What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

I had a shave with a new Gillette Wilkinson sword Indian blade in it.

The shave was nothing short of spectacular. Had a three pass bbs shave with great skin feel afterwards

Took the razor from 2 to 3 to 4 and in between and it has absolutely zero issues of uneven blade gap. the head geometry makes the razor very intuitive to use and is not aggressive with excessive blade exposure. It can be a daily shaver on 2 or less and I could take it up to a 4 and it didn't feel aggressive at all but efficient. Most aggressive razors have this feel of bite when used, not this Pearl flexi v2.

The spring and adjustable knob feel smooth to move and hold the place where you Leave it..the loose spring in V1 made the adjustable know feel a bit tacky even if it doesn't move during a shave.

This razor is very smooth and efficient and I find the satin plating on this new version a bit shiny and smooth on the skin. There is no drag felt.

This is one block buster adjustable razor for the wetshaving world for sure !!

Gents, For $75 and some for shipping its one hell of a deal. Comes with a free stand, ability to put your name on the top cap as personalization. Good news all over!

Not to sound like a broken record but the biggest thing I noticed in your pictures was the cap. Although CNC and different underneath, it appears to have the same curve and height up top as my Gibbs caps. Smooth up and down the dial from your review is what a lot of people have been waiting to hear about with this one. My Rex is a huge nod to the Gibbs design but in my experience, it is not smooth at all past the second setting. I always thought that the cap design and drag from the brushed finish contribute to that.

Not to sound like a broken record but the biggest thing I noticed in your pictures was the cap. Although CNC and different underneath, it appears to have the same curve and height up top as my Gibbs caps. Smooth up and down the dial from your review is what a lot of people have been waiting to hear about with this one. My Rex is a huge nod to the Gibbs design but in my experience, it is not smooth at all past the second setting. I always thought that the cap design and drag from the brushed finish contribute to that.
Not to radically derail this thread, but I found using a sharp blade cured the drag on my Rex (started with Voskhod, now using Nacet, soon to try a Feather). I polished my top cap down to 1500 grit, more for yuks-n-grins, but it is smoother...

I am in India. So ....
:001_rolle

Its more than 8 hours since my shave and feels soft and bbs with zero irritation. The morning shave had no feedback with the alum block. I get such great post shave skin softness from my Gem style razors, game changers, Timeless and the PAA ss Ascension doc and my all time favorite- Gillette old type ot pre war tech !
You're lucky, the delivery must have been quite fast. Very anxious to try this razor!

The manager reached out to me after he noticed my order not going through.

He sent a request payment to my PayPal and I was able to pay for it. Now that is customer service.

I don't know how long it would take the razor kit to arrive, but I am so excited.
Good to know. I had the same problem today. Hopefully they reach out to me too.

The Rex ambasssdor has an aggresive blade exposure and I couldn't go beyond a 3 at all coupled with the fact that blade on one side was uneven making it more harsh and the other side mild.

The Pearl flexi V2 I was able to go up to a 4 and I am sure if I needed more blade feel perhaps higher too.

The Gillette Indian Wilkinson sword blade is a good middle of the line blade not the sharpest hence I used it to mellow down the aggressive feel if any.

I used setting 4 for the third pass and even now the next day I still feel very little stubble. I get such a shave from the IKON tech, blackland Dart or the R41 but those shaves leave me with irritation.

I'll try to shave exclusively on 4 and beyond today and compare the smoothness!

The Rex ambasssdor has an aggresive blade exposure and I couldn't go beyond a 3 at all coupled with the fact that blade on one side was uneven making it more harsh and the other side mild.
I would say new buyers have to worry far less about those issues now. "P" series Rex is superlative, and I've run it from 1-6 with both Vokshod and Nacet blades.

Pearl had similar issues with their initial run, which is why I waited. They look extremely similar, to the degree where I wonder if someone's CAD got pilfered; however, Gibbs had a strong presence in India, and there are only so many ways to skin the same cat. I hope that the Pearl is a fine shaver, and I'm optimistic.

