What's new

Past Gun Buys You Are So HAPPY About Now

Well, it doesnt qualify as a past buy as it was a family heirloom that was passed from my grandfather to my father when he returned from overseas duty and from my father to me. Its a Smith and Wesson model 1917 double-action revolver chambered in .45ACP.

During the dark days of WWI production of .45 ACP Auto sidearms was falling behind. The US Army contracted with both Colt and S&W to produce DA revolvers chambered for the .45ACP. Each manufacturer produced 150,000. I've seen many examples of both over the years and find the Colts to be generally crude compared to the S&W's although it should be said that both performed well.

The S&W Model 1917 was a version of the Model 44 chambered instead for .45 ACP, using a shortened cylinder allowing for use of half-moon clips, and a lanyard ring on the butt of the frame.

The S&W M1917 is different from the Colt M1917 in that the S&W cylinder has a shoulder machined into it to permit the rimless .45 ACP round to headspace on the case mouth. In this way the S&W 1917 could be used without half moon clips, although the empty cases would have to be poked-out manually through the cylinder face, since the extractor cannot engage the rimless cases. When half-moon clips are used the cases eject normally.

My pistol is stock, it was never altered from war time use and I have to say I have never fired a military weapon with a lighter or crisper trigger pull (when firing SA), and that includes a couple M40 sniper rifles. Every time I take this masterpiece to the range I am stunned by its accuracy and smoothness. Not bad for a firearm rushed through production for wartime duty. Note the case hardened trigger.

This weapon made me a life long fan of S&W. I only wish it could tell me the stories my grandfather couldn't.

SW 1917 1.JPG

S&W 1917 2.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well, it doesnt qualify as a past buy as it was a family heirloom that was passed from my grandfather to my father when he returned from overseas duty and from my father to me. Its a Smith and Wesson model 1917 double-action revolver chambered in .45ACP.

During the dark days of WWI production of .45 ACP Auto sidearms was falling behind. The US Army contracted with both Colt and S&W to produce DA revolvers chambered for the .45ACP. Each manufacturer produced 150,000. I've seen many examples of both over the years and find the Colts to be generally crude compared to the S&W's although it should be said that both performed well.

The S&W Model 1917 was a version of the Model 44 chambered instead for .45 ACP, using a shortened cylinder allowing for use of half-moon clips, and a lanyard ring on the butt of the frame.

The S&W M1917 is different from the Colt M1917 in that the S&W cylinder has a shoulder machined into it to permit the rimless .45 ACP round to headspace on the case mouth. In this way the S&W 1917 could be used without half moon clips, although the empty cases would have to be poked-out manually through the cylinder face, since the extractor cannot engage the rimless cases. When half-moon clips are used the cases eject normally.

My pistol is stock, it was never altered from war time use and I have to say I have never fired a military weapon with a lighter or crisper trigger pull (when firing SA), and that includes a couple M40 sniper rifles. Every time I take this masterpiece to the range I am stunned by its accuracy and smoothness. Not bad for a firearm rushed through production for wartime duty. Note the case hardened trigger.

This weapon made me a life long fan of S&W. I only wish it could tell me the stories my grandfather couldn't.

View attachment 1077476

View attachment 1077477

Always wanted one of those ...thanks for sharing!

AA

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wish I still had my replica Navy Colt 44 magnum. When I would open up that bad boy on the range, people generally stopped shooting and looked my way. It made a lot of noise (but nowhere near practical). It was fun as heck to shoot, at least for 75 rounds.

At present, I'm really enjoying my Sig P365, and it's what I carry most of the time now. But the one I debated over (and saved for!) for a long time, and then finally bought is my Les Baer Concept VI .45 ACP. It shoots like a dream and is what I use most of the time whenever I have a chance to compete (which isn't often these days).

