What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - Today's Your Lucky Seven Day

Henson+++
Gillette 7 O'clock Permasharp(7)
Had a fantastic shave today. I am 90% bbs after 3 passes. If I were in a pinch, I could probably make this blade last for a couple more shaves. But I'm not so into the bin it goes. Looking forward to the next round of blades in a different razor.

Razor- Gillette Fat Boy 4-5-6
Blade- Gillette 7 O'clock blade 1 shaves 6&7
Two more nice shaves with this blade. BBS and DFS respectfully. Really like this blade but time to try one of the other blades in this pif. New week new gear.

I measured the Treet 7 Days Platinum blade this evening as well, and posted the photos and analysis in my Blade Sharpness thread.

Information Summary:

Date6/21/146/21/146/21/146/21/146/21/14
BladeTreet 7 Days

Shaves0P3P6P9P12
LocationBottom CenterBottom CenterBottom CenterBottom CenterBottom Center
MediumStren 8Stren 8Stren 8Stren 8Stren 8
Dulling SubstrateNewStpl Ppr Rubr PushStpl Ppr Rubr PushStpl Ppr Rubr PushStpl Ppr Rubr Push
Measurements3030303030
Std. Dev.61091113
Median F (g)7069818487
Mean F (g)6970828588

Sharpness and durability are both reasonably good. Better than the Gillette 7 O'Clock, but not as good as the 7AM. I have no doubt I could get 7 decent shaves out of one of these blades.

I tried out the Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless India in my Fatip open slant today.

1000007065.jpg

1000007066.jpg

1000006989.jpg

The thin razor handle was too slippery. I stopped mid shave and tried a DSC Roman Column Titanium handle, but the long male part of the Fatip was too long for the female part. A theme that keeps affecting me. So I tried the handle from another Fatip. It was better, but still really slippery. I will have to find a better handle for these when everything isn't wet and soapy.

The blade itself did as as well as it could for a reasonably sharp blade with a nice.even scratch pattern. It felt great and cut well. The poor durability I measured during sharpness testing doesn't really effect the first shave.

I used my own blend of soaps With a new Yaqi Special Offer Defect.Tuxedo brush. Soap was a bit airy, but was slippery and performed well. Liveben bowl is another favorite.

AV musk splash is a favorite. It blends well with my soap and the Amouage Reflection 45 Man fragrance I am wearing.

Gillette Permasharp 7 o’ clock blade #1, shave #3

paired it today with my mild RR GC .68P. But today was ‘t a very good shave. Not sure if it was me and the preparation, or the blade (in this razor). Will give it a 4th try in another razor, let’s see if the experience improves. If not, then it is time for the bin.

Razor: 1940s Gillette SuperSpeed
Blade: Treet 7 Days Platinum
Soap: Dr. Jon's Hydra
Brush: Jayaruh JR417 badger
Aftershave: Humphrey's Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

1st pass XTG, 2nd ATG. Smooth & comfy during the shave.
The final result was right on the BBS/DFS border with no drama.

Treet 7 day platinum (Pakistan) Blade One, Shave #3

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: ShaveMac beagle 2-band (bulb)
Soap: Fine lavender pour homme
Splash: Fine lavender pour homme

Comment: Close, comfortable shave just short of BBS (9.5/10)!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

This blade may be seriously underrated, but need a some more shaves for a final determination.

Lucky Seven - Durablade 7am - Shave #2

TL;DR -
Another very good, similar to shave #1, BBS-

Equipment: SCS Mod A razor, L7 Durablade 7am Blade (2), PdP Bergamot & Thyme Soap, DSC T4 Brush, CC Ceramic Bowl

On To The Shave: This pairing, the SCS Mod A with the Durablade 7am, produced a wonderfully close, BBS-, shave. PdP B&T is a great soap (that I wanted to throw into the mix as a comparison to AB Mogno). It's my hope to get several more shaves from this blade.

