What's new

Pass-Around! Two Modded GD Razors and a Pasted Balsa Strop

ran the gray one through the progression and it's now at least as sharp if not sharper then the white one. gave it a shave, I'm impressed how these razors shave,I can almost lay the spine on my face and just wipe the stubble away. they are smooth and don't want to bite. no cuts or weepers DFS border line BBS if I had time to learn them it would be BBS

Nice job sorting them back out.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
white razor-.5,.25,.1 75 laps ea. then I saw that the .1 on the pass around strop is 50% diamond instead of my 10% so WTH I did 75 laps on it then 75 leather. the shave was great ,smooth and easy.
I think I'll do a couple hundred more just to see if I can bump it up a bit.
the gray one I fixed the toe and dropped back to 10 k its tree topping again so I'll bring it up and give it a try.
the white one has a cracked scale by the pivot pin no big deal just makes the scales a bit loose.
these are nice razors you did a great job on the mods you'd never guess they were DG

Thanks for that.

I guess what I will be taking away from this is that my theory was wrong-- given the same razor, any random group of shavers using the pasted balsa for maintenance will NOT necessarily have the same results as I have. Minor disappointment but better to know than to work with an assumption that doesn't necessarily hold true. I thought that the method was straightforward enough that anyone could walk in cold and gitter done, but as individuals we have different visions and different perceptions, and different hands to do the work with. Also now I know that the 3D printed scales leave something to be desired in durability. The box has only been going around since 7th of October and a scale is already cracked. I may also have pinned them too tightly, though. Glad you liked the razors. They were both rescues from my box of failures. The defects were mostly cosmetic so I saw no harm in sharing them. After all, pretty don't shave.

Please take my name off the list. I have too much going on right now. Thanks, Slash, for doing this. Hope to be in on the next one.

No sweat, Ray. At this point I imagine there are others who will be opting out.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks for that.

I guess what I will be taking away from this is that my theory was wrong-- given the same razor, any random group of shavers using the pasted balsa for maintenance will NOT necessarily have the same results as I have. Minor disappointment but better to know than to work with an assumption that doesn't necessarily hold true. I thought that the method was straightforward enough that anyone could walk in cold and gitter done, but as individuals we have different visions and different perceptions, and different hands to do the work with. Also now I know that the 3D printed scales leave something to be desired in durability. The box has only been going around since 7th of October and a scale is already cracked. I may also have pinned them too tightly, though. Glad you liked the razors. They were both rescues from my box of failures. The defects were mostly cosmetic so I saw no harm in sharing them. After all, pretty don't shave.

No sweat, Ray. At this point I imagine there are others who will be opting out.
I still believe that if you use the Method as written, you will get exceptionally sharp and comfortable edges. I was the first to receive the pass around and the most important thing I got out the razors was the validation of my honing via the Method. I’ve never been able to get a really good edge on a knife so I’m no honing expert but I began honing with the Method and got great edges from the start because I followed the instructions without any variations. So I believe the process is consistently repeatable. With continued use, my edges have improved but by repetition not by adjustments to the process likely due to too much thinking and too much tinkering. The only thing suppressing the Method is the lack of mojo. IMHO

Thanks, Slash. I had hoped to test your method edges against mine but the razors have been through two many hands to do that. I do thank you for all your work and posts on obtaining a method edge. Your help has been instrumental in my learning the method edge. At this time, my method edges are sharper than the edges from shave ready razors that I have purchased from four well regarded vendors. That balsa strop progression puts the icing on the cake. I did everything exactly like you outlined in your threads and it worked! Now if I can get the Jnat I purchased to work as well, I’ll be very happy.

Well, I have one razor in my roll that was honed by the master of Jnats, Doc, that is a bit better than my method edges so that’s enough mojo to cover the rest of the razors. lol

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Used the white one today, 100 laps on .1u every 25 I stop go sideways on each side and turn the block 180 degrees . this razor is as sharp and keen as anything I've ever shaved with. it's smooth and easy to shave with, the only I'd like is jimps but that's just me. I'll use them both a couple more time then send them on to whomever is next. Cheers

mrlandpirate

Ok finished up my time with these razors , all in all they shave great , I was able to get DFS/BBS every shave. They are very sharp and keen , I'll strop them on 1u and disinfect before sending them out. I've put a lot of laps on the balsa but it seems to be working fine , try it as is and if you think it needs more add just a little bit . Thanks Slash for doing this it really helped me up my game on my own razors .
Also you mod a lot of GD's do you sell them?
Cheers LP

