What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

I have both, and am doing a comparison.
I’m interested in hearing more, since the Homelike Taiga still isn’t back in stock...

Always wanted to get a Rex: anyone have the newer version and could go head to head with the Pearl? I want to buy whichever is milder.

Also, if you have a Gibbs (I do) wouldn’t mind hearing a head to head of that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have both, and am doing a comparison. It will be later in the week, before I'm decided on the comparability of the shaves.

Spoiler:
  1. The Flexi (current run) is a $100 razor, with ~$20-30USD of extras, free. It's overly heavy, but with good machining. The only area of concern in construction is the threaded joint where the topcap is connected to the brass/bronze shaft. It would take a hard hit to damage the connection, and the hole in the handle (currently) leaves minimal play. It does hit a bit above its design class, so at $100 its a steal. $130, an excellent buy. At $150, honestly, I'd save for the Rex.
  2. The Rex is a $200-250 razor, and well worth it. Markedly lighter, with superlative machining. Solid stainless construction. I'm always ambivalent about RE, but the P (2020) and later razors should have no issues, unless the machine shop falls apart. The shave for me, using sharp blades, is excellent. If it feels draggy, try Nacet, Feather, etc, and start with a lower setting. It's dead center for viability in its class- as a middle-class guy, I might go for it at $300, but that's iffy. At $225, I'm telling people BUY IT! At $250, I'm saying you won't be unhappy.

Last night I finally received my invoice from Pearl Shaving for the Pearl Flexi V2 so I could pay via PayPal as they do not accept credit cards from US....at least mine, LOL. $97 to my door. I'm excited to give it a try.

I just checked online and it now says they are sold out for "second phase" but you can sign up for "third phase". Glad I got my order in when I did. :)

Someone comented on Youtube that two of his friends got their second batch Flexi razors and both have misalignments and adjustment issues. I don't know what to think anymore :(.

Someone comented on Youtube that two of his friends got their second batch Flexi razors and both have misalignments and adjustment issues. I don't know what to think anymore :(.
Mh, I got the replacement Flexi from the second batch and have no misalignments or anything to complain about. It just gave me with two passes a nearly BBS-shave without any nicks. For me and my sensitive skin seems that to be the RAD-healing razor. I also 'repaired' (put in a much stronger spring, 10 mm stainless steel, no more bad-gap-issue) into the razor from the first batch, as was suggested by somebody (don't know wether here or in another forum) and gave it to my son. he is really impressed from the shave with the first batch razor. ('best I ever had').

Mh, I got the replacement Flexi from the second batch and have no misalignments or anything to complain about. It just gave me with two passes a nearly BBS-shave without any nicks. For me and my sensitive skin seems that to be the RAD-healing razor. I also 'repaired' (put in a much stronger spring, 10 mm stainless steel, no more bad-gap-issue) into the razor from the first batch, as was suggested by somebody (don't know wether here or in another forum) and gave it to my son. he is really impressed from the shave with the first batch razor. ('best I ever had').

Maybe that guy hates the company and tries to spread some misinformation. So far he's the only one claims that there are problems with the V2.

Maybe that guy hates the company and tries to spread some misinformation. So far he's the only one claims that there are problems with the V2.
That's odd. The V2 is suppose to be the reworked and improved version. Whatever that guy is saying doesn't make sense. Anyway, mine is scheduled to come in mid-week, so I will give quick impressions.

That might have been me. Some space in the shaft really means nothing with a good spring, all it is supposed to do is go up and down. I had a couple of adjustables with a little play like this, not a big deal unless you make it out to be. I’ve been watching online for anyone dumping V1s to stick another spring in there as well.

I’m really interested in these razors but have to figure out how to get one without the War Department finding out, ha ha.

Last edited:

Although I think there has been a little overreaction with these gaps and springs, I don’t think Kevy hates Pearl at all. Been watching him for some years and he appears to be straight forward. If I knew him personally, I’d tell him to press both sides of the baseplate straight up on the highest setting and let it drop to reset the gap. These are new also so there is some break in. I had small gap misalignments with my Rex, Variant and VB when I first got them and there was zero issue after a few shaves. When I got my second, short handle VB, I worked the spring/baseplate up and down for a few minutes before using it to break it in. On another thread, a member dug out his Rex he had in his drawer, followed my advice and it worked for him also.

