What's new

Pearl changed their 3-piece open comb razors

Pearl changed their three piece razors. Both the open and the closed combs have new heads. The change happened sometime in late 2020 - early 2021. An Indian member showed a photo of the new design here last summer, if I am not mistaken. As late as early 2022 there were still razors in Europe that were of the old design.

So you can see the picture demonstrating clearly the changes in the open comb head. Left is the old design. Righ is the new. The bottom plate has been made thicker. Still, it is not as thick as on the Parker open comb razors. Te cap also has some significant changes.

Pearl OC old vs new__.jpg

The blade reveal when looking from the top cap has been reduced. Also the blade exposure is a tad less. The gap is a tiny bit less as well. The blade on the new head is more rigid (because of the lesser cap reveal). The increased rigidness on the new head actually feels a bit more biting. But the closeness of shave is less than the old head. I would say closeness is something between the old Pearl and Fatip MKII.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Not a good development if better shave quality is the objective. Guess it is meant to be beginner friendly and safer, at the cost of some efficiency.

I noticed a similar trend there.

"Zomchi" is a Hongkong based group that supposedly produces razors, mostly DE/R89 clone heads, in China. They recently came up with a design that seems partly inspired by the Mühle Companion, but with a very different geometry. It doesn't seem to be like the old DE89 head or the Companion, but a new design taking inspiration from both and ending up on the very mild side.

zomchi.jpg

It's not more effective as claimed, it is extremely safe but angle sensitive to shave at all. The side tabs and handle are quite effective and fancy, though.

It is a bad but common thing when manufacturers change their heads. Mühle's Rocca head went through some changes early on, they were not communicated, the community figured them out and documented them.
Henson changed and improved their head design as well, but the model name Henson AL13 didn't change to AL-13/2, V2 or something like that.
There might be more examples, can't think of others atm.
Parker doesn't seem find it necessary to communicate such changes or reflect them in the model name either.

Ceterum censeo, every razor manufacturer should create a stainless steel version of their classic head designs. No joke, I would like that.
But seems they rather improve and change without telling their customers. Most people might indeed not give a damn about razors, but that doesn't make it better for enthusiasts.

Not a good development if better shave quality is the objective. Guess it is meant to be beginner friendly and safer, at the cost of some efficiency.

I noticed a similar trend there.

"Zomchi" is a Hongkong based group that supposedly produces razors, mostly DE/R89 clone heads, in China. They recently came up with a design that seems partly inspired by the Mühle Companion, but with a very different geometry. It doesn't seem to be like the old DE89 head or the Companion, but a new design taking inspiration from both and ending up on the very mild side.

View attachment 1499385
It's not more effective as claimed, it is extremely safe but angle sensitive to shave at all. The side tabs and handle are quite effective and fancy, though.

It is a bad but common thing when manufacturers change their heads. Mühle's Rocca head went through some changes early on, they were not communicated, the community figured them out and documented them.
Henson changed and improved their head design as well, but the model name Henson AL13 didn't change to AL-13/2, V2 or something like that.
There might be more examples, can't think of others atm.
Parker doesn't seem find it necessary to communicate such changes or reflect them in the model name either.

Ceterum censeo, every razor manufacturer should create a stainless steel version of their classic head designs. No joke, I would like that.
But seems they rather improve and change without telling their customers. Most people might indeed not give a damn about razors, but that doesn't make it better for enthusiasts.
I wonder how you manage to write so many long posts on this forum. :biggrin1:

The newer Pearl OC head is by no means a razor for beginners. It is still very aggressive. Don't know if you have tried the old OC

Zomchi or whatever Chinese brand. My guess is you probably don't know about the Chinese - they shave with super mild razors. People from the West who have lived there have reported that a few times. The Chinese razor models that are aggressive are made primarily for the Western world. Do you think a Chinese guy would buy the aggressive Weishi 3-piece razors?

Every manufacturer should make Stainless steel? Seriously? Stainless Steel mania again? :lol:

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Chinese razor models that are aggressive are made primarily for the Western world. Do you think a Chinese guy would buy the aggressive Weishi 3-piece razors?
I am pretty sure the Zomchis are made exclusively for export to Europe. They nevertheless made them even milder.

