What's new

Pearl Flexi Open Comb release

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My Review: First Flexi OC Shave

Got home late last night and opened up the Flexi OC. Mine came with five 11-packs of the sample blades. Strange inclusion. And stranger that some get it and some dont. I will keep one tuck, and try one of these blades some day. Probably give away the rest with razors I will sell or PIF down the road.

I have mixed feelings about the grip pattern on the handle. Dry, it felt unfinished and rough. Wet it felt great and I got excellent grip on the razor. So no worries. Its fine in my book.

My razor has not fallen apart yet. I took the top cap off, and tried to wiggle it apart and it feels solid thus far. I will keep an eye on this going forward.

Next I installed a fresh Astra SP, the blade I normally use with a new razor, and went for it.

Started on 4. Gave it a half stroke on my upper cheek. Nope! Turned it up to 5. Half stroke. Nope! Cranked it to #6 (max) and did not look back. The shave was smooth a silk on #6. Steep angle. Nice slow and mindful strokes at first until i got it dialed in about half way through the first pass. Then it was off to the races. 3 standard passes. Even gave it a little buffing and touchups after pass 3. Everything on setting #6. I guess that is where it is staying.

Setting #6 on the OC feels to me like it would be setting #8 on the SB. Which is what I wanted! So we are good. I like it. A few more shaves, with a few more blades, and we will know for sure.

So far this thing blows away the Pearl Hammer. The Hammer is a great razor, but the Flexi series have a much higher level of refinement in the face feel. The Flexis are smoother, and provide better and more effective overall shave results.

So there you have it. A shave review on setting #6. Spectacular. If you cant afford a Wolfman, this thing might shave almost as well for a fraction of the cost! At least on 6! :)

20230520_081559.jpg

I also received five tucks of eleven. Never tried Willy's blades but I like the package. When I finish my current Perma-Sharp I will try a Willy's. I also want to try another Astra SP. That is my goto blade. My first Flexi OC shave was with an Asta SP and felt a bit rough. I am wondering if it was just a fluke due to my loose handle. My second shave was just fine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Review: First Flexi OC Shave

Got home late last night and opened up the Flexi OC. Mine came with five 11-packs of the sample blades.

I didn't count the packs of blades but I had at least five packs, maybe more.

My razor was ordered from Amazon and came from Pearl USA.

I have mixed feelings about the grip pattern on the handle.

I like the handle and can't say I have mixed feelings about it, but I get what you're saying.

Dry, the handle felt unfinished and rough. Wet it felt great and I got excellent grip on the razor. So no worries. Its fine in my book.

Exactly my impression, too. My wife examined the handle for a few seconds. She said it was too rough to use. I thought she might be right, but the handle disappeared in use. In use it had had excellent grip and wasn't rough at all. It's the grippiest handle I've ever used I think.

I may try the razor on the high setting for an entire shave.

So far...meaning two shaves both with a Feather blade...I wouldn't call it smooth. However, that could be my technique, the blade, or the fact that I'm climbing the learning curve.

Happy shaves,

Jim

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Exactly my impression, too. My wife examined the handle for a few seconds. She said it was too rough to use. I thought she might be right, but the handle disappeared in use. In use it had had excellent grip and wasn't rough at all. It's the grippiest handle I've ever used I think.

I may try the razor on the high setting for an entire shave.

So far...meaning two shaves both with a Feather blade...I wouldn't call it smooth. However, that could be my technique, the blade, or the fact that I'm climbing the learning curve.

That’s a perfect way to put that. The handle does disappear in use.

It seems like you have been around here forever, so I’m sure you will get up the learning curve for this razor. But it’s not for everyone. No razor is. I suspect that a Feather may not be the best blade for this one.

Enjoy!

I like the Flexi SB much more than the OC. The open comb is too rough for me and more than I need apparently. I have quite a few adjustables including the original Flexi and for me they all shave as closely with less aggression and much more comfort. I agree the handle is better on the open comb. I was on the fence until I bought the Mergress XL which easily became my favorite modern adjustable so far. I prefer the lesser blade feel and smooth comfortable shave from it. I like some blade feel but I just don't enjoy the new Flexi open comb. I'm glad for you that do like it. Its all subjective. Ymmv.

After 4 shaves with the Wilys blade which felt rough, I changed the blade to a Gillette winner blade.

I.used a local Indian shave soap - Hajamat Shea butter & coconut oil "smoky leather"

It was a late evening shave, so took a face steam and applied some pearl pre shave oil to doubly precondition the stubble.

The urban mooch is a slick soap and has an oily aroma to it. It produces very thick cushiony lather.

I tweaked the razor to its max 6 setting and had a go at 36 hours of stubble.

The shave felt extremely smooth, stark contrast with the Willys blade. 3 pass shave on settings 6-3-2

I have to reset my views of the razor fwith the Willys blade. I will need more shaves with the Winner blade and see how it goes. Alum gave zero irritation.

20230522_001817.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Pearl Flexi OC with a Willy's blade.

5-24-23.Flexi.OC.Miike's.RedZenBoar.640.JPG

Notes for today's shave are here.

The manufacturer sent me five large tucks of Willy's blades. I tried one today. Nice blade on its first shave. Will it be better on the second shave?

This was a very close shave. Better than the razor's shaves with a Feather. Smooth enough feeling, but not gloriously smooth.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Third Shave on the Winner blade.

The blade and razor combination is truly a winner for me. The Hajamat shave soap produces extremely dense lather and is a pleasure to shave with. A few swirls on the puck with a pro series Omega brush produced enough lather for 4 passes.

