What's new

Patent nos on pkg or package

Hello ,
I have been cleaning some of the razors that I have not looked at for awhile and a "no date code" Super Speed that I picked up today. I have another "No date code" that I have had for a couple of years. One difference that I noticed is that one is stamped with "Pat nos on pkg" while the other is stamped "Pat nos on package" . I believe that notation started in 1950, but I have seen nothing that indicates a change in "package " vs. pkg. I picked this up in what appears to be the proper case for $15.00. It's already given that much in entertainment. If there is any expertise out there on any significance to this difference, I will be interested to hear it. If anyone will know, it is the B&B population!

In this case (pun intended) the cases are how we know they changed the base plate stamping in 1950. They first introduced the plastic cases in 49.
42920135912_b465cf2e75_h.jpg

The one on the left is from 49 and the one on the right 50.

The reason we know this is there are a few collectors who have managed to score complete store sales racks with legit NOS razors as part of the sales racks from both years. You can search either here or on other forums like TSD looking for a thread titled NOS 1949 Super-Speed Razor Sets In Original Store Display Rack for more information on the display racks. Based on what style razor was with each year display rack of these is how the 1950 has been confirmed as the first year of the Pat Nos on Pkg stamping.

Thanks much! Yesterday's purchase appears to late 1950. The case and "pkg" combination works. The pictures are a big help.

Very timely post for me! I was at my parents house for dinner the other night and mentioned to my dad I started wet shaving a couple months ago... Dad tells me has my great-grandfathers old shaving kit in his closet and then gave me his brush and Super Speed with the red/clear case, no date code. I did a little research and figured out it was either a 1949 or 1950. This post confirms its a 1950. I cleaned it up and shaved with it yesterday, it was awesome!! Pretty awesome that I'm now shaving with the razor that my great-grandpa bought nearly 70 years ago.

Does anyone know if this holds true for Techs as well? I have a ball end with no date code that says "Package". It has oval slots, so post '47. Just curious as it shaves better than any other razor I have tried.

Does anyone know if this holds true for Techs as well? I have a ball end with no date code that says "Package". It has oval slots, so post '47. Just curious as it shaves better than any other razor I have tried.

As far as I know it does for 3pc techs. 38 - 49 or 50 will say Pat Nos on Package with triangular or oval slots on the safety bars. 51 and up with date codes all say Pat Nos on Pkg. I haven't seen a 50 that says Pat Nos On Pkg without a date code for a 3pc tech but it most likely follows suite with the other product lines.

They changed the slots sometime during WWII on the military issue razors. Unless yours is a military issue, it is a 46 - 49 or 50.

As far as I know it does for 3pc techs. 38 - 49 or 50 will say Pat Nos on Package with triangular or oval slots on the safety bars. 51 and up with date codes all say Pat Nos on Pkg. I haven't seen a 50 that says Pat Nos On Pkg without a date code for a 3pc tech but it most likely follows suite with the other product lines.

They changed the slots sometime during WWII on the military issue razors. Unless yours is a military issue, it is a 46 - 49 or 50.
Thank you for the info. That is what I was reading for the Super Speeds and was hoping it carried over to the Techs. About half way through 1950 they changed to pkg. Probably when they started date codes.

Top Bottom