What's new

Pass-Around! Two Modded GD Razors and a Pasted Balsa Strop

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I've been happily using the two razors. The edges are quite comfy and sharp. Clean up is nice and easy.

My only complaint is that I find the length of the strop to be unwieldy for me. I think I would prefer 8 inches length.

@Slash McCoy I'm really impressed with the GD mods. The grey one likes to sing on the strop.

I haven't seen anyone post that they want to join the passaround, so I'll probably mail it back to you whenever you say is good.

Okay, tell you what... if nobody comes forward in the next two weeks, you keep them, or dispose of them as you see fit. I don't need them back. Maybe send them overseas. I think Ian ( @Iceman ) expressed interest. I am sure you could work something out on the shipping costs. Then the package could circulate around UK or EU.

Maybe a fresh pic or two would excite some interest.

I’d like to have a go if possible to test against the edge gained on my razor from my balsa strop. I’m in the UK.

I’m willing to pay the postage of course

Many thanks.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Is it possible to get in on this.

New rules, for now.
To be put on the list, please already have at least one straight razor and at least 10 successful shaves with it, and at least 50 posts, and a UK mail address. Put "Put Me On The List" prominently in your post.

When nobody else in the UK wants to have a go, then it goes to the first EU member that wants in, and circulates until nobody else wants to try it out. After the last EU user, well, we will figure that out, then.

Where are you located? The package is still in the U.S. but is already spoken for, by a UK member.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I'm in the US
Ah. A bit late, I'm afraid. It circulated in CONUS for over 4 months. Maybe it will make it back to CONUS some day and you can get on. Meanwhile, keep an eye on it so you don't get left out in the cold again.

Hi all, finally received the razors and strop today in the UK and looking forward to using them. Do I need to add anything to the strop, it doesn’t seem to have much paste left of it.

Attachments

• 307CCB0F-1E11-459A-B9F8-CC5F8AE3CF1C.jpeg
    307CCB0F-1E11-459A-B9F8-CC5F8AE3CF1C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hi all, finally received the razors and strop today in the UK and looking forward to using them. Do I need to add anything to the strop, it doesn’t seem to have much paste left of it.

It should seem like it has NO paste on it. Even after refreshing, there MUST NOT be a coating. Less is more. Yes, applying more will make it work faster. However, the slurry effect will absolutely tootley prevent the formation of a proper Method edge. If the previous holders were maintaining the razor correctly then 50 laps after every shave on the balsa, and normal stropping on hanging leather before shaving, will keep the edge in great shape. Test it first, beforre shaving, using the treetop test. It should top at least a couple of hairs at every pass, 1/4" above the skin of the forearm. If not, give it 50 more on the balsa. If still not, THEN add to the balsa maybe an amount the size of a BB or two at most, rub it in good, and wipe it down with a tshirt so that there is absolutely no excess.

The secret of the balsa and diamond is that the diamond particles are not free to roll around on the surface. Instead, they are deeply embedded into the balsa and only the top of the crystal stands proud of the surface. The reason pastes "do not work" or "only work for a while, then you have to take it to a stone" is because EVERYONE uses TOO MUCH. And uses leather instead of balsa. Do it according to the method and you will not regret it, I promise.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Oh, and now that the package is in the UK, all you Brits need to get your name on the list. Make sure everyone who wants to give it a go, does so, before it goes to the continent and beyond.

Yes as slash said above guys, it’s taken a long time to come over and a **** tonne of money thanks to HM revenue and customs!
Slash, can I confirm whether it’s .1 or .25 diamond paste on the strop? There’s no longer any paste in the package so I’ll top it up. The strop is very different to my iron and chromium oxide balsa so interested in the results!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Should be .1u which is the standard grit for Method edge maintenance.

If you carefully lap the balsa and apply the iron oxide sparingly in the same manner as the diamond, it actually works fairly well, though it requires at least 4x the number of laps. Again, using excess paste makes it faster, but at the same time less effective. Since this is a daily activity, it is well worth it to go with diamond. Because so little is used, the price difference is inconsequential.

Sorry, I meant I would buy some more diamond I just wanted to make sure to buy .1u
I’ll get some and make a new balsa for myself.

Top Bottom