Once I was done clicking the SOTD image, I took some time to observe the "flower" design on the handle at close hand. Usually 2-axis or 3-axis CNC machining is cheaper to have the milling done in as much straight line as possible to make simple geometries, including the one copied on the Pearl Hammer handle. The flower design on this razor with 6 trapazoid "petals" make it rather interesting. While I am not a machinist, whatever google university knowledge I have accumulated, tells me that this machining would have been an effort. Unlike a combination of vertical, horizontal and cross lines which can give simple designs - the design on this handle is pretty artsy along with being utlilitarian. I am not sure if I have seen such a complex pattern on any other razor handle modern or vintage.

Loving the razor so far with around 8 shaves in my book.

In my initial post I noted that my razor came with no blades. I playfully complained to Dhara Bhatt over at Pearl Shaving. I was pleasently surprised to find the owner of Pearl pinging me on whatsapp and profusely apolozing for the lapse and offered to send me the free blades along with a complimentary extra pack or two, or a discount refund for the value of blades to make up - choice was mine.

I replied back that he could keep those blades and perhaps take my recommendation to make an OC and CC adjustable slant razor next to compliment the CC and OC offerings. I sure hopes that he makes up for those missed blades by accepting my suggestion.

20230524_203117.jpg

Shave number 6 today. My shaves with the Flexi OC are starting to be more consistent. For me at least, the learning curve on the Flexi OC is a little steeper. The last 5 shaves have been with a Perma-Sharp. I am able to achieve a solid DFS without blood but I am doing more buffing than I normally would. Tomorrow is the last shave with the Perma-Sharp. I think I will try one of the Willy's blades next. They were kind enough to send me a year's supply with the OC so I feel obliged to give them a try. Besides, I have read numerous reviews of the Willy's, mostly good. I am enjoying the Flexi OC. Thanks to @luv2shave for the original post letting us know about this unique razor.

Round 3, with a Willy's blade, again...

Round 2 with the Winner blade was so smooth, that I decided to revisit the Willy's blade.

The Hajamat shave Soap gave spectacular dense lather as usual with the Omega Professional brush.

For pass 1, I kept the setting at 4, to be cautious after my first shave experience. A few strokes later I opened it all the way to 6.

Pass 1 was nice on setting 6. The blade and razor combo felt very smooth. Second pass at setting 3 and then 2 for ATG. The razor can be moved around freely on setting 6 without the need to be careful or the feeling that it is just about to bite. No nicks, cuts or any mishaps so far. Plus extremely efficent 20 hour shave, which is extraordinary for my shaves.

Loving this setup of the soap, and razor. for the superlative shaves I am getting. Very impressed with both. I got a 4 pack of the soap to try out.

Edit : Hajamat is a Persian origin word, translates to Shave. Its singularly adopted and used across India, since the days of it being called Hindustan by then invading Islamic / Persian armies !

20230525_173409.jpg

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I used the Flexi OC for Towel Day. I did something very unlike me…. I dialed it down to 2! I know! The horror! But I shaved yesterday with a ultra efficient razor, and needed to properly celebrate Towel Day to its fullest. So I figured this was a great opportunity to try a low setting on the OC. And surprise, surprise! It was a little obnoxious on setting 2! I think the OC is smoother on setting 6. But it did a surprisingly great job. I thought it would feel like shaving without a blade, and achieve likewise results. But no, there was a good shave result. Astra SP blade with a few prior shaves. I didn’t count. Nice shave today.

75654477-2D2C-41B4-B058-855FAE07AEA4.jpeg

I used the Flexi OC for Towel Day. I did something very unlike me…. I dialed it down to 2! I know! The horror! But I shaved yesterday with a ultra efficient razor, and needed to properly celebrate Towel Day to its fullest. So I figured this was a great opportunity to try a low setting on the OC. And surprise, surprise! It was a little obnoxious on setting 2! I think the OC is smoother on setting 6. But it did a surprisingly great job. I thought it would feel like shaving without a blade, and achieve likewise results. But no, there was a good shave result. Astra SP blade with a few prior shaves. I didn’t count. Nice shave today.

View attachment 1659970

Great shave. I've found the razor pretty efficient on 2 as well as 1, but it does feel odd to feel so much blade feel on a supposedly milder setting.

We have a towel day too ? Where's it hosted at ? Resistance might be useless if you tell me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've yet to try the OC on the fully closed setting (below 1) for the first pass. I've used that setting only on my last pass which is S-N ATG on my upper lip, and buffing on my soul patch and chin.

It shaves me pretty well on setting #1 though. It's also pretty smooth feeling on setting #6.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yesterday the Perma-Sharp on its 6th use started getting rough on the second pass so 5 shaves in the OC is probably the limit. On to today's shave.

Blade: Fresh Willy's
Soap: Arko
Brush: RazoRock Syntetic
A/S: Pinaud Clubman

First pass set at 1.5. Subsequent pass and clean up at 1.
Today was my first time using a Willy's blade so I was not sure what to expect. The reviews I had read were mostly good. I have to say I was impressed. It was very smooth and plenty sharp. No issues and I finished with a solid DFS+. Next shave will likely be Sunday and I think I will move up to 2 on the first pass to see if the Willy's is just as smooth. If the Willy's blade continues to feel this good and will go at least 5 shaves, I can see myself ordering more if I can find them. What I would really like to find is some shave soap, aftershave and perhaps a brush all made in India. I am open to suggestions. Really liking the OC and the shaves continue to be comfortable and more consistent.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If the Willy's blade continues to feel this good and will go at least 5 shaves, I can see myself ordering more if I can find them.

See my next post for a possibility.

What I would really like to find is some shave soap, aftershave and perhaps a brush all made in India. I am open to suggestions. Really liking the OC and the shaves continue to be comfortable and more consistent.

Link to vendor.

1685145119961.png

1685145143839.png

I think there's a version of Old Spice made in India. I think I've tried it, and liked it okay.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom