What's new

Patience is a Virtue..and squirrels get a reprieve

Have a beautiful Beretta Silver Pigeon sitting at the local gun shop, waiting for me to bring it home and caress its finely engraved surfaces and vaporize some clays.
Also have a Hatsan .25 caliber Model 95 Vortex on the way. Believe it or not the squirrel mafia has gotten tough enough to shake off a solid hit from a .22 and 30’ drop from a tree.
.25 caliber is much more efficient.
But this all must wait.
The positive COVID 19 test results both the wife and I received earlier this month put the blocks to many activities. Planned and otherwise.
Thanksgiving will almost certainly suck.
9FBD8B09-3CBA-4664-A3EF-6CADA7B3F8D4.jpeg

Hopefully we can do better than this.

On a positive note, symptoms have been mild. We are both very grateful for that.
The fear connected with coming down with COVID is probably the worst thing one can experience. Every night you thank God above for getting you through the day and ask for His help in doing the same the following day.
Be safe, be careful, be well...wear the damn mask.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Tim, for you and your wife all the best wishes from here - get well soon.Yes, we wear our masks since March and thank god have not caught it. We are staying mostly home and going only out to ride and shopping, its tough, but needed to stay away from the virus.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Have a beautiful Beretta Silver Pigeon sitting at the local gun shop, waiting for me to bring it home and caress its finely engraved surfaces and vaporize some clays.
Also have a Hatsan .25 caliber Model 95 Vortex on the way. Believe it or not the squirrel mafia has gotten tough enough to shake off a solid hit from a .22 and 30’ drop from a tree.
But this all must wait.
The positive COVID 19 test results both the wife and I received earlier this month put the blocks to many activities. Planned and otherwise.
View attachment 1185171

On a positive note, symptoms have been mild. We are both very grateful for that.
The fear connected with coming down with COVID is probably the worst thing one can experience. Every night you thank God above for getting you through the day and ask for His help in doing the same the following day.
Get well. I am wearing a mask. When this is over I will probably do it during all future flu seasons, too. Asian countries have been doing this for years. If I owned a gun shop, and you had bought a Silver Pigeon from me, I would drop it at your doorstep. Absolutely lovely guns, both looks and function.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes to all!

Get better soon, but don't hesitate if you see a house-eater anywhere near your bird feeder...

I've been sick since Nov. 2, but passed a covid test - hard to believe. Cold symptoms and crushing fatigue /brain fog. No cold ever did this... I could maybe shoot a squirrel but have to wait for the nightly predators to clean it up.

AA

Got one about 90 minutes ago. Zowie they are tough little spuds. Took multiple rounds and a 20’ tumble out of a sourwood tree. Really thinking the .25 will make a difference. I have an M-rod in .25 but it’s a tad cumbersome for “squirrels in the trees duty”.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lady next door used to feed the squirrels.

After a while - when they ate through all the food - they would sit on her railing and scream at her through the window. They are clever little creatures!

After they trained this poor old woman - enslaved her, really - they decided to get more comfortable close to the food source. They bored holes in under the eaves of her roof and started living in her attic.

That's why I call them "house-eaters."

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

After a while - when they ate through all the food - they would sit on her railing and scream at her through the window. They are clever little creatures!

After they trained this poor old woman - enslaved her, really - they decided to get more comfortable close to the food source. They bored holes in under the eaves of her roof and started living in her attic.

AA

You guys have the Norway Rats like we do, don’t you? I hate those bastids, Rats should stay on the ground not climb trees like a bloody squirrel.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

AA
Long long ago my family lived in a pre-revolutionary field stone house just outside Emmitsburg Maryland. (I think it's a ski resort now) There were flying squirrels that lived in the attic and ground squirrels and chipmunks that lived in the yard and deer that came out to feed on the apple falls and a goat in the undercroft and a large black snake that lived between the first floor ceiling and second floor floor. There was a hole in the plaster ceiling in the living room and every once in awhile the black snake would stick it's head out and kinda watch the family to see what was doing. Surprisingly the flying squirrels and black snake both seemed to respect each others territory. There was also a native trout stream and unfortunately my little sister would feed them bread balls from her fingers so I had to either go way up or down stream if I wanted to fill a fry pan.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You guys have the Norway Rats like we do, don’t you? I hate those bastids, Rats should stay on the ground not climb trees like a bloody squirrel.

Why, yes; yes we do.

I have a photo of one somewhere measuring 17.5" nose-to-tail. My Glock 30SF is right next to it for scale.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Long long ago my family lived in a pre-revolutionary field stone house just outside Emmitsburg Maryland. (I think it's a ski resort now) There were flying squirrels that lived in the attic and ground squirrels and chipmunks that lived in the yard and deer that came out to feed on the apple falls and a goat in the undercroft and a large black snake that lived between the first floor ceiling and second floor floor. There was a hole in the plaster ceiling in the living room and every once in awhile the black snake would stick it's head out and kinda watch the family to see what was doing. Surprisingly the flying squirrels and black snake both seemed to respect each others territory. There was also a native trout stream and unfortunately my little sister would feed them bread balls from her fingers so I had to either go way up or down stream if I wanted to fill a fry pan.

It sounds beautiful. I like and respect snakes and their place on the ecosystem.

My squirrel story had a happy ending - with a twist, of course. The flustered old lady asked me for help. She didn't want her house guests shot, of course, so I trapped and transported.... Think it was 22 squirrels over the course of summer into fall. Across a bridge into a neighboring town, never to return.

I let them go in a park... Which was already overrun with squirrels. Since each tree was already "claimed" by these highly territorial little beasts, conflicts immediately ensued.

Well. I'm sure they worked it out eventually. And the gene pool got some diversity.

AA

Reminds me of an incident that happened a long time ago, when I was a youngster.

I never tasted squirrel or thought you could eat them until I met my wife 12 years ago. Growing up squirrels were little grey creatures that scampered around the yard.

I was probably about ten years old when this took place. My father had a laborer, Earl, who worked for my father's company. One day I saw him slice chestnuts and soak them in alcohol. After a while, he took the chestnuts and scattered them around the yard. The squirrels would eat the chestnuts and the alcohol in them slowed them down. Earl would then hit the squirrels with a long-handled rake and kill them. That was the only time I saw anyone kill squirrels for food.

Then when I met my wife we made what I jokingly called the Meet the Fockers tour where we visited all of our relatives to meet them before we got married. Her brother and family lived in Indiana and he was an avid hunter. We stayed with them for several days. He asked me if I liked squirrel and I told him I never tasted it. That night we had fried squirrel with mashed potatoes and gravy. I loved it. Now, whenever we visit him and his family we have squirrel one night and he gives me at least six to bring back home.

But this all must wait.
View attachment 1185171

Man, you should have seen my reaction as I'm reading your intro and seeing the top of the 'Hungry Man' dinner.
Then I started equating squirrels in fall coats and the need for a larger concussion to knock them down with anything but a temple shot.
Finally, drop down into the COVID report and the light dawns. No, we're not having Squirrel stew for Thanksgiving. We have more "traditional" tastes. However, (and here's where my imagination starts to run wild) 'I do have some fine firearms to play with!' Congratulations! I hope the outdoor time with bang-sticks helps you both recuperate in recovery!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I remember as a young lad in the Northern wilds of the great state of Iowa we always had two guys come out to our farm and squirrel hunt. In those days a case of beer and a fifth of whiskey was all it took for Dad to give them hunting privilege's. I digress, I distinctly remember them coming out of the timber with their limit of Fox Squirrels and everyone of them had their heads split in 1/2. I have no idea what they used but a .22 LR would not do that.

I'm a bit late but I hope your doing well with the covid Tim 👍
It ran through my fam last month. Everyone is doing well now.
As for squirrels.. I'm lazy and just go .410.

Top Bottom