The target group is people switching to DE razors. These are usually damn convinced that nothing can be smoother and milder and safer than 5 blades (possibly 7 or more blades?), and that no DE razor can match the close shave of a Gillette Fusion or Mach 3. 🤷‍♂️

The usual arguments are price, sustainability, good for the environment. etc...
While people likely to switch are apparently mostly afraid they will cut themselves, that it is difficult, that they won't get a close shave, etc., etc...

The new Parker still seems to be somewhat difficult. Hopefully also quite effective.
The Zomchi goes for super safe. But also loses efficiency and makes it difficult to get a good result.

If people cut themselves, they might give up.
If they don't get a good shave right away, they might give up, too.

Sometimes I wonder that at least some people still do wetshaving at all.
I find this somewhat frustrating. I usually tell people they can get an even better shave with a DE razor, that the risk of injury becomes very small with only some practice already.

But we live in times where even the balm has to be non-alcoholic, full of anti-inflammatory drugs and whatsoever because people also believe they have sensitive skin. Try finding a person with normal or strong skin, the huge majority believes they are especially sensitive.

Telling them "you can't shave for beans" is not likely to convince them either and rather makes them think DE shaving is extremely difficult, people doing it some old fashioned weirdos.

I already tried to inspire people by example, or by reverse psychology ("well, for me it is easy and natural to get perfect results with a DE, while you probably won't ever get close"), being friendly, making suggestions, handing them a suitable DE razor... the conversion rate is extremely low.

doh.jpg

Did you know that a razor baseplate has two sides? Arguably, yes, but...
This happens a lot, too.

At this point in their wetshaving career most people really don't notice and give a damn about Parker changing their 3 piece open comb razors. But at least they have left cartridges behind. :biggrin1:

I am pretty sure the Zomchis are made exclusively for export to Europe. They nevertheless made them even milder.

The target group is people switching to DE razors. These are usually damn convinced that nothing can be smoother and milder and safer than 5 blades (possibly 7 or more blades?), and that no DE razor can match the close shave of a Gillette Fusion or Mach 3. 🤷‍♂️

The usual arguments are price, sustainability, good for the environment. etc...
While people likely to switch are apparently mostly afraid they will cut themselves, that it is difficult, that they won't get a close shave, etc., etc...

The new Parker still seems to be somewhat difficult. Hopefully also quite effective.
The Zomchi goes for super safe. But also loses efficiency and makes it difficult to get a good result.

If people cut themselves, they might give up.
If they don't get a good shave right away, they might give up, too.

Sometimes I wonder that at least some people still do wetshaving at all.
I find this somewhat frustrating. I usually tell people they can get an even better shave with a DE razor, that the risk of injury becomes very small with only some practice already.

But we live in times where even the balm has to be non-alcoholic, full of anti-inflammatory drugs and whatsoever because people also believe they have sensitive skin. Try finding a person with normal or strong skin, the huge majority believes they are especially sensitive.

Telling them "you can't shave for beans" is not likely to convince them either and rather makes them think DE shaving is extremely difficult, people doing it some old fashioned weirdos.

I already tried to inspire people by example, or by reverse psychology ("well, for me it is easy and natural to get perfect results with a DE, while you probably won't ever get close"), being friendly, making suggestions, handing them a suitable DE razor... the conversion rate is extremely low.

View attachment 1499452
Did you know that a razor baseplate has two sides? Arguably, yes, but...
This happens a lot, too.

At this point in their wetshaving career most people really don't notice and give a damn about Parker changing their 3 piece open comb razors. But at least they have left cartridges behind. :biggrin1:
That thing about DEs matching the closeness of shave of the MACH3. I own a Fusion and I hate it, but I have been using MACH3 since 2003. The quantity of razors I have tried is definitely above 200. I can tell you at least half of the DEs offered today don't give a shave as close as MACH3. That is with the same cream and brush and doing 3 passes (both with DE and MACH3). Yes there are DE razors that give a slightly closer shave than the MACH3 with 3 passes, but they are mostly the ones that scare people.

That thing with the bottom plate assembled upside down is very old. Has been on Ebay for decades. Even now there are a couple of Techs wrongly assembled.

Parker changed their 3 piece open combs? I use their 3 piece closed combs and 2-3 years ago they made them milder (gap reduction).