Razor- Parker Soloedge
Blade- Durablade 7am blade 1 edge 1 shave 1
Soap- Smooth Suds
Brush- APLuxury 24mm knot / Boti handle
Aftershave- Gillette cool wave
Shave started out a little rough. New to me brush, razor and blade didn't help matters. To much water made for airy non slick lather. Angle for razor wasn't intuitive as I first thought. Blade felt tuggy at times (was having AFM challenge flash backs). By the third pass I made new lather and figured out razor angle. Blade didn't feel so tuggy after that. Ended up with a decent dfs.
PXL_20240623_015857271.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Quick shave for church.

1000007159.jpg

Gillette 7 O'Clock (2). This blade is fine, but I am definitely not going to run out and buy a box of them.

Fatip open slant on a Gillette Old handle. I found both of my Fatip handles to be far to slippery for proper usability despite being really beautiful. I also found that my DSC, Razorock, and Razor Emporium handles are not inter-compatible with them. Apparently they have a slightly smaller M4.5x0.75 thread rather than the standard M5x1 thread. The M5 ones work with old Standard thread, but not quite with Fatip. The thread on the Gillette Old must be short and loose enough to be workable. I read that Merkur also works, but I didn't try it. Due to the cracked tube on my Gillette handle, I have to work the nut, which is annoying. I will probably put a Razor Emporium tube on the handle and send it off to BRG for plating at some point. The Fatip open slant head is pretty mild and pretty efficient. It looks glorious. I don't have any alignment issues. I just shove the top cap toward one short side while tightening, which results in uneven tab alignment and even edge alignment. Easy to do. Zero issues. This is not even 1 second of extra effort.

The Dollar Tree gel is super watery, so I put it right on my unprepared and dry face. This worked better than a hot splash as my dry face soaked up some of the gel. This gel goes fast, and when it is gone, it is not getting replaced. The Dollar Tree balm is actually really nice. I could see myself buying it again at its incredibly low price, but I have a huge collection of after shaves, so I won't need any for a long time either way. I just bought this for the $1.25 A Few Brave Men challenge.

Hermes Terre D’Hermes Parfum (2009) fragrance. A nice woody chypre. Warm citrus of orange and grapefruit blends well with the oakmoss and wood, including pine. The notes say there is some flint in the middle. If I am getting that, it is subtle. This is perfectly balanced and pleasant, but I prefer the vetiver fragrances in this line, that is, the EDT and the eau intense vetiver. It is probably just a personal preference. I will use up this sample, but it isn't something I would buy a full bottle of.

8/10. Pleasant and easy DFS with no skin damage. This razor is actually less aggressive than what I wanted and expected, but I like it.

Shave #1 - Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless (Indian Greens)
DSCosmetic AX-SE Plate 1
Pear's Mint

Well, my PIF blades never did arrive, but it's not a big deal. I already had 2 of the 3 in my stash, and the third was easily purchased from Jeff's store, so no worries. The Indian Green was one I already had. I bought a lot of 1000 blades back in January/February from an eBay seller for around 7.5 cents apiece. I shaved with one blade twice out of curiosity, enough to decide it was a good purchase but I put the rest away until now.

The first shave from a fresh blade is outstanding. It's one of the sharpest blades in my stable, so sharp and quiet in the AX-SE that I thought I wasn't making contact with my whiskers at the correct angle to cut. But the whiskers definitely were flying off effortlessly. I finished my single pass and running my hand over my face decided no touch-ups or buffing was needed.

A+ stuff here and I am glad have a big hoard of the Indian Greens. It's funny how blade preference is so up to the individual. For me, this is a top blade and it's cheap enough to feel no qualms about tossing them whenever one feels it's right. There is some evidence that the blade dulls quickly but that's true also of the Treet Durasharp and I recently celebrated a 19th good quality shave on the blade I used exclusively in the One Blade in February Challenge, so I'll see how long this one lasts. I'll use it all this week and will tally at least 4-5 shaves.

