What's new

Pass-Around: Who wants to try a Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale?

Received this over the weekend and had my first shave with it yesterday. My shave before this was with a Piccolo for comparison. I used an Astra Platinum blade with one shave on it and a sample of Acqua di Parma soap that was in the box. After three passes plus some minor clean-up, I have to say I am impressed! Close, efficient, and no irritation. Even 12 hours later, there wasn’t much stubble to speak of. More to come!

Attachments

• Lo Storto.jpg
    Lo Storto.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
I’m in if I can. I love open comb having OC from 1905 old type to my Karv OCC daily driver. Using them now exclusively.
But I’ve never tried a Fatip or a slant and wold love the opportunity to do so.
Thank you for sharing this is what our community is really about, all of us now get to try before you buy[emoji106]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're in!

1. @polishaver
2. @Ketotrader
3. @Grundi
4. @Dean13
5. @bobmsp
6. @CJB3
7. @MTG Jr
8. @lancre
9. @ewk
10. @Adjustingtolife
11. @ED3054
12. @Gaetano <-- Current foster home.
13. @wormspank
14. @dezmil
15. @mark tidwell
16. @Ky K

Great feedback from everyone. Folks have almost universally approved of the razor. A reminder that out of the box it was prickly with sharp pointy edges at the knurling on the bottom. It would almost snag your skin so I rounded the corners slightly. So far it seems that was the only flaw.

Hello @Gaetano and @HDSledge . I have recently had an opportunity to try this razor thanks to a good friend of mine. As a result, I would like to withdraw my name and have the next person on the list receive the pass-around. Thanks for allowing me to sign up for this wonderful opportunity.

Hello @Gaetano and @HDSledge . I have recently had an opportunity to try this razor thanks to a good friend of mine. As a result, I would like to withdraw my name and have the next person on the list receive the pass-around. Thanks for allowing me to sign up for this wonderful opportunity.
You are welcome. Will take your name off the list. How about a review to add to the opinions?

1. @polishaver
2. @Ketotrader
3. @Grundi
4. @Dean13
5. @bobmsp
6. @CJB3
7. @MTG Jr
8. @lancre
9. @ewk
10. @Adjustingtolife
11. @ED3054
12. @Gaetano <-- Current foster home.
13. @dezmil
14. @mark tidwell
15. @Ky K

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the razor. To be fair though, I tested it while I was also trying out the Razorock Wunderbar and ATT S1 slant. For some reason, I ended up with more irritation using the Fatip than either of the other two. I was surprised considering the Wunderbar is said to be fairly aggressive. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't as if my face and head were turned into ground hamburger or anything. It just wasn't as smooth or efficient as the other two razors. I think it's also less smooth than the Razorock G37 (my first slant), but it is more efficient; this could be due to already owning and being familiar with the G37.

Aesthetically, it is gorgeous in my opinion, and it seems like a very solid, quality built razor. If it weren't for trying the other two razors simultaneously, I may have picked one up. But in the end, it really didn't compare for me. I must also note that it's quite a bit cheaper than both the Wunderbar and ATT S1, so for those who may not have the current funds or the desire to spend so much on a razor, I'd say give this some serious consideration.

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the razor. To be fair though, I tested it while I was also trying out the Razorock Wunderbar and ATT S1 slant. For some reason, I ended up with more irritation using the Fatip than either of the other two. I was surprised considering the Wunderbar is said to be fairly aggressive. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't as if my face and head were turned into ground hamburger or anything. It just wasn't as smooth or efficient as the other two razors. I think it's also less smooth than the Razorock G37 (my first slant), but it is more efficient; this could be due to already owning and being familiar with the G37.

Aesthetically, it is gorgeous in my opinion, and it seems like a very solid, quality built razor. If it weren't for trying the other two razors simultaneously, I may have picked one up. But in the end, it really didn't compare for me. I must also note that it's quite a bit cheaper than both the Wunderbar and ATT S1, so for those who may not have the current funds or the desire to spend so much on a razor, I'd say give this some serious consideration.
I agree that it is more beautiful than comfortable. Most reviewers like it so far but I am on the fence. I have not tried it with oil yet though. When it finally makes its' way back to me I will try that and report.

This is a good-looking, efficient shaver. I was very pleased with it! Very efficient and comfortable, but blades made a big difference. An Astra green, a blade I had written off, happened to work best. A Med Prep shaved really close, but too close to be comfortable and the alum burned like crazy. The Lord Platinum, one of my favorite blades, was also too sharp. Going back to a mild blade, I then tried a Dorco ST-300, but got some nicks and itchy irritation. I think I was too focused on chasing a BBS shave. The Dorco might have been OK if I would have just settled for three passes and skipped the clean-up. I went back to the Astra again for my last shave, and the shave itself was extremely comfortable. The result was BS with minimal clean-up and just a little warmth from the alum in certain spots. Even eight hours later my face was still very smooth.

