What's new

Past Gun Buys You Are So HAPPY About Now

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
With fire obviously.
That, or perhaps a Dremel & a grinding bit...

I bought my S&W M 29 back in the late '80s IIRC. While I rarely shoot it nowadays, I shot it a lot when I first bought it. I'd hate to pay today's prices for one.
I bought two late 80's or early 90's, one standard blue which is deepest richest looking blue on any of my guns, the other a stainless variant, called Pro Hunter, barrel is 8 3/8 factory ported for muzzle flip and an unfluted cylinder.

I bought my S&W M 29 back in the late '80s IIRC. While I rarely shoot it nowadays, I shot it a lot when I first bought it. I'd hate to pay today's prices for one.
I bought two late 80's or early 90's, one standard blue which is deepest richest looking blue on any of my guns, the other a stainless variant, called Pro Hunter, barrel is 8 3/8 factory ported for muzzle flip and an unfluted cylinder.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have one of those, looks about like a 4" barrel, nickel plated. It belonged to my father-in-law. When he died my wifes brother or sister had no interest and she wanted it, so it resides here. The grips had a big piece missing, and there was a spring missing in the works. I got a set of reproduction grips, then looked off and on several years before I found a spring that could be modified to work. Is ft's been so long that I don't remember what the spring was for, but it works as intended now. The lock up for the tilt opening is as tight as if it were new, really stiff. some I have seen were so worn and loose as to probably be unsafe.

Mower's set high. It's just dry and hot here most of the growing season.
I have my rider set at about 3" now, 31" of rain so far this year and may that's 10.3/month. If I mowed today I would be throwing rooster tails. I already mowed twice in March and frequency will increase. As things dry out I will raise mowing height probably up to 4- 4 12" If this year is like last and so dry in August may only mow every 2-3 weeks.

Several Pistols, including a 69c Browning Hi-Power, Ruger Security 6, Colt Trooper, Ruger P345, and a Taurus 709.
Most recent rifle was a Trapdoor 'Carbine'. Seller didn't know who made it. Metal looked as new, but the wood looked to have had some kind of plaque attached at one time - big cruddy patch of rough glue remaining. I badmouthed the wood & got it stupidly cheap. Couldn't find any replica manufacturer or Italian Proofs on it. Finally found an 1873 manufacturing date from a Springfield website & some original stamps. Wasn't carbine at all, but a 'cutdown rifle'. Bannerman had bought up all the available warehoused rifles & loose parts. Carbines were more in demand, so he cut down many unissued rifles. Mine has the Rifle triggerguard & sling swivel and no saddle ring & appears to have been assembled from unissued parts; the sights are commercial sights of the type made in the early 1900's. Blue is as new & bore is pristine. Wood cleaned up nicely. It has no real collector value, but for a $125 rifle, it is great fun to shoot.
0124172139-1.jpg

Attachments

• 0116171917.jpg
    0116171917.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 3
  • 0124172134.jpg
    0124172134.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
It has no real collector value, but for a $125 rifle, it is great fun to shoot.

So essentially you got a "new" US mfg. 1873 Trapdoor Springfield so clean it could be a replica for $125...

...is that what you are saying? Oh, and it went through Bannerman Island as well!!!!!

proxy.php

Last edited:
So essentially you got a "new" US mfg. 1873 Trapdoor Springfield so clean it could be a replica for $125...

...is that what you are saying? Oh, and it went through Bannerman Island as well!!!!!

proxy.php
Exactly.
When I was a kid in the 60's, a buddy's Dad got an unissued $50 Trapdoor rifle, complete with sling & bayonet, and also a crate of original surplus ammo. We shot it a lot! But today, the only Trapdoors I see look like worn out & neglected, overpriced rifles.

>45-70 Black Powder carbine loads are quite managable - more like 12 ga. field loads. OTOH, the .45-70 smokeless loads for my 1895 Marlin are another critter entirely.
Amen to that!! I have a mold for my 45-70, a Lyman 457130, that throws a 150 gr bullet. A short conical front, huge grease groove, and narrow rear driving band. My sister used to get a kick out of shooting the big Browning BPCR as it had no noticeable recoil. Stick a big 565 gr Postell bullet over a load of compressed black powder and it kicks. My Marlin guide gun with ported barrel and heavy smokeless loads hurts off a bench.

Last edited:
Exactly.
When I was a kid in the 60's, a buddy's Dad got an unissued $50 Trapdoor rifle, complete with sling & bayonet, and also a crate of original surplus ammo. We shot it a lot! But today, the only Trapdoors I see look like worn out & neglected, overpriced rifles.

Absolutely spectacular find, well done! The upside is amazing. Who cares if it is a cutdown, it's a shooter without regrets.

For me it was my K6s. Around the time it was out, the new Colt Cobra revolver was out. I agonized until I got my hands on them and pulled the trigger. The Colt trigger was kinda all over the place. Some where gritty and some where smooth. When I tried the K6s, everyone had a superb trigger. I chose the Kimber and am glad that I did.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For me it was my K6s. Around the time it was out, the new Colt Cobra revolver was out. I agonized until I got my hands on them and pulled the trigger. The Colt trigger was kinda all over the place. Some where gritty and some where smooth. When I tried the K6s, everyone had a superb trigger. I chose the Kimber and am glad that I did.

Do you have a picture of it?

Didn't buy this one, but will never part with. 1954 Colt 357. My dad bought it new in '54 and gave it to me when I started the Academy in '77. Carried it on duty for many years. It still gets to the range regularly. They don't make 'em like this anymore.View attachment 1081146

I thought I knew about most 20th century Colt revolvers but these completely escaped me. About a month ago I watched the vid below and found out about them. It bumped the Lawman on my short list (would take one though if found) -

Top Bottom