What's new

PATEK verification

Very close to purchasing a Patek Gondolo from an established dealer out of town. Since they do have a liberal return policy I want to verify it's completely legit. Are there places to take it to have it inspected and verified? I know ebay offers that service for watches over $2000 now (probably since there was so much fraud). I want to verify that everything is legit since I've heard of dealers that will replace the gold buckle sometimes hoping nobody notices. Also, what about the components inside the watch? Can those be inspected also?

Do you have a Patek dealer near where you are?

If not, you can get an 'extract from the archive' from Patek.
This is something I would do regardless if buying a PP because if/when it comes to re-selling you need to show as much provenance as possible due to the number of super-fakes and stolen watches.

I think it costs 500 swiss francs (540USD) but it's probably worth it in the long run.

The other option is to send it in for a service beacuse they'll give you a pre-service appraisal. So if they offer to service it, you know it's genuine! Just refuse the service and have it returned to you if you don't want to go through with it.

Remember to always buy the seller and caveat emptor

Do you have a Patek dealer near where you are?

If not, you can get an 'extract from the archive' from Patek.
This is something I would do regardless if buying a PP because if/when it comes to re-selling you need to show as much provenance as possible due to the number of super-fakes and stolen watches.

I think it costs 500 swiss francs (540USD) but it's probably worth it in the long run.

The other option is to send it in for a service beacuse they'll give you a pre-service appraisal. So if they offer to service it, you know it's genuine! Just refuse the service and have it returned to you if you don't want to go through with it.

Remember to always buy the seller and caveat emptor
Thanks. It comes with the extract form Archive. Like I said this is a reputable dealer. However, with this kind of $ being spent, I want to take no chances.
I live in NYC and there is a Service Center in Rockefeller Center (friend went there and had his Patek sent to Switzerland for work to be done-cost a lot). I'll give them a call.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am not the guy to answer. I have watches inexpensive enough that if they keep proper time, I'm happy.

But hey, you have the desire to spend big coin on a high-end watch, so ... enjoy!

My thoughts are as follows from someone who has never bought such a vintage watch long distance

1. Buy from an established dealer-Check
2. Buy from someone who has a reasonable return/inspection policy in writing-Check
3. Buy using a credit card that will allow you to dispute the charge if there are issues with the watch
4. Perhaps with photos/extract can be confirmed over the phone/online
5. Your thought re your local resources as you live in NYC is an excellent one

Let us know what you do.

Just got the watch today. There is a watch repair nearby where I got some older watches repaired a few yrs ago. Guy that owns the place was a long time employee of Richemont Group, owner of a number of watch brands, many of them high end. I will drop by there this weekend to have him take a look. I know he is a big fan of IWC watches, in particular the Portugese line. See what he recommends.

FYI-here is picture of watch. Not actual watch but a photo off a website.

proxy.php

Issue solved. I called the Henri Stern Agency, the US distributor for Patek and asked them the question. They said they offer a free evaluation to see if anything is needed. The good news is I'll get the verification I need. the bad news is, form what I've read and heard, any kind of tuneup on a Patek will cost a lot of $ and some work has to be sent to Switzerland for work. We'll see.

Top Bottom