I do wish both companies success, as modern all-metal (not recycled trashcans) adjustables are a huge step forward for us shave aficionados.

I would say new buyers have to worry far less about those issues now. "P" series Rex is superlative, and I've run it from 1-6 with both Vokshod and Nacet blades.

Pearl had similar issues with their initial run, which is why I waited. They look extremely similar, to the degree where I wonder if someone's CAD got pilfered; however, Gibbs had a strong presence in India, and there are only so many ways to skin the same cat. I hope that the Pearl is a fine shaver, and I'm optimistic.

I do wish both companies success, as modern all-metal (not recycled trashcans) adjustables are a huge step forward for us shave aficionados.

Well said!

Ultimately the wet shaver community wins (or looses from their pocketsl) :)

Well, I was prepared to be modestly underwhelmed, but this package is pretty darn impressive:
20210204_164007.jpg

I actually used the Rex last night, so I may not shave until tomorrow evening, for a reasonable comparison.

They may indeed have included "Saloon" blades, but I'll find out later, as I want to try the razor itself with a known quality blade.

Initial inspection shows good and equal blade exposure, everything square. I suspect that the top cap is stainless, based on milling marks on the underside, threaded onto a bronze post, as I see a seam about 4-5 mm on the shaft below the cap.

Adjustment is smooth, with no grating, jumps or pauses, and I expect it to improve with use.

The handle is hefty, and about 3 or 4mm wider in diameter than the Rex.

I do wish the shaft for the topcap was one-piece, but lateral movement, on my specimen at least, is minimal.

The brush is nice, softer than I generally use, but comparable to my last pure badger knots.

The proof is in the use, so we shall see...

Last edited:
Well, I was prepared to be modestly underwhelmed, but this package is pretty darn impressive:
View attachment 1218228

I actually used the Rex last night, so I may not shave until tomorrow evening, for a reasonable comparison.

They may indeed have included "Saloon" blades, but I'll find out later, as I want to try the razor itself with a known quality blade.

Initial inspection shows good and equal blade exposure, everything square. I suspect that the top cap is stainless, based on milling marks on the underside, threaded onto a bronze post, as I see a seam about 4-5 mm on the shaft below the cap.

Adjustment is smooth, with no grating, jumps or pauses, and I expect it to improve with use.

The handle is hefty, and about 3 or 4mm wider in diameter than the Rex.

I do wish the shaft for the topcap was one-piece, but lateral movement, on my specimen at least, is minimal.

The brush is nice, softer than I generally use, but comparable to my last pure badger knots.

The proof is in the use, so we shall see...

Why go with a proven blade when you can try a Willy on your face?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

In all seriousness, I’ve heard rumors the Willy is actually a Wilkinson Sword intended for the Indian market. Just rumor for now but that would be nice if true. If not, I’m sure the Willy alone would be a wonderful experience on your face although I’m mainly a Lab Blue and KCG guy so I’m not up for that.

Last edited:
Well, you get like 200 Willy's to try, so hey... :c1:

I had this new razor...loaded with a fresh Nacet...I could feel stubble...just couldn't fight the urge.

I'll take a few days before coming to a final judgement, but set on 4, where I had the Rex last night, it feels reeeeaaallly close.

Short version: with just the Flexi & the brush, you get your money's worth. I've never used a synthetic brush, so FWIW, it was soft like badger, didn't want to fluff out like new boar, but it works, developed good lather & was comfortable. I'm cheap on soaps, pretty strictly Vanderhagen, but its consistent for me. It looks like the knot is going to loosen up over a few uses.

The Flexi is well put together. I did not experience anything rough or out of place. Comfortable, CLOSE shave, no nicks or weepers after 3 passes. The knurling is nice and gives a decent grip.

My only complaint- damn, this thing is heavy! By comparison, the Rex feels almost like an aluminum handled Tech. The only razors I have/have used that are close in weight are the solid stainless Rockwell SE-1s. With this weight, the knurling could be sharper or deeper, but the matte finish is slightly tacky when wet, so I did not experience slipping or unintended movement.

