What's new

Pass-Around: Who wants to try a Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale?

Had my first shave with this wonderful razor today. 2 and a half days growth, took it down very efficiently. Was surprised how efficient this was and yet it did not feel aggressive. Am looking forward to another shave with this. Used a brand new personna lab blue blade... Overall, am impressed with this.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I really.enjoyed using this. Used twice and was enough for me to add to my maybe own someday list.... I dont usually shave with slants...my first slant experience was the razorock german slant and it gave me a.lot if razor burn...i think my technique was bad too back then....but i have not been attracted to slants until I recently got the parker semi slant and really liked it. This the third slant with OC that i have used. I really enjoyed this one too...

Thanks @HDSledge for sharing your razor for us to try.. This is a very popular and talked about razor...so glad I got a chance to try...Now I know it is another slant that I can maybe get aomeday

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale - Shave #1

TL;DR -
Close, smooth shave, overcame 1st-use cautions, had some irritation

Equipment: Fatip razor, KAI blade (1), Valobra soap, and GrayDog GrayWolf (synthetic) brush

Process: Showered, soaked my brush, wet face, face lathered, shaved

Results: I paired a new KAI blade with this drop-dead gorgeous razor. Having not used a slant style razor before, I was very careful to start. As I shaved, I realized that my usual technique would suffice. I got a very close, smooth shave from the Fatip/KAI combination. The Valobra lather was a little thin (first time using Valobra and don't have it dialed in) but did not impact my shave. I did have a bit of irritation on my lower neck and a few weepers.

Surprise Note: I found that the Fatip shaved around my nostrils closer than my daily shaver which was quite a nice surprise.

Soap Note: although the bag was marked "unscented", the soap has a very nice, light scent that lingers after the shave. I'm tempted to call it a very light, older barbershop/almond scent.

Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale - Shave #2

TL;DR -
Another very close shave, some but less irritation

Equipment: Fatip razor, KAI blade (2), MEM Olive cream, and GrayDog GrayWolf (synthetic) brush

Results: Pairing a KAI blade with this beautiful razor is giving me very close shaves. Like yesterday's shave, I was able to achieve a DFS+/Near BBS shave, but still had some skin irritation and a couple of weepers. Maybe my neck was still healing from yesterday, but I noticed a little bit more blade exposure than usual. With all that said, this is an excellent razor.

Technique Change: Tomorrow, I'm going to try a steep angle (comb riding) instead of my usual angle (not really cap riding but favoring an angle toward the cap).

The Day After Tomorrow: Tomorrow, I'm sticking with the KAI blade, but the Day After, I'll switch to a GSB for the last couple of shaves. Just to change things up before passing the razor on to @Dean13.

Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale - Shave #2

TL;DR -
Another very close shave, some but less irritation

Equipment: Fatip razor, KAI blade (2), MEM Olive cream, and GrayDog GrayWolf (synthetic) brush

Results: Pairing a KAI blade with this beautiful razor is giving me very close shaves. Like yesterday's shave, I was able to achieve a DFS+/Near BBS shave, but still had some skin irritation and a couple of weepers. Maybe my neck was still healing from yesterday, but I noticed a little bit more blade exposure than usual. With all that said, this is an excellent razor.

Technique Change: Tomorrow, I'm going to try a steep angle (comb riding) instead of my usual angle (not really cap riding but favoring an angle toward the cap).

The Day After Tomorrow: Tomorrow, I'm sticking with the KAI blade, but the Day After, I'll switch to a GSB for the last couple of shaves. Just to change things up before passing the razor on to @Dean13.
Try a Silver Star blade if you have some. That's a good match. Perma Sharp Super is also very good in the Fatip Slant.

Most people seem to prefer the steeper angles, though going ATG, a shallow angle is better.

Try a Silver Star blade if you have some. That's a good match. Perma Sharp Super is also very good in the Fatip Slant.

Most people seem to prefer the steeper angles, though going ATG, a shallow angle is better.
I went thru a tuck of Silver Stars a while back, liked them, but don't have any currently; and I might have some Perma Sharps hiding in my den.

This is my first time with the Fatip Slant, so I'm still learning. The razor is forgiving and hasn't torn up my face. Overall, I'm liking this razor and the closeness of the shaves.

Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale - Shave #3

TL;DR -
Changed technique to a steep angle, DFS+ shave, less irritation

Equipment: Fatip razor, KAI blade (3), Wild West Kokak soap

Results: Changed the angle of attack to a steep angle (riding the comb), and that seemed to reduce the irritation but keep the blade feel. I had to resist switching back to my usual shallower angle. I did notice on the ATG pass that my angle was naturally steep. Hmmm. Anyway, Shave #3 resulted in a wonderful, DFS+ shave with a wee bit of irritation and 2 weepers. The scent and performance of Wild West Kokak soap is excellent and lingers for a while after the final rinse.

Tomorrow: Switching out the blade to get a feel for how the razor performs with a different blade, but I'll keep the steep angle.

Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale - Final Shave

TL;DR -
Beautiful razor, close efficient shaves, now on my wish list

Equipment: Fatip razor, Gillette Silver Blue, Wild West Kokak soap

Results: The GSB paired nicely with the Fatip; didn't have a Silver Star or a Perma Sharp :( I've really enjoyed my turn with this absolutely beautiful razor. Each shave was close and efficient.

Thank You: A big Thank You to @HDSledge for doing this passaround and giving us the opportunity to try the Fatip Lo Storto Testina Originale!!

Passing It Around: Razor has been cleaned, barbicided, packed, and mailed out to @Dean13.

It took a few days to get an address and by that time it was Saturday and PO was closed. Should be there for him soon however. Apologies for the delay. Trust me it will be worth the wait :)
I am out of town, but USPS shows that the razor arrived today. I'll report back after I return home Monday evening. (I'll also make sure that I'm only holding it for the regular length of time.)

Bob

Top Bottom