BLADE: Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
BRUSH: Heritage Ever-Ready 26mm SHD Gel
SOAP: Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli

proxy.php

I’m packing to move, so 95% of my shave den is packed. The Rex Ambassador is my usual daily driver while I bought the Flexi as a travel razor. Well I’ve been using the Flexi exclusively for almost a month (since everything else is packed) and it’s given me flawless shaves! And SMOOOOOOTH! Literally any blade seems to work well (varying the settings depending on blade sharp-smooth ratio). Again, had this been the first razor I ever bought, I might have stopped there!

I’m packing to move, so 95% of my shave den is packed. The Rex Ambassador is my usual daily driver while I bought the Flexi as a travel razor. Well I’ve been using the Flexi exclusively for almost a month (since everything else is packed) and it’s given me flawless shaves! And SMOOOOOOTH! Literally any blade seems to work well (varying the settings depending on blade sharp-smooth ratio). Again, had this been the first razor I ever bought, I might have stopped there!
That is high praise for the flexi and indeed well deserved.

How do you compare the shave to the Rex Ambassador. Apparently starting with V2 they changed they geometry to have less blade feel.

Sent from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

That is high praise for the flexi and indeed well deserved.

How do you compare the shave to the Rex Ambassador. Apparently starting with V2 they changed they geometry to have less blade feel.

Sent from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk
The Flexi shaves smoother but about one number on the dial less efficient than the Rex, at least to me. I like the knurling and balance of the Rex better, but I get every bit as good a shave from the Flexi. I just dial it up to 5-6.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SUNDAY ‌05/09/21 SOTD
PRE: bloom water
RAZOR: Pearl Flexi Adjustable Safety Razor V4
BLADE: Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
BRUSH: Yaqi Barber Pole 2-Band Badger
SOAP: Barrister and Mann Oceana Soft Heart

proxy.php

first shave:
Pearl Flex 1
Voskhod Teflon
CBL Barberhop Soap
Yaqi Twilight Synthetic
Harry's Post Shave Balm
Don Marco Aftershave

I like fairly aggressive razors but not crazy blade feel like a shavette. Set slightly beyond #6 the ATG shave was extremely smooth with slight blade feel. The grip is outstanding considering the handle is short and fat but I was in total control the entire shave. I did two passes as WTG and ATG with no issues. The build quality is great and the dial that adjusts the settings is smooth and stays exactly where you put it. The blade has zero shatter and is locked in the head very tightly. Overall this was a BBS shave in two passes. How long the shave lasts I don't know yet. I can tell you for $80 which includes the stand and cloth in a very nice box this is the bargain of the year. The razor is CNC machined out of brass. I am not sure if the finish is chrome,nickel or aluminum but its a statin finish that is beautiful. The razor is two piece and works similar to the Ambassador razor. At 4.9 oz its a tank but as I was shaving I didn't notice.
Pearl Flex 1.JPG

first shave:
Pearl Flex 1
Voskhod Teflon
CBL Barberhop Soap
Yaqi Twilight Synthetic
Harry's Post Shave Balm
Don Marco Aftershave

I like fairly aggressive razors but not crazy blade feel like a shavette. Set slightly beyond #6 the ATG shave was extremely smooth with slight blade feel. The grip is outstanding considering the handle is short and fat but I was in total control the entire shave. I did two passes as WTG and ATG with no issues. The build quality is great and the dial that adjusts the settings is smooth and stays exactly where you put it. The blade has zero shatter and is locked in the head very tightly. Overall this was a BBS shave in two passes. How long the shave lasts I don't know yet. I can tell you for $80 which includes the stand and cloth in a very nice box this is the bargain of the year. The razor is CNC machined out of brass. I am not sure if the finish is chrome,nickel or aluminum but its a statin finish that is beautiful. The razor is two piece and works similar to the Ambassador razor. At 4.9 oz its a tank but as I was shaving I didn't notice.
View attachment 1263988
My experience with the Flexi mirrors your own. It’s REALLY hard to beat for the money! I also find it pairs well with a voskhod blade at higher settings. Enjoy!

Oh a voskhod is also on my must try list
So far i tested the following blade,already sorted for my liking (first best)

ASP
Tatra Platinum
Willy's Premium
Gillette Platinum
Treet Platinum
Dorco Titan

But even the dorco didn't fail at all. But the other blades perform better
Usually i shave first passes at 3,last pass at 2,0-2,5

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

OK folks, I will say up front:

The following post truly gives me no pleasure because I was really looking forward to getting the Pearl Flexi, however I believe in saying the unvarnished truth, for better or worse, so have a look at this picture of the Flexi that just arrived. This photo was taken with the the top cap screwed down. Or at least what is supposed to be screwed down. Note how the left side is clamped down, but the right side…….. The daylight! It burns my eyes!:117:
E810C9C3-CF78-48BF-963C-89B2312DB11E.jpeg

Needless to say, it goes straight back to Maggards ASAP.

I had high hopes, but given the price and their previous quality control issues, I can’t say I’m totally blindsided by this. There’s a reason the Rocnel, Rex, Taiga, and Tatara adjustables cost much more than the Flexi. Buyer beware.

OK folks, I will say up front:

The following post truly gives me no pleasure because I was really looking forward to getting the Pearl Flexi, however I believe in saying the unvarnished truth, for better or worse, so have a look at this picture of the Flexi that just arrived. This photo was taken with the the top cap screwed down. Or at least what is supposed to be screwed down. Note how the left side is clamped down, but the right side…….. The daylight! It burns my eyes!:117:
View attachment 1264141

Needless to say, it goes straight back to Maggards ASAP.

I had high hopes, but given the price and their previous quality control issues, I can’t say I’m totally blindsided by this. There’s a reason the Rocnel, Rex, Taiga, and Tatara adjustables cost much more than the Flexi. Buyer beware.
Now I need to check mine when I go back home!

Top Bottom