Have a great shave yourself!

7oclockpermasharp2.jpg

Last edited:
Shave #1 - Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless (Indian Greens)
DSCosmetic AX-SE Plate 1
Pear's Mint

Well, my PIF blades never did arrive, but it's not a big deal. I already had 2 of the 3 in my stash, and the third was easily purchased from Jeff's store, so no worries. The Indian Green was one I already had. I bought a lot of 1000 blades back in January/February from an eBay seller for around 7.5 cents apiece. I shaved with one blade twice out of curiosity, enough to decide it was a good purchase but I put the rest away until now.

The first shave from a fresh blade is outstanding. It's one of the sharpest blades in my stable, so sharp and quiet in the AX-SE that I thought I wasn't making contact with my whiskers at the correct angle to cut. But the whiskers definitely were flying off effortlessly. I finished my single pass and running my hand over my face decided no touch-ups or buffing was needed.

A+ stuff here and I am glad have a big hoard of the Indian Greens. It's funny how blade preference is so up to the individual. For me, this is a top blade and it's cheap enough to feel no qualms about tossing them whenever one feels it's right. There is some evidence that the blade dulls quickly but that's true also of the Treet Durasharp and I recently celebrated a 19th good quality shave on the blade I used exclusively in the One Blade in February Challenge, so I'll see how long this one lasts. I'll use it all this week and will tally at least 4-5 shaves.

Have a great shave yourself!

View attachment 1867028
It is fairly sharp. It definitely isn't durable, but that is relative to blades that barely change in 10 shaves on my face. I would think it should be good for several shaves on most faces. My second shave with it today was consistent with your experience of barely any blade feel, but I could tell it wasn't a Feather in terms of removing stubble easily.

Microscopic inspection of the blade at the end of the 12 paper strip durability test showed the edge had indeed smoothed out, with lots of the scratch pattern worn off and few chips along the edge. It is a soft and resilient steel. Most blades this dull would be all chipped up and far less smooth.

I suspect the smoothness agrees with you more than anything else. If you aren't taking it past the equivalent of 2-3 shaves on my beard, then I doubt the durability is having much negative impact.

1000007160.jpg

Std. Dev. 16, very high, lots of differences as you move from one end of the edge to the other.

Median F(g) 54.5, very very sharp.

Mean F(g) 59, very sharp, 8.5% less than when new.

So after 2 shaves, with the coating worn, we see increased sharpness, but we also see significant deterioration of the metal, indicated by the std. Dev. And the lack of central tendency with the gap from median to mean.

Since the edge is maleable and smooth, it should feel good and do a decent 2 or 3 pass shave, and it does.

I will use this one again tomorrow. I can see how you might prefer it to a harder, more durable blade that chips more as it wears. I agree it feels butter smooth and there is no disputing that it is very sharp after 2 shaves. But it isn't one I will buy again.

As you say, this is all very subjective. For me, that means good results on my sensitive and coarse and dense mustache, my wiry and loose neck, and my tough and dense chin. Everything is fine on my cheeks. I don't mind feeling the blade as long as it cuts well without tearing up my skin.

Great shaves to you as well!

7 Days, Edge 1 Shave 4

Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor; Cella red; YaQi Sagrada Familia 24mm tuxedo

Back to 48-hour shaves (this shave is actually from yesterday, but I didn't get round to writing it up). Sticking with the Cella as I need to 3017 it.

Here's the 7 Days I was expecting! Maybe a fraction less smooth than its first shave, but still smoother than either of the other two blades on even their first shaves. Comfortable, close, and with no damage anywhere.

Razor: 1940s Gillette BET
Blade: 7am Plus Platinum
Soap: Nivea Men Shaving cream
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Aftershave: Humphrey's Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

1st pass XTG, 2nd ATG. Smooth & comfy during the shave, leading me to believe I was getting a BBS.
Sadly, that wasn't true, the final result was DFS+ with no drama.

Top Bottom