Among the favorites would have to be the 6 inch Colt Diamondback .38, the WWI Colt and WWII Ithaca 1911s, a pre 64 Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H that I've no idea why I needed it other than it was a friend who had cancer that I got several others from including a custom Mosin Nagant in .416x54r, also a prize, a S&W model 58, several 3 screw Blackhawks and a lot of things that aren't popping to mind. Same friend tried to make me a deal on a Luger that I let escape thinking I had more time.

A formerly 32 rimfire Remington 1½ rolling block that's now another wildcat, 30 Badger, 38 special brass run through 30 mauser dies.

Another pre64 model 70 that was made into a single shot varmint rifle in the 50s a .219 Donaldson Wasp.

I have a bunch of weird things that I really like.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Shucks, I’m pleased with ‘em all, but this one holds a special place in the safe & not so much because of what it is, but rather, because of how I sleeplessly stumbled onto it.

She’s a 1982 commercial - i.e., non-import - P7 PSP (PSP=exposed heel release) in an HK factory display case. Some twenty-years back, having tossed & turned most of this particular Sunday morning, I rolled out bed sometime around 0130 to see who else might be awake. Fired up the desktop & as was the pattern, went straightaway to the WTB/WTS/WTT section of the Park City Tactical~Cult of The P7 Forums. There, right at the top & barely 1-minute-old, was a listing for this PSP. As fate would have it, the seller, who was also wrestling with his mattress, made the decision to list the P7 right then & there instead of later that morning.

Im still happy with my Walther PPQ 5" 9mm. It was a great gun when I bought it and still is. Part of me still wants to pick up a revolver but now I'll wait until things settle down before I take another serious look at that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Shucks, I’m pleased with ‘em all, but this one holds a special place in the safe & not so much because of what it is, but rather, because of how I sleeplessly stumbled onto it.

She’s a 1982 commercial - i.e., non-import - P7 PSP (PSP=exposed heel release) in an HK factory display case. Some twenty-years back, having tossed & turned most of this particular Sunday morning, I rolled out bed sometime around 0130 to see who else might be awake. Fired up the desktop & as was the pattern, went straightaway to the WTB/WTS/WTT section of the Park City Tactical~Cult of The P7 Forums. There, right at the top & barely 1-minute-old, was a listing for this PSP. As fate would have it, the seller, who was also wrestling with his mattress, made the decision to list the P7 right then & there instead of later that morning.

Very nice

I forgot about the Colt 1911 about 10-12 years ago, factory gold inlaid and engraved, and a fitted display case. Not the best grade of inlays or engraving I had seen, but it was affordable.

It would have to be my May 1945 M1 Garand. I got it in the mid-90's for $300 (CMP rifle). It loves 200 gr. cast bullets pushed with a medium burn rate powder to 1900 fps. I'm not much of a marksman but with this rifle I have no problem hitting the steel 8 for 8 at 138 yds.
garand.jpg

I love the CMP. My brother and I used to drive up to CMP North whenever I got back to Ohio. I bought three rifles from them, a 1898 Krag, 1903A3, and an M1. I still have all three. Good memories.

I could list any of several which, upon reflection have proven especially gratifying to acquire and use.

One would be a snub nosed Colt l keep here.

Went to the bankruptcy auction of a local gun shop some years ago. After I'd spent too much cleaning up on reloading supplies for my larder and H&R Handy Rifles for resale I was standing in the back of the room, idly watching the auction wind down. The auctioneer described the next lot as a Colt Detective Special. OOO... I'd always wanted a Detective Special! He held it up for all to see, but I was 50 feet from it. Bidding commenced but began to peter out as it approached $100 at which point I made a perfunctory bid. Bidding came to a sputtering stop at $115 and I had won.

After the auction, I went forward to pay up and collect my prize. I had no idea about the Detective Special's condition, whether original or refinished, bubba'ed, worn out. Imagine my surprise when it proved to be the very uncommonly seen pre-World War II Bankers Special rather than a Detective Special.

Colt introduced the .38 S&W chambered Bankers Special simultaneously with the Detective Special in .38 Special in 1926. Presumably the Bankers Special was intended for wimpy bankers who could not handle the recoil of the Detective Special. The Detective Special was made for many years, but World War II killed off the Bankers Special, never to be reintroduced after the war.

