What's new

Pass-Around: Who wants to try a Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale?

The razor has been cleaned, sterilized, repackaged, and shipped off to @lancre (tracking info provided by PM). Thanks for the opportunity to try the FOCS!

USPS expects do deliver on Monday. I'm looking forward to it. Since I'm currently in the "Astra SS - Then and Now" test, I think I'll pair it my Piccolo SE for a round.

Thanks.

The Fatip arrived yesterday and this morning, unsure of its aggressiveness, I loaded it with a Derby Extra and shaved at the end of my shower. I did have a to fuss a little getting the blade toy center properly. I Lathered up with PDP #63 applied with a 28mm Maggard SHD badger and went to town with my usual shallow angle. I was rewarded with a DFS+. It felt a little rough inm spots during the shave, but there wasn't any post-shave irritation. Overall, it seemed like a very competent razor.

Tomorrow a Med Prep.

Shave #2 was with a Med Prep, Semogue 730HD badger, & Nivea Sensitive shave cream.

It felt a little less rough during the shave, and resulted in a BBS-. That is to say, I could feel a slight difference in the texture of my neck in one pinky-nail sized area just below my left ear, but it didn't feel like stubble.

So far, the Lo Storto feels a lot like my Piccolo, no surprise there.

I'll load it with a Feather tomorrow and see how much blood I draw.

Last edited:
Shave #3 was with a Feather Semogue 730HD badger, & unscented Valobra soap (Thanks @polishaver).
Today's shave was even smoother than with the Med Prep, but not quite as close.

Tomorrow, I cross link with the Astra SS - Then and Now thread as I drop a 30 year old Astra SS into the Fatip.

Shave #4 was with a Astra SS (CZE), Semogue 730HD badger, & unscented Valobra soap (Thanks @polishaver).

Today's shave was a DFS+. Smooth as silk during the shave, and only a little stubble ATG. No post-shave drama.All the gear, hardware and software alike acquitted itself beautifully today.

Shave #5 was with a Astra SS (RUS), Maggard 24mm 2-band badger, & unscented Valobra soap.

Today's shave was a simple DFS. Smooth during the shave, and a little stubble ATG. No post-shave drama. Not quite as close or as smooth as with the CZE Astra, and significantly poorer than with the Med Preps.

Summary of its stay with me:
1. One razor, five blades, three brushes, two soaps.
2. All five shaves were in the DFS range. None made it to an unqualified BBS, but none were less than a DFS.
3. Looking at it, I expected the handle to be slippery when wet and soapy during the shave. Instead it was surprisingly grippable.
4. Looks - 10/10; Efficiency 7/10 (for ref. BET = 5/10, R41 = 8.5/10); Comfort 8/10; Overall 8.5/10.

After trying it, would I buy one myself? Maybe. My Piccolo has achieved similar results so I can always just use that. OTOH, my restraint over the last five years has been less than stellar. Good thing I have a wife who's also a collector.

The Fatip has been cleaned, Barbicided, and wrapped for shipment to @ewk tomorrow. I'll pm him the tracking number when I get it. I thought the choice of blades in the box was a little thin, so I threw in a tuck each of Parkers and Med Preps.

Box arrived today!!! The razor is a beautifully styled piece of functional art.

So many firsts for me; first slant, Personna med prep blade, Valobra soap.

I really enjoyed the performance of the soap. Although I did not get a creamy lather, it provided good glide and protection. I had no irritation from this shave. The light scent of the soap paired perfectly with Proraso green AS.

I expected a higher level of aggression from the slant and open comb. There is some blade feel, but a very comfortable shave. I did 3 passes plus a 4th touch up pass just so I could apply the lather again.

This sounds kind of dumb but anyone able to compare the FOCS to those vintage gillette TTO like SA and red tip?

Pretty sure most of you here have at least one vintage gillette.

I have a Slim and a 1947 Superspeed. They both have that Gillette TTO feel that I can only describe subjectively as a Gillette "rounded" smooth feel. Nice, smooth, safe, and comfortable. I am more prone to neck irritation with the Superspeed compared to the Slim for some reason.

The FaTip, after only one use, is quite similar in the end result, and seems to be providing more hours of smooth "no sandpaper" skin feel. It is comfortable and I felt safe using it. It does not have that "round" Gillette feel. Blade feel was a little less than SS and Slim at higher setting. I do not generally like open comb, but the FaTip did not feel like an OC. Pretty smooth shaver.

My two college age sons and I enjoyed using the FOCS this week. Initially intimidated by the aggressive looks of the toothy slant, we quickly overcame our fears. We each enjoyed comfortable shaves with this beautifully styled razor. The weight and balance seem perfect. The razor really feels like it should cost much more than it does. Well done.

Thank you very much for allowing us to participate. I will clean, disinfect, and prepare it for shipping to @Adjustingtolife.

My two college age sons and I enjoyed using the FOCS this week. Initially intimidated by the aggressive looks of the toothy slant, we quickly overcame our fears. We each enjoyed comfortable shaves with this beautifully styled razor. The weight and balance seem perfect. The razor really feels like it should cost much more than it does. Well done.

Thank you very much for allowing us to participate. I will clean, disinfect, and prepare it for shipping to @Adjustingtolife.
I look forward to it! Thank you

Fayiz D.

First shave:

Decided to forgo growing my beard back out and shaved with the fatip.
5 days growth was knocked down easily. I will say this was very mild. I'm used to the rex ambassador, Stirling ST/HA, merkur futur, etc. So I like a lot of blade feel. While this felt like I didn't have any blade in it, it provided a clean and smooth shave. It really felt like my PAA copper ascension in terms of smoothness but slightly less blade feel.

The blade used was a new Nacet (my go to for trying new razors).
This would be an excellent first DE or a great daily shaver for people with sensitive skin. I can shave mindlessly with this without cutting myself.

10/10 result: no cuts, nics, irritation and bbs with 3 passes plus some buffing.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Last edited:
First shave:

Decided to forgo growing my beard back out and shaved with the fatip.
5 days growth was knocked down easily. I will say this was very mild. I'm used to the rex ambassador, Stirling ST/HA, merkur futur, etc. So I like a lot of blade feel. While this felt like I didn't have any blade in it, it provided a clean and smooth shave. It really felt like my PAA copper ascension in terms of smoothness but slightly less blade feel.

The blade used was a new Nacet (my go to for trying new razors).
This would be an excellent first DE or a great daily shaver for people with sensitive skin. I can shave mindlessly with this without cutting myself.

10/10 result: no cuts, nics, irritation and bbs with 3 passes plus some buffing.
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

The PAA DOC ascension is my favorite razor! Have both Stainless and the copper, if the FOCS reminds you of it it might be my first slant! Been looking at the FOCS for some time but prefer milder razors overall. Thanks for the great review.

Second shave:
Today was a head shave. 4+ days of heavy growth. Very smooth and efficient. I prefer blade feel, especially on my head shave as it helps me find the best/most efficient angle. I did 3 passes plus buffing which lead to a comfortable bbs. Not as efficient as my go to head shaver (rex ambassador) but was slightly smoother atg.

Blade was a second use Nacet
proxy.php

Fayiz D.

Top Bottom