What's new

Peanut Oil in Shaving Soap. Does it Present a Risk of Allergic Reaction?

@Doc Dan recently posted a concern in the MWF "Order of the Fat" brotherhood thread (link at bottom) that the use of peanut oil in Haslingers new non-tallow soap formulation could pose a risk to those allergic to peanuts. Posting in a separate thread as a potential health risk is worthy of more attention.

For reference I've posted the ingredients for the new tallow free formula from the Maggards web site. Lots of conflicting messages on the web. Posted a link to a McGill university article on the topic that notes that those allergic shampoos and cosmetics (like hand cream) could have a skin contact allergic reaction. The National Peanut Board claims that the FDA does not consider well refined peanut oil an allergen. The McGill article does not that more highly refined products are less likely to cause an allergic reaction. Consensus seems to be that those allergic to peanuts should test a product with potential allergens to determine if it causes a reaction.

If anyone has additional information on the topic please chime in for the benefit of B&Bers for whom this may be a concern.

McGill University Article on the topic noting that this could be a risk in shampoo and cosmetics:

Haslinger Schafmilch Shaving Soap, 60g Puck Ingredients from Maggards web site

This is the new tallow free formula.

Ingredients: potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, aqua (water), sodium palm kernelate, glycerine, lac powder, parfum, sheep milk, arachis hypogaea (peanut) oil, lanolin, lecithin, sodium hydroxide, alpha-isomethyl ionone, hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyd, CI 77891

Original Doc Dan Post:

...on mice, in any event :p
This likely comes down to the need to test/trial any soap or cream for this and the many other ingredients that cause reactions fellow B&Bers have posted about. Earlier 2007 (link below) was inconclusive though noted anecdotal evidence of skin reactions.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Very interesting hypothesis.... Peanut allergies are nothing to sneeze at.

Sorry. I'll see myself out.....

On a serious note, allergies tend to get worse with repeated exposure....so truly DISCONTINUE use immediately if you have a reaction! Nothing to mess around with. Anaphylaxis is unpleasant to witness, and worse to have.

@Lane101 Thanks for posting this. You beat me to it.

I've seen people's skin and face swell after using shaving gel with peanut oil in it. I've seen people get sick after eating food cooked in peanut oil. Peanut allergies are worse than most allergies and they are never mild. Some are fatal. Peanut oil isn't all that safe. It is safer than peanuts themselves, but not entirely safe. People need to be aware of what is in their soaps.

Very interesting hypothesis.... Peanut allergies are nothing to sneeze at.

Sorry. I'll see myself out.....

On a serious note, allergies tend to get worse with repeated exposure....so truly DISCONTINUE use immediately if you have a reaction! Nothing to mess around with. Anaphylaxis is unpleasant to witness, and worse to have.
I laughed, but in truth, peanut allergies are not hay fever. They are always serious and can be deadly.

Some might say that it is not an allergen, but knowing how serious peanut allergies always are, who would volunteer to be the test subject?

Once the proteins have been removed, refined peanut oil is safe. A very small percentage of the population might indeed have a dermal reaction to it, but it won't kill anyone.

I'm allergic to tobacco flower oil. It turns my face bright red and itches like crazy. I don't whine about it, I just avoid products that contain it, like Tabac, and move on with my life.

I don't feel that my comfort ought to determine whether a product can be enjoyed by others.

Less than 5% of the population has a dermal reaction to oakmoss, and most of them probably dealt with it by avoiding scented products, which they were likely to do anyway, since that kind of skin reaction tends to be a broad spectrum reaction.

The end result, the cosmetic industry yanks it from products that the people who are allergic to it probably won't use anyways, and the world suffers for it. It's removal gutted fragrance as a whole.

If more people minded their own business and didn't stick their noses in where it's not wanted, the world would be a better place.

I am highly allergic to peanuts.

Peanut oil has no effect on me.
It doesn't on some, but it does on others. I've seen people with red faces and other dermatological issues from contact. I guess that is better than anaphylaxis. It is assumed safe by the FDA but they never mean 100% of the people are okay with it.

Screenshot_2023-05-31-22-52-17-75_12ad2938a66916a2a2444683c545b98d.jpg

Many oils used in cooking and making of cosmetics are either derived from tree nuts and/or seeds. For those with severe allergic reactions to nuts and seeds, exposure to these allergens can have tragic consequences. I had a friend who died because he ate something to which he was allergic and he did not have his epipen available. By the time help arrived, it was too late.

Food allergies can be serious. They are typically triggered by proteins in the offending product. If an oil is obtained by cold pressing, it is possible that it can be contaminated by proteins. However, most oils are highly processed such that the allergens are removed.

Anyone who has a problem with severe allergic reactions can do a patch test on the inside of the arm to see if any reaction occurs. If there is any sign of a rash, irritation or discomfort occurs, then it is best to avoid that product.

Top Bottom