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Ok finished up my time with these razors , all in all they shave great , I was able to get DFS/BBS every shave. They are very sharp and keen , I'll strop them on 1u and disinfect before sending them out. I've put a lot of laps on the balsa but it seems to be working fine , try it as is and if you think it needs more add just a little bit . Thanks Slash for doing this it really helped me up my game on my own razors .
Also you mod a lot of GD's do you sell them?
Cheers LP

I sell very few, and only hand to hand, never online. TBH I produce very few that meet my standards and most of the "perfect" ones stay with me. I figure my time is worth at least $30/hr and there is at least 100 hours in a full blown mod. You do the math. It is not worth it to me to sell a razor for what the market will bear. It is not worth it to a potential buyer to pay me what it is worth to me. Most razor sales are online and I have been burned too many times.

I would actually like to see more members here modding their own GDs. Fancy equipment is not needed. A bench vise, belt sander, dremel, sandpaper, dial caliper, not much else. If the passaround inspires even one new modder to do a few full on mods, I will be quite pleased with that side benefit. You can see the potential, I am sure. I bring to life my own personal vision of the perfect razor, and you can do the same, if you try.

I may sell razors when I retire, but they will be made from scratch and not modded GDs. It is actually easier, in a reasonably well equipped shop, to make razors from bar stock than from already heat treated Gold Dollars.

mrlandpirate

I would actually like to see more members here modding their own GDs. Fancy equipment is not needed. A bench vise, belt sander, dremel, sandpaper, dial caliper, not much else. If the passaround inspires even one new modder to do a few full on mods, I will be quite pleased with that side benefit. You can see the potential, I am sure. I bring to life my own personal vision of the perfect razor, and you can do the same, if you try.
I have the tools so I may just have to give it a try the razors are cheap enough not to care if I mess a few up
Thanks again Slash

Had a fine shave with the white scaled razor this morning. Stropped on the balsa and followed that up with 60 laps on leather. The shave was close with no weepers. The blade was sharp, very sharp, and had a little more "bite" then my edges. The Stirling Spice delivered a bit of sting on my face and neck. All in a all, it was a good shave. I will try the gray scaled razor tomorrow morning. Glad to have this opportunity!

The gray scaled razor did its job this morning. Again, a very sharp blade with a bit of a bite. I'm going to double the stropping laps on the white one tomorrow morning.

I recently restored and honed, a 1960s Red Imp. I used Slash's film technique for the honing. It has three or four fine shaves on it. I decided to use the balsa/diamond strop on it this morning. The first shaves with this blade were excellent. Today's was even better! Very smooth and very, very sharp. Aftershave went on cold with no sting.
DSCN6172 - First Picture with Scales.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
LOL the balsa does rock a crazy edge, when properly set up and used, doesn't it? Glad it is working well for you.

I'm ordering a balsa strop and some .1 diamond paste. I've got a great slab of granite to mount it on.
Is there any difference between water suspended and oil suspended diamond paste in this application?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'm ordering a balsa strop and some .1 diamond paste. I've got a great slab of granite to mount it on.
Is there any difference between water suspended and oil suspended diamond paste in this application?

Not much, really, since you won't be leaving a coating on the balsa. The draw may be slightly different but the results should be the same.

Freshened a Wade and Butcher Warranted and a Griffon. Both were on the honing list. Neither is on that list now. I'll be posting the package to the next user on Saturday. Picked up a 3"X36"X1/2" slab of balsa on the way home this afternoon. Life is good!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
@Slash McCoy

can you add me to the list. Not sure what the current one is, but I'd be happy to try out the diamond balsa.

Sure. My internet is very shaky as it is over satellite, shared with 21 crew and 8 misc. riders right now, and no wifi, so I have to take my literally falling apart laptop from my useless desk to an unused ethernet port somewhere else during my very busy day and then carefully gather it up and take it back to my room and hope it still functions. I dont have time to maintain the list right now, so someone needs to go back to the last posted list and add everyone who has asked to be added since then. So feel free to add yourself to the list along with probably a couple more before you.

I'm sending the package out on Saturday. This is a very useful pass-around. Many, many thanks. I picked up three feet of balsa last night. The diamond paste is on its way. I tried the strop on my hardest steel this morning. A 4/8s Genco de Roma. Perfection!

Top Bottom