I definitely like the il Storto better than my Merkur slant (the only one I own). I would seriously consider purchasing this one. Now if only I could try the Gentile version!

Thanks @HDSledge for letting me try this! Sanitized and shipped off to @dezmil on Thursday.

I received the razor yesterday morning and had my first shave with it yesterday and my second this morning. Here are my thoughts.

Shave 1
Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
Soap: B&M Seville
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
This is a very nice looking razor and is well balanced in the hand. I could tell right away after a couple of strokes with this razor that I would need a light touch to avoid irritation. I am used to milder razors like the Merkur 34C and Rockwell 6s. I found this to have a bit more blade feel than those. I had a nice 2-pass shave with minimal cleanup. The result was close, but I was left with slight irritation, no big deal

Shave 2
Brush: Maggard 24mm synthetic
Soap: Stirling Glacial Peach
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Had a quick shave this morning before heading out to church. I took a pinch of the Stirling Glacial Peach sample that was in the box as my soap for the day. Glacial is right. That was an amazing amount of menthol. Nice and refreshing given the current temperatures in my neck of the woods. I went with a RPL blade this time and had a great shave. It was as close as yesterday, but with less irritation, which I chalk up to just being more familiar with the razor. I expect that it will only get better as I dial it in a bit more.

I really like the way this razor looks and feels in the hand, but I think the bottom line for me is that it's just a bit too aggressive for my taste. I tried several blades, Gillette Silver Blue, Rapira Platinum Lux, Astra SP, Polsilver SI, and Perma-Sharp Super. Of these, the RPL and Polsilver were the best for me, but still left a bit of irritation.

I agree with @Gaetano the closed comb version might suit me better.

Thanks @HDSledge for the opportunity to try out this really nice razor.

I'll get it cleaned up and shipped to @mark tidwell in the next day or two.

The package arrived late last week and after 4 shaves would like to offer a few thougths. First, thanks to all who had a hand in this pass-around. Kind of you and very much appreciated. I’ve owned a handful of slants in the past (ATT S-1, Merkur 37C, a PAA version, and a Maggard’s slant head) and have passed them all along except for the Merkur. Consequently, my go with the Lo Storto turned into primarily a comparison with the 37C.

The 4 shaves were done on consecutive days (I’m a daily shaver year around) all with good to top shelf (IMO) soaps/creams (Victory Shaving, Strike Gold, Trufitt and Hill, and PAA). The blades used were two of my favorites, Wizamet and Astra Green (2 shaves with each).

I found the razor easy to maneuver and presenting no problem finding the optimum shaving angle. There is a bit of blade feel, I’d compare it to plate 4 of the Rockwell 6S/C. The resulting 3 pass shave was an easy BBS that remained smooth for approx 9 hours (for perspective, I would classify my beard as average in both coarseness and density/thickness).

Shaves 2 and 3 were basically the same as shave 1. Very close and easy to execute.

Shave 4 was a comparison shave with the 37C. I shaved one half of my face with the Fatip and the other with the Merkur. The results were similar but the Lo Storlo was a bit more efficient while also delivering a slight more blade feel. Both razors are very smooth and easy to use but there is something about the Fatip that allows it to be a tiny bit more efficient. However, I would say the difference is hardly recognizable and not a show stopper for either razor.

I love the look of the Lo Storto. The handle is a nice variation to most of our standard offerings and provides a secure grip. There is only a tiny bit of blade overhang, just enough to aid in loading the razor but not enough to cause any concern when shaving in tight spaces. I’m also a sucker for gold razors so that was a big plus.

The common critique with Fatip is blade alignment issues. I did not find any of that on this razor. In fact the top cap posts were so tight with the bottom plate that a bit of force had to be applied to get the posts to pass thorugh the holes in the bottom plate. I think that is likely just a small machining issue with this particular razor and would probably not be noticeable if I were to purchase one myself. Regardless, this issue did not impact the shave and in fact likly aided in a more precise blade alignment.

Would I purchase this razor? Yes, absolutely, if I didn’t already own the 37C. The shaves were so similar to me that I wouldn’t seek to own both, but if you do not currently own a slant and want to give it a go, I don’t see how you could go wrong with the Fatip Lo Storto.

Thanks again gents for letting me join in the pass-around. Off to you next, @Ky K.

Any updates?!? This beautiful razor deserves some attention!!

Fatip Lo Storto Originale Grande.jpg

(Yes, the picture is from Post #1, but I'm bumping the thread in a way that no one suspects that I'm bumping the thread)

Yes I communicated that the day it arrived I was hospitalized and hope to be discharged soon. I am just going to send it on and skip even trying it I want it to get home most of all.
Sucked to literally look at it as I walked out the door and open and close it once not a blade put in.
Discharged and mailed I hope this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom