What's new

Passes and Direction

I generally do a two-pass shave, first with the grain, then against. Occasionally I do three passes, adding an across-the-grain.

If you do a two- or three-pass shave do you find any difference in the order of the passes? If you do a one-pass shave, which direction do you use?

I skip the with the grain pass and do one pass XTG then one pass ATG. I can’t tell any difference between the two pass shaves and the three pass shaves in terms of closeness. I can however tell the difference in how my face feels. No irritation whatsoever on two passes and very rarely a nick or weeper.

I skip the with the grain pass and do one pass XTG then one pass ATG. I can’t tell any difference between the two pass shaves and the three pass shaves in terms of closeness. I can however tell the difference in how my face feels. No irritation whatsoever on two passes and very rarely a nick or weeper.

I might give this a go and skip WTG. I’ve been doing four passes: WTG, XTG in both directions (W->E and E->W), ATG. I’ve never done them out of this order to feel a difference.

I go WTG, XTG and then ATG. Not all areas get the same treatment though. Some areas get one pass, most get two and some get three. It all depends on how sensitive the area is and what it takes to get a close shave there.

Cheeks: WTG (N>S) then ATG (S>N)

Neck: S>N then N>S, then cleanup from every appropriate point of the compass to approximate ATG buffing in the chaotic maelstrom of stubble. Beard chart reads: "Here there be monsters."

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used to only do two passes, WTG and ATG but now I have plenty of time on my hands I add an XTG in the middle. I cannot feel any difference but I enjoy it so I do it. To be honest the end result in terms of the closeness of the shave has never been important to me, DFS, BBS, or any other three random letters is fine with me.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
WTG, ATG and touchups. The more efficient razor the better because that means less wear and tear on the skin.

I do the ’classic’ 3-passes, WTG, XTG then ATG, except on my upper lip and problem areas where I go WTG, XTG, XTG (in opposite directions). Works for me! :a29:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I usually do WTG, XTG and ATG. I never skip the first WTG pass as the others would be less than comfortable with the full length hair.

But every face/beard/technique is different (blade and razor are often differet as well), so do whatever works for you. You'll find out in a hurry when something doesn't work.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My predominant* grain flow, is from my left ear to my right ear. However, I never shave in this direction. Here are the directions I go for a three pass shave...

1) Vertically: Downwards above the jaw line, and upwards below
2) Vertically: Upwards above the jawline, and downwards below
3) Mostly horizontally: Right ear to left ear (some diagonal work included)
4) "Seek and destroy" localised clean up work

*Note I said "predominantly" for my grain flow. The attached picture in the spoiler shows how erratic it really is, and the predominant grain might only account for 2/3 of the growth in any area.

I can, and often do, skip passes. On a two pass shave, I'll either skip pass two or pass three. A one pass shave will normally be just pass one, or it might be full length vertical strokes from top to bottom. If using a straight razor or open bladed shavette, I might go mainly against the grain in one pass. NONE of those will give me full clean up though, as my grain flow isn't consistent enough, and will still leave some noticeable (by feel) stubble, unless I do three passes plus clean up.

The simple reason for this, is that my grain flow looks more like a dropped jigsaw puzzle, than a neat picture of parallel growth.

img_20201025_132321_edit-jpg.1173417

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When using a DE I do three passes. First pass WTG, second pass XTG and the third pass ATG. When using a cartridge razor I normally just to 2 passes. First pass WTG and the second pass ATG. I may do an XTG pass with a cartridge razor as the blades get older.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If it’s three passes, it’s WTG/XTG/ATG. Two passes has been WTG/WTG, WTG/XTG, and WTG/ATG. One pass is ATG if I want to be happy and WTG if I want to frustrated.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I want to say that it makes no difference. I'll start against the grain sometimes just because I feel the itch to do so. Prep is important and as I pop in here from time to time I really don't hear people talking about prep much. But as I say I only pop in from time to time.

Two passes:
1st Pass - WTG- Cheeks, Under nose, Chin, ATG Neck.
2nd Pass ATG Cheeks, Under nose, Neck, XTG Chin,

I'm a one-pass shaver, though I do some buffing as I go. Direction depends on the razor. My most aggressive razors I can get by with WTG only. Some of my medium razors, I go XTG. I don't get good shaves from mild razors unless I do multiple passes, including ATG, with gives me irritation, so I haven't kept any.

I do 4 passes but ATG always last as it seems most comfortable that way. I could do a 3 pass shave but the extra XTG reversed is useful for the top lip, lower neck and chin area.

Three passes for me (N/S - E/W - W/E and S/N).... that last S/N is my 'clean up' pass. If I keep a light touch on the razor, there is usually no irritation.

Top Bottom