Although I think there has been a little overreaction with these gaps and springs, I don’t think Kevy hates Pearl at all. Been watching him for some years and he appears to be straight forward. If I knew him personally, I’d tell him to press both sides of the baseplate straight up on the highest setting and let it drop to reset the gap. These are new also so there is some break in. I had small gap misalignments with my Rex, Variant and VB when I first got them and there was zero issue after a few shaves. When I got my second, short handle VB, I worked the spring/baseplate up and down for a few minutes before using it to break it in. On another thread, a member dug out his Rex he had in his drawer, followed my advice and it worked for him also.

i wasn't talking about Kevy and I didn't even know that he had a video until tndude gave us a link here. Kensurfs made a video yesterday and he said that his Flexi V2 is on the way and I saw a few comments about the Flexi razor and some guy said that two of his friends just got their V2 Flexi razors and both have misalignment issues. Asside from Kevy, random people can say whatever they want and i've seen some people that hate the razor, just because it's a copy of the Rex and they are against copycats. I'm not a judge so that doesn't bother me one bit and if I have to spend $250 + shipping to Europe for a safety razor (DE, SE whatever), that razor must be really amazing or magical lol.

Anyone watch the RE video comparing the Rex to the Flexi? I found it interesting and for the most part fair. At the end of the day, both are clones of another classic razor. I wonder how much R&D was put into the original Gibbs?

i wasn't talking about Kevy and I didn't even know that he had a video until tndude gave us a link here. Kensurfs made a video yesterday and he said that his Flexi V2 is on the way and I saw a few comments about the Flexi razor and some guy said that two of his friends just got their V2 Flexi razors and both have misalignment issues. Asside from Kevy, random people can say whatever they want and i've seen some people that hate the razor, just because it's a copy of the Rex and they are against copycats. I'm not a judge so that doesn't bother me one bit and if I have to spend $250 + shipping to Europe for a safety razor (DE, SE whatever), that razor must be really amazing or magical lol.

Sorry, thought you were referring to Kevy.

I have seen some hate too from Rex owners. I own a Rex, but no hate here. After discovering the Gibbs after owning my Rex, I’ve been on the lookout for new versions of the Gibbs. For people that love their Rex, that is great, I just didn’t have the same experience. Good razor, but not my best by a long shot. To be fair, my Rex experience has also been affected by shaving with the original Gibbs.

What appears to be the best modern version of the Gibbs now is the TAIGA. Some hate came from Rex owners when the TAIGA came out but people quickly realized it was different from the Rex but also very faithful to the Gibbs.

My only disappointment so far with the idea of the Flexi is how close it comes to the Rex, which I think is a lost opportunity. Using all brass, I would have loved to have seen a straight up Gibbs copy with blade posts for regular blades. Heritage Collection came close before being railroaded at the end with that whole Yaqi debacle. With respect to those who picked up the Yaqi, a Gibbs with an adjustable DE89 clone head just doesn’t interest me. Also a shame the Valiant didn’t take off, that would have been a great one.

Last edited:
Anyone watch the RE video comparing the Rex to the Flexi? I found it interesting and for the most part fair. At the end of the day, both are clones of another classic razor. I wonder how much R&D was put into the original Gibbs?

The Gibbs aesthetics resemble another French, slightly older design that had a completely different adjustment. I wouldn’t be surprised if the designers of that razor also developed the Gibbs but went with a much simpler adjustment. Similar barrel and adjustment ring look. If you squint your eyes, they are very similar but function in a completely different way. The other razor is the L’Essor Le Supreme

Last edited:
Received my replacement Flexi over the weekend and have had 2 very nice shaves with it. I haven't noticed any problems with it and it's working just fine for me. I'm happy and so is my face, I've gotten great shaves with it.

As for those pointing out problems, there will always be someone who will find a problem regardless of the product's construction and/or reputation. I would say that we all should make up our own minds.

I don't think it is necessary to know Kevy Shaves personally in order to make this suggestion. After all, he has made himself into a public figure. You could post a comment on his video making the suggestion, or you could contact him back-channel. I think you should do this. If it works, he could post another video showing how to do it, and explaining how the spring sometimes needs a little working in. This would be a service to the community, as the word would get out more from a Kevy video than from your excellent comment here on B&B.

That might have been me. Some space in the shaft really means nothing with a good spring, all it is supposed to do is go up and down. I had a couple of adjustables with a little play like this, not a big deal unless you make it out to be. I’ve been watching online for anyone dumping V1s to stick another spring in there as well.
Yes, and I'm really thankful for that hint. I used a 1.2 mm SS spring, had to polish a little bit on the inner side on one end with the Dremel, and now it fits perfectly.

Sounds good. If I have anything with a skewed gap, I will employ this "spring-pump" method. Thank you.

Top Bottom