What's new

Pasteur's Lex NYC w Pics

I was in NYC today near the uptown Pasteur's and thought of the post from tpwpny earlier this week and the interest in seeing pics. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/486729-Tours-of-the-Pasteurs

So I took my camera out and snapped a few. A few things to note for anyone who's interested but hasn't been:
  1. I hit the Lex store. I prefer the 34th street that has a little more room, a larger selection, and a lot more variety from newer entrants to the biz like RazoRock, Soap Commander, Caitie's Bubbles... I still love the Lex store but it seems more locked into the entrenched players: English soap makers, Musgo Real, Floid, SMN, Tabac, MWF, etc.
  2. Razors - almost all were a few Merkur models and I don't think I saw a slant or progress, but did see a Futur. Three ATTs, one or two Ikons. Some nice brushes too. The 34th street really shines in the hardware department vs. Lex.
  3. Big points for having TOBS Shaving Shop cream and the new soap from Fine Accoutrements. Shaving Shop is very hard to find and might not be sold in the US according to some posts. The new Fine Soap just started getting to people in the mail yesterday and Pasteur already had it on the shelves. I got it in the mail today but snuck it into my haul pick below.
  4. Prices generally were fair or slightly above where you might pay elsewhere. However, it is NYC and they let you open up and smell everything on the shelves that isn't sealed. I will happily pay $2 extra for a tub of Tobs just for that ability to shop around. I asked if there was a discount for B&B and they said no. Don't know if I was talking to the wrong clerk or if I just hallucinated that there was a discount. Still I will keep coming back to these stores every time I'm in the city. Fantastic shops, both of them.
$IMG_0778.jpg$IMG_0779.jpg$IMG_0780.jpg$IMG_0782.jpg$IMG_0783.jpg

Man I wish we had a place with half of that selection. It must be nice to actually see/smell the product and not have to buy samples of everything to figure out what scents one likes.

Man I wish we had a place with half of that selection. It must be nice to actually see/smell the product and not have to buy samples of everything to figure out what scents one likes.
No doubt about it. It's great to have a store with that variety and even better having one that lets you open stuff up.

That is awesome. You picked up some great products.

I am so jealous. Everything I order is completely blind. Would kill to have a store close by with that selection.

its so sad that i lived in NYC all my life and never ventured here.

I worked in NYC for more than 25 years. I don't know when Pasteur's began to carry so much shaving goods, but I recall my first visit there was in the early 2000s when I was walking by it and spotted some of the items in the store.

WOW!
When did this store open. I grew up in NYC. I worked on Madison and I later lived off Lex.
I walked up and down every day. If I knew about it I would have moved in.

Pasteur's has at least one fan outside B&B. On a Seinfeld rerun the other night, Elaine was looking for "the sponge" without success all over the city. She found the last ones (a whole case, no less) at Pasteur's. The sign in front was shown.

Top Bottom