Like the .38 Police Positive of which the Bankers Special is a derivative model, the revolver was said to chamber the .38 Colt New Police, but it really was Smith & Wesson's proprietary cartridge, the .38 S&W. Only the bullet shape was changed to possess a small flat nose. It would appear that Colt couldn't bring itself to place its competitor's name within a barrel roll mark.

It's a plucky little revolver and can stitch up a silhouette target a treat with accurate double-action rapid fire out to 10-15 yards or so. I'd prefer it over any .380 automatic and any .380 load made. Six reliable shots with bullets weighing up to 200 grains. That's a payload of 1200 grains of heavy lead in a compact package when a runt .380 can only manage a payload of 600 grains.

The revolver was a "real deal" back in the 1980s when I got it. Its ownership and occasional use still tickles me. I was a career banker from the time I was 18 and all self-respecting bankers ought to have a Bankers Special, oughten they?

With much ceremony I carried the Bankers Special for the last week I worked before I retired the last day of March of 2016, smug in the notion that I was likely the only banker in the 21st century to be toting a Bankers Special. This photo was taken early on that last morning. The Bankers Special is covered in pocket fuzz from being pocket carried in a De Santis Nemesis holster intended for a Detective Special.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Several. Most of which I've passed to my nephew now, like my Sako TRG-S .338 Lapua. I bought it in 1995 and at the time it was only the third one in Canada.

I dont have pictures of the rifle itself, so groups will have to do. It has a Bushnell 4-12 on it. 225 grain Barnes TSX at 3200 fps.

2011-07-09 14.03.57.jpg

Another one I gave him was #1 my carry everywhere do it all gun for a lot of years. From teal to deer and everything in between. A Remington 11-87 SPS-T with extended tube and combat bolt handle.

Remington 11-87 SPS-T .JPG

My top choice for a rifle now is this. Savage 110 single shot in .22-250 with a Leupold 6.5-20 target scope. Its a death ray.

Savage 110 SS .22.250 Leupold 20x.JPG

The one that is seldom more than two steps away though is Lucy Lu. A 20" 20g side by side.

Lucy Lu.JPG

Another one I was proud to own was this Gamba Montreal trap/skeet set.

Gamba Montreal Trap Skeet set.JPG

A beautiful set but the reality was, for shooting competitive trap, I shot my uncles old Remington 1100 better. I still have it and it's replaced my 11-87.

In the 80s several of these came in to the FFL I frequented. They were spoken for before I got the chance on one. They were all clearly used. Solid guns but bluing wear & bumps in the grip panels. Yours looks unissued, amazing condition. Upside of missing out on getting one, I got a S&W 25-2 as a consolation prize.

Fun show anecdote on the S&W vs. the Colts, take it FWIW. S&W made them alongside their regular large frame revolvers in production then. In essence they were already making it and it made no sense to do a separate version with cost downs. Colt however was not making anything similar at the time (although they had in the recent past). They had to essentially put that model back into production. In doing so they saw ways to lessen the cost and why there is a disparity between the models. (I'd still take either one though.)

I'd prefer it over any .380 automatic and any .380 load made. Six reliable shots with bullets weighing up to 200 grains. That's a payload of 1200 grains of heavy lead in a compact package when a runt .380 can only manage a payload of 600 grains.

Very cool revolver regardless and at $115, outright theft. Add Colt letter and a big Well Done!

Some things to consider about the load. Yours sounds similar to the .38-200 (.38 S&W interchangeable). It was the WW2 British service load for their Enfields & Webleys. Ballistics tell the tale though. The .380ACP bests it in velocity and ft. lbs. delivered in nearly any loading. (Does not make me want to get shot by one.)

With similar barrel length this load adds ~40 ft. lbs. over the .38-200 under 25 yards. Might be an option if you carry it -

Top Bottom