What's new

Pass-Around! Two Modded GD Razors and a Pasted Balsa Strop

Sure. My internet is very shaky as it is over satellite, shared with 21 crew and 8 misc. riders right now, and no wifi, so I have to take my literally falling apart laptop from my useless desk to an unused ethernet port somewhere else during my very busy day and then carefully gather it up and take it back to my room and hope it still functions. I dont have time to maintain the list right now, so someone needs to go back to the last posted list and add everyone who has asked to be added since then. So feel free to add yourself to the list along with probably a couple more before you.

No worries Slash. I'll update the list.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
The list currently looks like this.

past recipients:
steveclarkus
MilkCrate
EB Newfarm
KW Driver
Sinnbad11
Animag771
Dzaw
Schinny
@mrlandpirate
@Bob L.
Still waiting their turn:
@kingfisher(has the box now)in mail
@paintflinger
I think it's like this BobL just mailed the box

The box went out this morning to Kingfisher. I refreshed a KAMA that was in my "time to work on this one" box. The balsa strop/diamond paste was all that was needed to bring it back into great shape. Had a smooth as butter shave with the KAMA this morning.

I've built my new balsa strop. Bought a 3' piece of balsa from the town's hobby shop. Glued into onto a piece of granite counter top. Just waiting for the diamond paste to arrive...

Thanks again Slash for making this pass-around available.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I’m curious to see how far these razors travel.

I think a UK member has expressed interest. Once the list is down to zero and no other CONUS members who qualify are interested in having a go at it, I would like to see the box make the rounds over there. Then maybe Europe. Whatever. This could turn into a global passaround.

So, the razors and the balsa strop arrived, perfectly packaged, in the mail yesterday. Thanks, Bob!

The razor with the gray scales appealed to me right away. Beautiful mod on this one, and I love the look of the gray scales, too. I stropped it up last night in preparation for this morning's shave. It was popping hairs on my forearm even at more than a half-inch, so I knew the edge was sharp.

When trying something new, I try to limit other variables as much as possible, so I went with my favorite soap and my favorite brush (Soapy Science and a Rubberiest 400 with a Plissoft synthetic knot, respectively) and went at it. I made a great lather, as usual with this set-up.

From the first stroke it was clear that this was a fantastic edge. Sharp I expected. I was a little worried that it would be overly sharp and feel harsh, but it did not. It felt smooth and comfortable.

The first pass went well, with good reduction. The only problem I had was that I got going a bit too fast on the neck and got a tiny area of irritation just to the left of the Adam's apple. As per my usual, I did the second pass "Chimensch style," meaning a cross-handed half WTG/half XTG approach. It was smooth as butter.

After the second pass I had a pretty good shave. I did my usual jawline clean-up with my Fatboy at 6 loaded with a Polsilver SI, and I was good to go. Just the one area of mild irritation that I got on the first pass from being careless. Otherwise, a flawless shave.

A very comfortable edge, despite the sharpness. I am impressed.

Tonight I will take it to the balsa and we'll see how the edge holds up.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Okay here is how I see it. Correct me, somebody, if I got it wrong, please. Any more curious CONUS members who qualify, get your name in now, cause this thing might be going international pretty soon and might not be back in CONUS for a while.

past recipients:
steveclarkus
MilkCrate
EB Newfarm
KW Driver
Sinnbad11
Animag771
Dzaw
Schinny
mrlandpirate
Bob L.
@kingfisher (has the box now)
@paintflinger (waiting his turn)

@kohalajohn, a Canadian member I believe, expressed interest. John, maybe get in touch with paintflinger about postage costs... shouldn't be much difference from CONUS-CONUS shipping. Once paintflinger has it, put your name on the list if you are still interested, and the passaround will officially be international and temporarily closed to CONUS applicants. You snooze, you lose. You snore, you lose more. Then maybe other Canadian members will want to have a go, and then @Ice-Man might want to try it out and then start the box going around UK and Europe.

This has been a lot of fun for me. And informative. Personally I hate jimps and find them not needed and also ugly and just plain irritating. They spook my zen somehow. But I now know that if and when I start production I will need to cut jimps in at least some of them. My production razors will sort of be fake modded GDs, in that they won't actually be made from GDs, but from O1 or maybe some other alloy steel bar stock and they will only look like genuine modded GDs. Everyone seems to like the geometry and nobody has really weighed in one way or the other on blade profile so I guess that means it is okay.

I am hoping that this passaround will create some more interest in modding Gold Dollars, actually. The GD66 is such an everyman razor, with it's big chunky geometry, crude grinding, good steel, and rock bottom price.

