What's new

PdP vs Tabac (reformulated)

A Pre de Provence vs Tabac discussion from 2009:
Odd you should start this thread at this moment, as I have been shaving with PdP exclusively for the past 6 or 7 weeks and today switched to Tabac for a single time (which I have been using for months on end at one point) to try something out.

Personally---that's the rub with these things---the two soaps yield an equally good shave. No irritation, no nicks, BBS, without undue touching up, skin soft and smooth during the cold water rinse, no dryness afterwards. It doesn't get any better than that. Tabac has the edge in a couple of things, though. The lather is more stable in that it evaporates much more slowly, it's a bit slicker, it is more easily generated, and it has a wider range of operating parameters in that more water can be added while retaining a good product to shave with. However, PdP is cheaper per unit weight, and if you care about that sort of thing, completely vegetal in origin. (Which, given its shaving quality, is an impressive achievement in its own right.) The scent might be an issue for some, too, although I like both equally.

To summarise: for me Tabac is an eensy teensy tiny little bit better than PdP (because of lather stability and being more generous with water---mistakes when you're still sleepy are easily made :)...) but I'm sufficiently impressed with PdP to add it to my very small general rotation. And to me that is really saying something. For other people the differences may be more pronounced, causing them to favour one or the other in a more clear fashion. But I can't imagine that would be a difference of day and night, though. 12:00 PM and 12:15 PM is more likely.

One tip which may or may not work for you, but did for me: PdP only started giving me excellent shaves if I left the lather more concentrated and noticably creamy than I use on average. And I should add that my experiences are based with a tin of PdP which does not list shea butter in the ingredient list. (Yes, these exist!) I have one with shea butter on the way right now, though.

Now that Tabac has been reformulated, how does it compare to Pre de Provence? They produced an "equally good shave" except that Tabac was slightly better in lather stability and was "slicker," but has that now disappeared along with the tallow?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to state that I agree with the opinion you quoted. However, PdP 63 is the clear winner for me because if it's lower cost and it's intoxicating smell. Tabac smells nasty. If the reformulation did indeed decrease Tabac's slight performance lead then PdP should win in all aspects.

I have Tabac, but my soap is the old formulation.

That said, I also have PDP 63 and agree that the scent is intoxicating - not that I mind the scent to Tabac at all.

I think both produce stable lather. The difference is PDP, as triple milled soap, needs a higher water to soap ratio. Tabac, on the other hand, makes lather easier.

PdP is a very hard soap, so you need to load for longer than most. Try taking the soap out of the tin and holding it one hand while loading your brush with the other. If you load enough soap and get the water level right when lathering, it will not evaporate or dry out on you. I normally face-lather with it and get great results.

I can't compare the new formula Tabac, unfortunately, since I stockpiled quite a bit of the older stuff. However, I think PdP is an excellent soap with few flaws once dialed-in.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to state that I agree with the opinion you quoted. However, PdP 63 is the clear winner for me because if it's lower cost and it's intoxicating smell. Tabac smells nasty. If the reformulation did indeed decrease Tabac's slight performance lead then PdP should win in all aspects.
I recently received a puck of PDP 63 from a generous PIF on this forum. I've shaved with it once. The lather and post-shave feel was excellent. I'm still on the fence about the scent. I don't dislike it. Just don't know if I love it. It's certainly longer lasting than any of my other soaps/creams. So if you enjoy the scent, know that it'll stay with you throughout the day.

A Pre de Provence vs Tabac discussion from 2009:

Now that Tabac has been reformulated, how does it compare to Pre de Provence? They produced an "equally good shave" except that Tabac was slightly better in lather stability and was "slicker," but has that now disappeared along with the tallow?

It's been ages since I contributed last to this forum, as I moved on to other things. Having just discovered the reformulation of Tabac (while still owning 5 pucks of the original formula) I decided to take a peek. Predictably everyone was in an uproar with the usual ohmytallowshegone! laments. Nothing changed in that regard :biggrin1:.

I've been shaving for years now with Tabac: I know this soap like the back of my hand. Having shaved a few times now with the new Tabac, I can say without any hesitation that the old formulation has the edge... but really only an edge. I find it impressive what M&W have been able to do; usually a reformulation really effs up a soap. Not here. I'll have to play around a bit with the water content of the new Tabac (making the lather a bit wetter), but the lathering was effortless as per usual; and the shave was close and comfortable as per usual.

I say all this to make it clear that as far as I am concerned, my judgement from 2009 still stands, with Tabac and PdP inching closer together. With the added info that I've since discovered that I need to make a rich yet supple lather for the first pass; and a thinner, sloppier for the second. Rich lather for the second pass is a recipe for skin irritation. This applies to both Tabac old, Tabac new, and PdP (which likely has changed its formula over time as well).

I tried new vegan Tabac for the first time and was impressed. Good performance and still has that creamy Tabac consistency. That said, lather stability is not as good as the tallow formula.

PdP did not excite me. The lather seemed thin to me and the scent seemed bland. I have very hard water and wish that I had tried it with softer water.

I am happy that I stocked up on tallow based Tabac and have two large containers of MdC.

I have tried both now, and prefer the Tabac, but perhaps I'm not getting the PdP correct with my lather. I prefer the scent of PdP by the widest of margins.

I've used the old tallow Tabac, and it's performance is as good as any soap gets. I hate the scent though and don't use it. I won't buy the reformulation. I've got PdP that's going on... 9 yrs old now? it's a decently good soap. I simply prefer other tallows more.

Top Bottom