What's new

Passing along some gear to a friend!

Keep your fingers crossed.
I'm passing along some gear to a very good friend of mine.
I hope he likes it. He actually asked me for a razor and some blades the other day.
I've got a very nice SS TV special in a case for him.
I'll do up a few blades I've got laying around (Feather, Personna Med Prep, Gillette silver blue, Sharks and I think I still have an Personna Red hanging around somewhere).

No brush, or soap though. He's going to use goo from a can.

That's OK. Baby steps first.

That's super nice of you. If your friend can find a VDH set around somewhere it's not a bad way to get started for around $10 bucks! Bowl, brush and soap included. Don't know if they sell that in Canada, but he'd be setup very nicely!

He's got it totally backwards. Great razor setup but the face prep is most important of all. (Goo from a can?? :ohmy:)

He's got it totally backwards. Great razor setup but the face prep is most important of all. (Goo from a can?? :ohmy:)

I was thinking the same thing. Don't most people join this crazy hobby by first using quality soaps/creams and a brush along with their cartridge razor?

IMO, quality soaps/creams is the most important element....

IMHO face prep is the least important part once you've developed good technique, but YMMV. I gave a friend a DE, some blades and a tub of cream that I was, sadly, allergic to he's not looked back. Talking people into trying it rarely works, but give 'em the tools..

IMHO face prep is the least important part once you've developed good technique, but YMMV.
I agree that once most people are into this a while they can get a good shave with minimal prep, it's a trade off though. You have to have either very good prep or very good technique. Poor prep and poor technique gets you a bad shave. IMHO it's better to start by over doing the prep until the experience is gained.

Encourage him to pick up some Proraso or something from Shopper's. He can also find an Omega brush there and some AS. May as well try the full experience.

Just a thought, why give him a cased TV special? The razor is great for performance - but so is the next more easily replaced razor that you have lying around (newbies tend to hold on to that first razor and know little to nothing about razor care....).

Nice!
Around a month or so ago I gave one of the guys on my crew at the firehouse a '63 flare tip SS, mug, and VDH soap. As firemen do, they always made fun of my "old and stupid" morning ritual. Now the guy I gave the stuff has RAD worse than I ever did, (which resparked my disorder!) and our captian just ordered his first brush from whipped dog and the buddy is PIFing to our capt. with a '40s old style SS.
step up and testify!:w00t:

Ok, so I gave my friend the gear today.
I ask him if he wants any soap or cream, supposing that he's going to say he'll use cream from a can.
Well, he tells me that he normally doesn't use anything. Just water! :scared:
I told him that he will most likely hurt himself if he doesn't use something.

He agreed to the cream in a can.
I was scared for a minute that he might try it without any cream.

About a month ago, I let a friend borrow my R89, a TGN finest and two of my soaps......he is now hooked. He ended up keeping the brush and got an R89 Grande. Now he is making his way thru the rest of my soaps to figure out what he wants for soft goods. His dad saw he was using a DE and wanted to give it a go too, so I haven't sent my DE in about two months. Good thing I have a few awesome straights to keep me looking clean :thumbup:

But it is cool to get someone you know involved.

Ok, so I gave my friend the gear today.
I ask him if he wants any soap or cream, supposing that he's going to say he'll use cream from a can.
Well, he tells me that he normally doesn't use anything. Just water! :scared:
I told him that he will most likely hurt himself if he doesn't use something.

He agreed to the cream in a can.
I was scared for a minute that he might try it without any cream.

If he's going for canned goo at least try to talk him over to Barbisol.

Top Bottom