Slash doesn’t, some do.

I like the feel of them when done properly. They add a subliminal sense of security and confidence with the improved grip, a better, more positive engagement on the gripping surface, which can translate to a lighter grip and more deft handling, with less thought given to it.

Slash’s tangs stood out to me initially as being almost slippery because of how well and deeply polished they were on a thin, reducing dimension tang to the blade. Second shave I had then dialed in, but they stood out fron the norm a bit at first

So this morning was my second shave with the modded Gold Dollar.

I took the razor to the diamond-pasted balsa last night. I was anticipating it would difficult or arduous, but it was quite simple. The balsa is 3 inches wide, making the stropping simple. I did 50 laps. It took maybe two minutes, at most. Then I wiped down the blade and stropped it about 90 laps on leather.

This morning I lathered up Soapy Science in Doc's Special Blend and went at it. The edge was once again extremely sharp and rather smooth, blasting through even tough patches without any problem at all. If anything, it seemed that it was even sharper than it was yesterday! I was more careful on the low neck and around the Adam's apple, and it went well.

My first pass was much faster than usual, probably because this edge doesn't slow down for anything.

I was going to do a Chimensch second pass like I usually do, but reduction on pass 1 was so good that I thought a Chimensch pass wouldn't really accomplish anything. I felt more stubble rubbing nose-to-ear. So I did the second pass almost a direct XTG from nose-to-ear, but just a bit of a combination between XTG and WTG. Since this isn't my usual second pass, I slowed down and took my time. It went well.

I had only a bit of clean-up on the jawline and anterior neck, which I did with the Fatboy set at 6.

End result? Smooth and comfortable. No weepers and no irritation.

A winner, for sure.

So, am I sold on this balsa method? Not yet, but it wouldn't take much for me to become a believer. I am going to stick with the same razor every day for a while; if the edge doesn't dull at all in a week or more of shaves, I'm going to say that I have become a believer!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
About jimps what KWDriver said the razors felt slippery because of the polish and scales slightly over balanced the blade. Jimps or a thumb notch would help that. They were both fine shaving razors but I think I like the gray one best , it's slightly larger and I like bigger blades. Last thing if you want more people to join maybe post a picture of the razors so they can see what we're working with. Thanks again Slash and put me on your list if or when you offer some for sale

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
About jimps what KWDriver said the razors felt slippery because of the polish and scales slightly over balanced the blade. Jimps or a thumb notch would help that. They were both fine shaving razors but I think I like the gray one best , it's slightly larger and I like bigger blades. Last thing if you want more people to join maybe post a picture of the razors so they can see what we're working with. Thanks again Slash and put me on your list if or when you offer some for sale

Thanks for the comments! The scales were actually the experimental product of a 3D printing kick I was on for a while. I hadn't got the thickness right just yet. They were in the junk box along with the razors so they just sort of reached out to each other. I did post pics in the first part of the thread, I think. Don't remember and web surfing takes forever over this slow satellite internet connection.

One of the razors is full length, and the other is a shorty, cut back due to breakage. I do that a lot. If I break one during the modding, sometimes I just make it a shorty and give it away.

It will be a while before I have any to sell, and it will be even longer before I am selling any online. I hate selling razors online. But the good news is the slab (mk II, city didn't like the first one) is now poured for the shop. I may eventually set up a store on B&B, if I have enough production and potential sales volume to justify the rather considerable expense. Anyway it looks like it will be at least a couple of years before any internet sales. I have a few hand to hand buyers waiting already, and no razors to give them. Did I mention I hate selling razors online?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I may have to do another passaround. 1u film, and three balsa strops at .5u, .25u, and .1u, so any experienced honer can create a method edge on one of his own razors already honed as well as his current methods and equipment allow.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Well, I replied to this once with great difficulty and accidentally posted a mangled duplicate of the post, tried to delete it and both posts deleted. Have I ever mentioned I hate satellite internet? Anyway the reason for them being different size is one got broke or cracked and became a shorty. Often when I break or chip the nose or heel I make it a shorty and give it away. The scales were the experimental product of a 3D printing kick and I never got around to fine tuning the thickness properly. Those would not go on any production razor. The good news is the slab for my shop is poured. The bad news is it will still be a couple years before I have any razors to sell online and I hate selling razors online anyway. If I do, and I have enough production and potential sales to justify the expense, I may set up a store on B&B. As always, thanks for the comments. Oh and I think I did post pics, in the first couple of posts.

Top Bottom