What's new

Pausing to assess my SE razor journey - advice sought

Good morning all,

After the recent Sue Moore Benefit Auction, I've received several SE razors and embarked on my journey with them. I have experience with three that I want to detail, and then ask about next steps. I purchased these razors to support the auction, and for a means to sample a number of SE shavers without seeking out anything specific or high end.

Razor 1 - Shick Type M3 Adjustable Injector
20211108_102214.jpg

The first I tried, and so far my favorite. This provides a nice shave, has a great feel, and is easy to dial in if I'm feeling a little more sensitive or trying to spare some parts of my face. I believe I read that this is generally a pretty mild shave even dialed all the way up - I have been using it at about 3.5, and am generally a mild razor fan in any case.

Razor 2 - GEM Push-Button Style

20211108_102234.jpg

The second razor is a gold and black push button style GEM I received in a lot. It's not the prettiest thing, but is mechanically sound and shaves just fine. I find this razor curious, because it FEELS like it tugs a lot more (I'm using GEM Blue Star blades), and yet doesn't result in an overabundance of razorburn or alum feedback. I don't love the feel in hand or on face as much as the Schick Injector, but it has potential.

Razor 3 - Schick Eversharp Type G (5? 6?) Injector
20211108_102303.jpg

This one was a train wreck. I've shaved with it twice and have cut myself repeatedly and had terrible razor burn. I have never experienced anything nearly so rough as this, and didn't understand prior how people could experience "broken glass" on their face. Well, now I know. I've tried a couple of different blades and a very gentle approach, but same result both times. I can't use this anymore.

I have several questions based on my experience and observations above:

1. Is my experience with the Shick Type G out of proportion? Is this a significantly more aggressive razor than I'm used to, or could there be a defect or irregularity that's causing my poor experience?
  2. I enjoy both the feel and the adjustability of the Shick Type M a great deal. Are there other adjustable single blade razors that injector users could recommend? I see that Parker has a current production model.
  3. How much of a difference do users experience, for both injector and GEM-style blades, between manufacturers? It seems the selection of blades for these types of razors is considerably more limited.
Thanks for your attention and wisdom!

I have all three of those razors and 2 of them are in my 3 razor rotation. I like the adjustable set on 7 with a Chinese schick blade. The Push button works well with a Gem stainless blade. I don't care for the blue blades myself but many here like them.

Blade choice is huge. As far as the GEM goes the only real option are the Persona Stainless PTFE blades. ALL other GEM blades on the market will tug if you're shaving anything more than peach fuzz. You can get them at PAA's website if you're in the states and Connaught if you're in the UK. Tryablade.com also has them. Ted Pella is the cheapest source but you have to buy 200 of them.

For the injectors get yourself some Schick Proline blades. They're not the only option but it's what most people use. They're amazing. They'll bring your SE experience to a new level. Trust me

2. The new Supply Co adjustable injector has completed funding and taken my money. It won't be available till Feb. I think they have a couple slots open for a discount price on Kickstarter, might be done. I went this route because of the price of a Type M now.

The Blue Stars are an enigma blade, it takes me an hour to shave with multiple passes. But it does get there with patience and zero irritation. They are carbon steel.

As mentioned above, the PTFE blades are literally the only choice. I bought mine here

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Nice review, 3 great razors and will agree with the above folks the Gem PTFE blades are great to use.

Reactions: GNR
There us also the Pal Adjustable out there as a vintage injector option. The shaving angle is a bit different from the Schick. It's on the right in the photo.

20201021_142210.jpg

Regards the type G, it is more agressive than an M on 3.5, but shouldn't be that rough. Maybe your blade is bad. Was there a blade in the razor when you loaded it? If the razor was empty it is likely that the new blade was scraped against the stop when loading. That would cause a rough shave!

Regards the type G, it is more agressive than an M on 3.5, but shouldn't be that rough. Maybe your blade is bad. Was there a blade in the razor when you loaded it? If the razor was empty it is likely that the new blade was scraped against the stop when loading. That would cause a rough shave!

It was not empty when I received it, but I did change out the blade immediately as a matter of principle (who knows how long that one had been loaded, and it looked a little dinged). The blade looks aligned just fine at the front of the razor, and I see no visible problem with the safety bar.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations on adjustable SEs and blades. My shopping list grows!

Go shallow with the Push-button, with the razor head almost completely up against your face, and use the PTFE blades, as noted.
With the G injector, load a new blade, use a shallow angle and a very light touch.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've observed that in my hands most of the vintage Gem/ASR razors feel kinda small. In the vintages I'm happiest with something I can put a modern handle on. (Which requires an adaptor screw to convert the obsolete 8-24 thread to 10-32.) With a razor like the MMOC I have to just live with it, which is the main reason I'm not all in for the MMOC though it gives a decent shave.

O.H.

I've observed that in my hands most of the vintage Gem/ASR razors feel kinda small. In the vintages I'm happiest with something I can put a modern handle on. (Which requires an adaptor screw to convert the obsolete 8-24 thread to 10-32.) With a razor like the MMOC I have to just live with it, which is the main reason I'm not all in for the MMOC though it gives a decent shave.

O.H.
When I received my G Type it almost felt like a joke. It’s so tiny in my hand but it’s actually very easy to grip and, because it’s so small, it’s very easy to maneuver.

My guess for the rough shave was going to be loading an empty razor but it doesn’t sound like that’s the reason. It took me about a month of consistently using an injector to really get the technique down. It’s so easy to want to feel the blade touch your skin but that’s when it will cause irritation and cuts. It’s a little odd but use a light touch and keep the angle shallow. It will feel sometimes like it isn’t cutting at all but it actually is.

I am not an adjustable fan, so no advice there. I passed my M on.

My Pushbutton got PIFed, too. Get some Gem PTFE blades, cork lightly before first use. You might want to try a Featherweight as a 'better' Pushbutton (lightweight razors) or a Micromatic. I have a duplicate brass Micromatic open comb (MMOC) that I would be happy to PIF to you (in the USA) if you want to give it a try. PM me.

I have easy comfortable shaves with my Schick Gs. It sounds like yours loads OK and is not damaged. Mysterious. You should post a close up of the loaded razor head. I use the Personna (often rebranded) blades myself.

My only experience is with the type G. I was not happy with it and put it on pause. I have tried it again with plain old Schick injector blades and, this only goes for me, my initial blade angle was what gave me less than desirable results. Placing the head flat against the face is what did it for me. Bringing the head back just a bit will result in what I believe to be scraping. Head/blade angle is the key, assuming your blades are decent.

Just my two cents.

I find the Schick G to be only moderately aggressive, much less than an E2 ( which is the best shaver in my den). A tip or two: 1) Use only Chinese Schick blades [the yellow package]; 2) Don’t overthink it. Schick “built-in” the correct angle, simply ride the guard. You can press or not press, it makes no difference. Just slide it around your face. In my experience it’s pretty much goof-proof.

Top Bottom