And, you get a nice stand, with a silicone rubber base.

I'm very pleased with my purchase so far. If the blades are good, that's a huge bonus, and two soap samplers to boot!

I think anything else I have will be noting differences between the Flexi and the Rex.

Although heavier, I’m encouraged by the back to brass I’ve seen lately in razor manufacturing. All have their advantages and disadvantages but costs stay down with brass, it is a proven survivor as my 1904 Gillette will attest and the material has much less manufacturing equipment hiccups with regard to wear. Brass also has many finish options.

I like stainless just fine and have my share of them, but it seems that only RR has kept costs down with CNC thus far. I love my Mark II razor a lot and although it stainless, it is injection molded.

Gillette used several different alloys in their DE heyday, they even incorporated nylon baseplates for the later Super Adjustables, but brass was always king in their lines. If and when Gillette releases something in house other than rebranded Mühles, you can bet good money it will be brass if they listen up and and abandon zamack temptations. They aren’t going to bother with stainless.

Well, you get like 200 Willy's to try, so hey... :c1:

I had this new razor...loaded with a fresh Nacet...I could feel stubble...just couldn't fight the urge.

I'll take a few days before coming to a final judgement, but set on 4, where I had the Rex last night, it feels reeeeaaallly close.

Short version: with just the Flexi & the brush, you get your money's worth. I've never used a synthetic brush, so FWIW, it was soft like badger, didn't want to fluff out like new boar, but it works, developed good lather & was comfortable. I'm cheap on soaps, pretty strictly Vanderhagen, but its consistent for me. It looks like the knot is going to loosen up over a few uses.

The Flexi is well put together. I did not experience anything rough or out of place. Comfortable, CLOSE shave, no nicks or weepers after 3 passes. The knurling is nice and gives a decent grip.

My only complaint- damn, this thing is heavy! By comparison, the Rex feels almost like an aluminum handled Tech. The only razors I have/have used that are close in weight are the solid stainless Rockwell SE-1s. With this weight, the knurling could be sharper or deeper, but the matte finish is slightly tacky when wet, so I did not experience slipping or unintended movement.

And, you get a nice stand, with a silicone rubber base.

I'm very pleased with my purchase so far. If the blades are good, that's a huge bonus, and two soap samplers to boot!

I think anything else I have will be noting differences between the Flexi and the Rex.
This kit seems value packed. Didn't know they also included a brush and soap samples..nice.

I forgot the brush. Its a nice shiny handle with "gold" leaves in the bottom resin part.

I like the Razorock BC brush quite a lot..compared to it the knot is a bit thinner more like a 22mm and the loft being higher would mean slightly floppy. Yet to use it
20210205_112737.jpg
20210205_112809.jpg
20210205_113140.jpg
20210205_113200.jpg

Attachments

• 20210205_112809.jpg
    20210205_112809.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
I’m interested in hearing more, since the Homelike Taiga still isn’t back in stock...

Always wanted to get a Rex: anyone have the newer version and could go head to head with the Pearl? I want to buy whichever is milder.

Also, if you have a Gibbs (I do) wouldn’t mind hearing a head to head of that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m interested in hearing more, since the Homelike Taiga still isn’t back in stock...

Always wanted to get a Rex: anyone have the newer version and could go head to head with the Pearl? I want to buy whichever is milder.

Also, if you have a Gibbs (I do) wouldn’t mind hearing a head to head of that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Rex before getting a Gibbs. I thought the Rex was efficient but a bit harsh after the first couple of settings. It wasn’t one of my top shavers. I stumbled upon my first Gibbs by accident and decided to buy at a good price. After using the Gibbs, there just isn’t any comparison. The Gibbs is just as efficient as the Rex but is buttery smooth on all settings. Blade mods are very simple, scissors or hole puncher, takes seconds.

Top Bottom