What's new

Pasted strop for edge maintaining

Few weeks ago I was watching a video on you tube and this guy was using some chromium oxide paste(0.50 micron) on a nylon strop to maintain is edge. He was using the green paste, so I had the same paste at home and I went to a music store and bought a nylon guitar strap. I pasted my strop, let it dry a full day and gave it 15 laps on 1 of my straight who was starting to pull and tug. Clean the blade whit a tissue carfuly and strop it on my clean nylon(not pasted) 30 laps and finish up whit 60 on leather. To me for that razor it bring back the edge shave ready just like when a received the razor! Right now I did 12 shaves on the razor just by using my regular stroping routine I got very close, comfy nice shaves. Maybe the results could be different on my other razors but futur will tell. I kept a journal of # shaves I can get before I use the pasted strop again, but to my guess I think i’ll Probably good for at least 30 shaves. So to my conclusion every straight shavers who knows the technics how to shave and to strop should try it before puting a blade on a stone, of course it’s only my opinion and some already tried it and didn’t like it, but it deosn’t Cost much to try. Most important thing get some paste from some reputable straight shaving vendors.
I can remember i had an uncle that use to make his linen strops out of an old pair of blue jeans. Back then you cut the legs off your jeans to make shorts and my aunt would save them and make strops for him. I know he had a regular strop and linen. I'am thinking he used the blue jean strop for paste maybe?

I can remember i had an uncle that use to make his linen strops out of an old pair of blue jeans. Back then you cut the legs off your jeans to make shorts and my aunt would save them and make strops for him. I know he had a regular strop and linen. I'am thinking he used the blue jean strop for paste maybe?
Yep that should work, even a nylon belt will work to! Being a guitar player the nylon guitar strap came to my mind and it works the very best for me, the strap is 2’’ wide so it works perfectly fine for me

Yep that should work, even a nylon belt will work to! Being a guitar player the nylon guitar strap came to my mind and it works the very best for me, the strap is 2’’ wide so it works perfectly fine for me
Yeah soon as i read that i grabbed one off the wall and threw it in the wash machine, It had become a dust collector. This one is about 2.5 wide old Planet Waves strap. I am going to try your theory out tho indeed

Yeah soon as i read that i grabbed one off the wall and threw it in the wash machine, It had become a dust collector. This one is about 2.5 wide old Planet Waves strap. I am going to try your theory out tho indeed
Have tested any straight yet! If so did it wok? Let us know

Have tested any straight yet! If so did it wok? Let us know
I actually did strop one i bought off ebay that claimed to be shave ready. When it arrived i shaved with it and thought if this is shave ready it just barely is, so i stropped it on the planetwaves and it became even worse. My lapping film just came in yesterday but waiting on a buddy that does granite counter tops to drop me off a sink cut out so i can cut it down to size for my lapping film. I only ordered 1um and 3um so we shall see how it goes once i'am not putting in 14 hr days. Just been to beat to mess with it. But be fair warren ed my stropping skills are very minimal, it could have just been the method i used to be honest

I actually did strop one i bought off ebay that claimed to be shave ready. When it arrived i shaved with it and thought if this is shave ready it just barely is, so i stropped it on the planetwaves and it became even worse. My lapping film just came in yesterday but waiting on a buddy that does granite counter tops to drop me off a sink cut out so i can cut it down to size for my lapping film. I only ordered 1um and 3um so we shall see how it goes once i'am not putting in 14 hr days. Just been to beat to mess with it. But be fair warren ed my stropping skills are very minimal, it could have just been the method i used to be honest
Well my guess is that the razor was not shave ready at all, of course good stropping tech is also crucial to get great results. It took me about 2 months for sure to learn good stropping technique and knowing all that when you got your tech right(stropping and Shaving) you can go a long way by just stropping on leather and cloth(nylon or else). Let me know the results whit your lapping film will get you.

Very instructive! Is it your video or you found it on you tube?

Just one I found while researching pastes.

...From what I understand, pastes and paddle (and loom) strops are more popular in Europe. I have heard that there are straight razor users that only use stones for rare occasions, such as edge damage (chips), but use nothing but pastes or CrOx, etc. for normal edge maintenance. I read a thread where there was an experiment with razors stropped with CrOx and then plain leather before every shave, using nothing else for over a year, with great success. I find this extremely interesting.

Another great video:

Make sure captions are on, if you don't speak Italian.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CCR
I started with a Whippeddog poor man’s strop kit. It came with a balsa strop that had CrOx and FeOx.

once I figured out what I was doing, I found CrOx/FeOx, and CBN .5/.25, and .3 film to be harsh feeling on the face. film and CBN/diamond pastes felt better than CrOx/FeOx, but all of them not as smooth as JNATs, for example. All are perfectly sharp/keen enough, but some harsher feeling than others.

Trying Slash’s .1 diamond on balsa method was pretty revelatory. Supremely keen, but buttery smooth. That .1 completely changes the feel.

I know of no more inexpensive way of getting a fine, comfortable edge. If pastes are your thing, it’s worth trying.

Just one I found while researching pastes.

...From what I understand, pastes and paddle (and loom) strops are more popular in Europe. I have heard that there are straight razor users that only use stones for rare occasions, such as edge damage (chips), but use nothing but pastes or CrOx, etc. for normal edge maintenance. I read a thread where there was an experiment with razors stropped with CrOx and then plain leather before every shave, using nothing else for over a year, with great success. I find this extremely interesting.

Another great video:

Make sure captions are on, if you don't speak Italian.
Haha i 'am guessing he didn't like that brush?

Top Bottom