What's new

Patchouli?

Go into your local headshop or Asian junk shop and you will smell it.. Heavy and strong odor.. Very popular incense ingredient..

It really depends on whether or not you are dealing with the actual essential oil or a fragrance oil. The essential oil is described as: an amber or dark orange viscous liquid with a sweet, rich, herbaceous-earthy odor which inproves with age.

Some fragrance oils come close and others are, well totally different.

Find an unwashed dead-head or hippie and you will find what patchouli oil smells like, overused by that community, but it can be tolerable when mixed with other notes and not used to cover up BO.

It really depends on whether or not you are dealing with the actual essential oil or a fragrance oil. The essential oil is described as: an amber or dark orange viscous liquid with a sweet, rich, herbaceous-earthy odor which inproves with age.

Some fragrance oils come close and others are, well totally different.
+1

I always roll my eyes when I read the responses in a patchouli thread that always bash it, but this one is pretty accurate. Patchouli is in the mint family. It is earthy/sweet and herbaceous. It's actually quite crisp. Head shops, hippies, and badly-done fragrance oils have forever sullied its reputation.

In terms of shaving, patchouli is what makes Musgo Real so intoxicatingly rich. Vetiver on its own is dark, grassy and smoky. Add some patchouli and magic happens.

Patchouli always get slammed with the "hippie" rap. Straight patchouli does have a smell associated with some of the incense and such that they seemed to embrace.

But patchouli as referenced with men's scents is all over the place. It is generally a part of a blend of notes- not just the raw earthy hippie-associated scent.

Some great scents have patchouli. Azzaro Pour Homme, Antaeus, Bowling Green, Brut, Canoe, Chaps, Drakkar Noir, Havana, Aramis, Obsession, Polo, PS Paul Sebastian, Yatagan all contain patchouli.

A lot of the classic 80s scents used a blend of patchouli and sandalwood. Versace L'Homme, Santos de Cartier, Giorgio for Men. These are elegant, potent manly scents.

Some of the scents listed here may smell a little dated- but they do not smell like hippies.

Last edited:
Well said, stylin'. I personally do not have a problem with the patcholi oil of Haight Street in 1969. Perhaps it reminds me of halcyon days and romance.

But patcholi as a fragrance ingredient, as an accord, is a whole different story. Hugely varied, and as important and as "noble" as things like vetiver, sandalwood, lavender, cedar, vanilla, oakmoss, and neroli. And one does not at all have to go back in time to find it as centerpiece in frags, not just in a supporting role. Mazzolari Lui leaps to mind.

Just do not want anyone to undersell it, at least without trying it, as an accord in good frags!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I use the Patchouli that Wendy at SCS makes. I do not think it has anything to do with hippies. It does have an earthy smell but is very subtle it can be worn very easily without overpowering anyone.

Patchouli always get slammed with the "hippie" rap. Straight patchouli does have a smell associated with some of the incense and such that they seemed to embrace.

But patchouli as referenced with men's scents is all over the place. It is generally a part of a blend of notes- not just the raw earthy hippie-associated scent.

Some great scents have patchouli. Azzaro Pour Homme, Antaeus, Bowling Green, Brut, Canoe, Chaps, Drakkar Noir, Havana, Aramis, Obsession, Polo, PS Paul Sebastian, Yatagan all contain patchouli.

A lot of the classic 80s scents used a blend of patchouli and sandalwood. Versace L'Homme, Santos de Cartier, Giorgio for Men. These are elegant, potent manly scents.

Some of the scents listed here may smell a little dated- but they do not smell like hippies.

That's the type of answer I was looking for, I knew there was someone here that could really put this into proper perspective.

Thank You!

Musgo Real Classic is a patchouli and vetiver splash that is popular, fairly long lasting for an AS, and inexpensive. I use it with a little Musgo Oak Moss cologne. Not too shabby.

That's the type of answer I was looking for, I knew there was someone here that could really put this into proper perspective.

Thank You!

You're quite welcome. I see the hippie comments come up here and in Basneotes... I feel the need to defend poor patchouli which has been a noble ingreditent in men's frags for a long time.

There are few scents where it really is dominant and has that 1969 San Francisco vibe.

I am mystified at the negative comments about patchouli. I love the scent, and use it in EO form to layer with other fragrances. I also knew many people in the "youth culture" back in the day. They did not stink. They did burn incense and sometimes use patchouli oil. The girls I knew back then smelled really good.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Never could stand patchouli. Nothing to do with hippies or anything. Always smelled strongly of licorice to me. Real problem is when a friend walks into the tavern. The door is a good 30' from where I sit. As soon as the door opens everyone can tell "He's back".

Never could stand patchouli. Nothing to do with hippies or anything. Always smelled strongly of licorice to me. Real problem is when a friend walks into the tavern. The door is a good 30' from where I sit. As soon as the door opens everyone can tell "He's back".

No scent should be recognizable at 30 feet! I do not think you can blame that on patcholi.

Patcholi can have a bit of anise/licorice to it. But also lots of other notes, without any anise that is detectable. To me patcholi in good scents most often comes across or add a smokiness, and maybe a bit of sweetness that is not at all foral. Often, it seems to me, to be part of what seems like an oriental flavor to some scents. I am thinking that lots of folks, including myself, would often have trouble picking out patcholi in at least some scents that have a lot of patcholi in them. I suppose I am just saying that patcholi can be very different scent to scent. Again, a hugely important ingredient is lots and lots of scents! YMMV!

You'll know patchouli the instant you smell it by itself, especially if you've been, seen, done some of what has been described above. The oil has been used extensively and by itself as a conditioner for dreadlocks, and anyone who has used it this way can hide from neither man nor beast.

On the other hand, it is all over the place in fragrances, and is a classic component for some base note fragrances. Ideally, it is well mixed so that few could recognize its presence as a component, but smile when they catch it briefly on the wind.

Top Bottom