What's new

Passes and Direction

However, this morning I tried something new to save a little time, and to keep from having a boring shave. Normally with my throat, my first pass is WTG, N to S from the sharp edge of the real beard about halfway down, going around from left ear to right ear. Then I go S to N on the lower portion, from right ear around to left. That concludes pass 1.

Today I did the S to N portion . . . but then I re-lathered (Proraso Green cream, if it matters) and carried the N to S pass all the way up from the bottom of my throat to the beard line, right ear to left ear. That would be an ATG pass, usually my second, but today I combined pass 1 and pass 2. A rinse, a re-lather, a quick cleanup (mostly XTG) around the Adam's apple, and I was done. No, not a BBS by any means, but clean and comfortable with no nicks or irritation.

I do 3 passes: WTG, XTG, ATG
When I first switched to wet shaving, the hardest thing to get use to is to go lightly and let the weight of the razor do the work. I still need to tell myself to use the least amount of pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the razor and the blade, I will do a two or a three pass shave.

If I do three passes, I go WTG, XTG, and ATG. I will then do some touchup passes (ATG) in my tough spots to get a BBS.

If I do two passes, I go WTG and ATG. I then round out the shave with some touchup passes (ATG) in my tough spots to get a BBS.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
1st pass - Down - WTG
2nd pass - Up - ATG
3rd pass - In to Out - XTG
4th pass - Out to In - XTG
Final - Touch ups where needed (This will involve two diagonal patterns on my neck.)

Total time required 15-20 minutes.

If it's been less than two days I'll skip the WTG pass. Otherwise I'll knock most of it down with the grain, then against + touch ups. The across the grain pass doesn't really change much, so I just do two against. My stubble grows in some oddball directions, so the touch ups take a bit of time to get to BBS but it's worth it. The extra passes don't seem to cause any irritation, but considering I was using carts before and pressing quite hard to acheive the same result, it's not all that surprising I find DE razors less irritating.

Top Bottom