What's new

PawPaw's Razor's

Wonderful surprise in the mail today. My mom (who made 90yo on July 1) in California sent these 2 razors she found that belonged to my grandfather. She included a note describing remembering him shave with the door open because of the New Orleans heat.
20180724_083434.jpg
20180724_085550.jpg
I haven't had a chance to identify and date them. The brass one is a gillette but the second has no markings at all. I'm also suspicious that the handle is not original to the head. Any info is appreciated. 20180724_083639.jpg
20180724_083716.jpg

Hi,

Material things mean little in and of themselves and have but passing value. It's the family connections that make something priceless and an heirloom. You have a priceless heirlooms. Cherish them, use them to remember your past, and pass it on yourself one day.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice to have family heirlooms to shave with and to pass on to the next generation. Enjoy them.

The brass colored one appears to be a Gillette NEW, made circa 1930 to 1941. It's a fine razor, well respected on the forum, and it shaves well.

It should clean up well with just a 30 minute soak in warm soapy water, and then a gentle scrub with a soft old tooth brush. Don't use any professional cleaners, as any remaining gold is very thin.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I love things like this. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I always say, there's nothing better than an heirloom razor. I love the patina on the Gillette NEW, and i think you are correct that the handle for the old-type head is not the original one. Still, something to be cherished and passed on.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Thanks a wonderful story, David. My grandpa's straight went missing when the vultures relatives swooped down on the house after he died.

Top Bottom