Last edited:
What is the source of this information. Their official website still sells the old open comb head models. The new model posted by OP is not listed anywhere.

What is the source of this information. Their official website still sells the old open comb head models. The new model posted by OP is not listed anywhere.
Because they didn't update the photos on the site probably. Same like the stores didn't update them.

The old Pearl open comb bottom plate paired with EJ/Mühle closed comb cap is the best combo I have tried, experimenting with different razor parts I have.

I am incredibly insensitive. My skin less so. I know the people you speak of. In another time I would keep them in chains, and have them shaved with worn bronze razors. My name is Famex Khan!😁😄

sorry for bringing back an old topic. I recently purchased a pearl open comb razor on amazon not realizing that they recently changed their open comb and closed comb heads. I noticed pearl's newer open comb heads look a lot like parker's recently updated open comb heads which I have tried and am not crazy for. The pearl and parker open comb heads look IDENTICAL, so I am gonna return the pearl open comb head because I suspect I will not like it. I have used the older open comb heads from pearl before and they were aggressive which I like. The newer parker open comb heads which look identical to the newer pearl open comb heads were not as efficient as the older open comb heads from pearl. I really don't know why pearl or parker changed their razor heads. I think it was a stupid idea. The parker closed comb heads are a winner for me. they are really efficient and I don't know if I notice a difference between the parker closed comb heads today from what they were a few years ago. The open comb heads on pearl and parker now are less efficient than the ones from before. strangely enough, I find parker's closed comb heads more efficient and aggressive than pearl's new hammer and blaze de razors. anyone know the blade gap for the parker CLOSED COMB HEADS of today?

sorry for bringing back an old topic. I recently purchased a pearl open comb razor on amazon not realizing that they recently changed their open comb and closed comb heads. I noticed pearl's newer open comb heads look a lot like parker's recently updated open comb heads which I have tried and am not crazy for. The pearl and parker open comb heads look IDENTICAL, so I am gonna return the pearl open comb head because I suspect I will not like it. I have used the older open comb heads from pearl before and they were aggressive which I like. The newer parker open comb heads which look identical to the newer pearl open comb heads were not as efficient as the older open comb heads from pearl. I really don't know why pearl or parker changed their razor heads. I think it was a stupid idea. The parker closed comb heads are a winner for me. they are really efficient and I don't know if I notice a difference between the parker closed comb heads today from what they were a few years ago. The open comb heads on pearl and parker now are less efficient than the ones from before. strangely enough, I find parker's closed comb heads more efficient and aggressive than pearl's new hammer and blaze de razors. anyone know the blade gap for the parker CLOSED COMB HEADS of today?
No, they don't.
The Parker open comb and the new Pearl open comb are not the same head.
The bottom plate on the Parker is much thicker and the contact surface on the new Pearl comb is more rounded. The new Pearl will give a significantly closer shave than the Parker OC. Can't get BBS with the Parker head, but I can get it with the new Pearl.

Last edited:
No, they don't.
The Parker open comb and the new Pearl open comb are not the same head.
The bottom plate on the Parker is much thicker and the contact surface on the new Pearl comb is more rounded. The new Pearl will give a significantly closer shave than the Parker OC. Can't get BBS with the Parker head, but I can get it with the new Pearl.
I looked at them both yesterday and unless I am blind, they are very much identical. I put both base plates (parker and pearl open comb plates) side by side and the parker was not much thicker than the pearl.

I looked at them both yesterday and unless I am blind, they are very much identical. I put both base plates (parker and pearl open comb plates) side by side and the parker was not much thicker than the pearl.
Just measured with calipers the thickness.
Parker bottom plate - 4.2mm
Pearl new bottom plate - 3.0mm

As I said there is also a slight rounding on the top part of the comb where it contacts the skin on the new Pearl. And the shave with the Pearl is perceptibly closer than with the Parker.
Did you actually shave with the new Pearl?

Just measured with calipers the thickness.
Parker bottom plate - 4.2mm
Pearl new bottom plate - 3.0mm

As I said there is also a slight rounding on the top part of the comb where it contacts the skin on the new Pearl. And the shave with the Pearl is perceptibly closer than with the Parker.
Did you actually shave with the new Pearl?
Do you ride the bar or go shallow ?

Top Bottom