What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey guys - I am seriously considering getting this Pearl Flexi.

I don't have an adjustable razor. I'm also kind of tired of spending so much money on razors and finding that for whatever reason I'm just not very happy with them.

Most of the razors I have are either a little too aggressive or a little too tame. Thus what I'm thinking an adjustable might help me find the sweet spot.

I have almost all of the ATT razors and my favorite is the SE1. I also have a timeless and numerous others. But I don't have an adjustable.

My favorite and daily driver is the SE1 which is a single edge, artist club razor.

My goal is to find one real good adjustable razor. Do you think it should be this one? For the price, I realize I could buy several. But I'm tired of just buying razors. My RAD is diminishing. I just want a great shave every day.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be most appreciated.

It's a tank but other than that it is a very fine razor. Not beautiful, but it is handsome, and very well made, and quite functional.

Its tank-ness doesn't bother me at all. I don't find the bulk to be any problem.

It's not a Sailor, but it's a nearly top tier adjustable in my view of it. Of course, much depends on your skin and whiskers. I like it a lot.

The Flexi is about impossible to beat without spending multiples of its price tag. Plus, there's a free stand which is a great bonus. Many stands are sold for more than the price of the Flexi.

Here's one of my posts outlining how I use the Flexi, etc.

Gus, whose post is a few posts up, is a very trusted source on adjustables.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well as usual B&B has caused another razor to appear in my place .. the adjustments are confusing to me still, but opened up to what I thought was the max resulted in a very very close shave .. size & heftwise it reminds of my dear Fatboys, based on the inaugural shave it is more aggressive though.

Fab razor. Yes, heavy, but so well made. The low settings actually shave whiskers (as opposed to say a Slim on 1) and the mid settings are comfortable. Want to go for a little more? The high settings shave really close, but not dangerously close. It's my favorite razor.

My two year old Flexi continues to be a great shaver. I recently acquired a second hand Flexi with a serial number in the extremely high 3000’s (version 11 probably) and provide more current observations for your shaving digestion.

Weight: The newer version is 145 grams which is 5 grams more than the old one. (My scale only measures to the nearest 5 grams).

Finish: Much nicer coating with the cap not showing striping or any tiny pimples. There were a few dings evident in the new one … three tiny ones on the edge of the blade bed and two small dimples on the bottom knob; nothing momentous.

Fit: It needs improvement. The new unit suffered from the dreaded canting of the blade. I remedied this through full disassembly and rotating the spring 90 degrees. Although the canting is fixed there is a slight gap difference between the sides of the shaver head. So the gap problems experienced in the earliest versions may have sporadically returned. The adjuster knob is a little tighter but this may be due to the spring Pearl now uses.

Feel: On the first use, the newer razor felt heavier and much more aggressive than version 6. I got curious and measured the weight and it was heavier. At my usual settings and with a trusted blade, I received razor burn on the first shave. I turned down the settings by one digit on the next use and the results were similar to my Ambassador at the same setting numbers. I would say that this Flexi is a wee bit more aggressive than the Ambassador even at setting 1 and significantly more aggressive than the older Flexi. The sweet spot on the new razor seems wider but this could just be my perception.

Overall: The newer version is still a good razor but certainly does not perform like my older one.

Just had my second shave with the Flexi "Bulldog"(squat and heavy). Much better with a Parma-Sharp blade instead of the supplied blades. Not using those again. Going to go up the scale and try 4/5 setting next time. This is my first adjustable and OC in quite a while.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
After going back and forth between the original Flexi and the OC version, I have decided that I will keep the OC. I put the original on the BST. They are both great. I just cant justify keeping both.

Had my third shave with the OC. Dialed it up to 6 and went to work. Aggressive and efficient. No weepers, nicks etc and a very close two pass shave with some buffing.You really do let the weight of this razor do the work.
I did notice that was more sting when using the alum bar which I attribute to the closeness of the shave. All in all, quite pleased and the price is great.

Top Bottom