What's new

Pearl Flexi Maintenance

I bought the Pearl Flexi a couple of months ago and I've noticed a considerable decline in the quality of the shaves it gives.

I have quite sensitive skin, and fairly thick hair. Strangely, the best shaves I get are from a razor most people consider to be too aggressive: the Merkur Futur. I think this is because it cuts through the stubble with very little resistance. I use Astra Platinum and Lord Super Chrome blades, and prefer the second.

Lately it feels as if the Flexi is tugging more on the stubble and dragging across the skin. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I wipe the razor (and blades) clean after every shave, so there's no build-up of soap scum or anything like that, but the Flexi is the only razor I've owned that came with a cloth to wipe it down with. That makes me suspect that it might need extra maintenance to prefer this sort of friction I'm feeling.

Has anyone else had similar experience with the razor? Any insights?

Pearl Flexi has nothing to do with your dragging problem. The only thing that can drag on your skin is the blade unsuitable for your skin and hair type. Try different blades. I suggest you try the following names: Feather, Wilkinson Sword (Germany), Personna Platinum (Germany), Gillette Nacet, Kai, Gillette Silver Blue, and Gillette Super Platinum (India). In my experience, these blades mentioned above are absolute gems. Highest class and best shave quality. Believe me you don't have difficulty finding at least one suitable blade in my list.

Pearl Flexi has nothing to do with your dragging problem. The only thing that can drag on your skin is the blade unsuitable for your skin and hair type. Try different blades. I suggest you try the following names: Feather, Wilkinson Sword (Germany), Personna Platinum (Germany), Gillette Nacet, Kai, Gillette Silver Blue, and Gillette Super Platinum (India). In my experience, these blades mentioned above are absolute gems. Highest class and best shave quality. Believe me you don't have difficulty finding at least one suitable blade in my list.
The blades I'm using now are the same ones I was using when I didn't have the problems.

I've tried Feather blades. It took me days to get the blood out of the grout in the bathroom.

The blades I'm using now are the same ones I was using when I didn't have the problems.

I've tried Feather blades. It took me days to get the blood out of the grout in the bathroom.
There are only three main things that contribute to tugging: wrong/worn blade (replace one), not slick enough lather (add more water/replace soap), and not enough shaving technique (watch more YT videos with experienced shavers and be patient). You need to adjust these three components.
I can't think of what could happen to a razor surface in  typical day-to-day use that will cause hair tugging or skin dragging.
I strongly suggest you check the three things I mentioned above if it wouldn't help. Maybe the Pearl Flexi razor is not for you. For example, 90% of the DE razors I bought didn't work for me. It will help if you experiment with different DE razors. Try various adjustable designs, open combs, CNC, vintage etc.

I'm sorry for your experience with the Flexi. I don't have one so can't really comment. But here I go anyway ;)

My initial reaction would be to suggest it might be technique. At times, I've been 'too comfortable' with a razor and my lack of attention to technique can result in tugging when I lose the right angle. But then, I imagine you're paying a lot of attention to the shave, angle, and technique, so this may not be it at all.

I have heard that some versions of the Flexi had some quality control issues, but I believe those were older versions (they are up to perhaps V6 or V7 now?). I don't want to besmirch any brand, but might be that issue too.

In the end I will just say this is a reason I abandoned adjustable razors. They just tugged more and weren't as smooth as a DE razor with a fixed head. For me at least, with my way of shaving, etc. Once you make a reasonable attempt at the easy solutions on your end (since things were working in the past), it really might be the razor. Hopefully others with Flexi experience will chime in with more accurate help.

If you're getting tugging, how about trying a sharper blade, like a Nacet or Feather?
I too am getting tugging, but I am already using Feather blades. Aren't they the sharpest? Where would one go from there? As for soap, I am alternating between MWF and Proraso red.

As a side note, I often get red bumps, but oddly the bulk of the bumps are higher on my cheek, above the bulk of where my hair grows. Anyone else get this?

Yesterday I got a poor shave from my Flexi (too much remaining stubble). It wasn't the lather, blade, technique, etc. This has happened in the past and I now provide my experience. The Flexi tends to build up soap reside under the base plate and this can be observed by turning the adjustment dial to it's lowest setting - it goes to 1.25 or so instead of 1 due too much buildup. I cut long thin strips of 22lb paper and feed it under the base plate and draw it back and forth while reducing the adjustment dial to its lowest setting. The paper has enough "tooth" to pick up the soap and clean off the surfaces. You may need to do this a few times. When completed, the razor goes to 1. I also give the razor a spray of a product similar to Scrubbing Bubbles. rinse, alcohol spray and it's back to normal performance till next time (more than 1/2 a year later depending on the soaps being used).

Update. I have now found that the probable reason for the decline in performance occurs when going from a lower to a higher setting. The blade plate does not always advance the anticipated amount. If I am shaving at a 3 and wish to go to a 4, I go past the 4 and then back to it. The efficacy of the shaver is now consistent. I have not disassembled it (yet)to give it a deep cleaning and lubrication.

Top Bottom