SOTD #236/2021
21-09-2021

>> STIRLING SOAPTEMBER<<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Frozen Tundra
Razor: Karve CB Stainless Steel SB-F
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (10)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Pitralon Classic AS, Nivea Sensitive asb.

Blade 4 - shave 10

Two passes, dfs. My 10th shave with blade no. 4 was a rather mediocre one, since I experienced some tugging atg and ended up with a tad of irritation on my neck. I was in a rush this morning, so maybe I did not tread the lather well enough to provide perfect cushion and glide. Or blade no. 4 is fading. Maybe a combination of both.
Onward to shave no. 11, though.

Happy shaves, y'all!

Blade #1, Shave #6

Today I used Saponificio Varesino, something I haven't used in quite a while (don't have enough soap to rotate...).

The lather was absolutely astonishing. Did a three pass shave with the fabulois Blackland Blackbird in Titanium. I really enjoy that razor quite a bit. It so efficient and smooth at the same when used with a light touch.

I still palm strop my blade 6 time on each side before and after the shave.

Blade felt smooth and almost like a new one.

Cannot wait to see how many shave I'll get with one single Blade.

As always SV splash feel incredible, very soothing and refreshing with an excellent scent.

My only very little complaint is the EdP. The first few minutes I get kind of a lemon pledge vibe that feel synthetic. But it quickly change into the outstanding scent that you have with the 70th soap and splash.

Have a nice one everyone.

Attachments

• 20210922_120940.jpg
    20210922_120940.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
proxy.php

Nineteenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Another fine shave.

No issues again with the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless pairing. All of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable, leaving me with an easy BBS. There was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB or lotion was required.

Basically, this has been the pattern for more than a week. As I've mentioned many times, this blade has been incredibly consistent.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
proxy.php

Nineteenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Another fine shave.

No issues again with the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless pairing. All of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable, leaving me with an easy BBS. There was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB or lotion was required.

Basically, this has been the pattern for more than a week. As I've mentioned many times, this blade has been incredibly consistent.
I appreciate your posts on these blades. Kinda makes me think they don't make 'em like they used to!

Guys... I'm sorry. I haven't been posting because of crazy stuff with our employment situation. Honestly though, I don't even know what shave I'm on (I lost count). It's at least shave 20 (still blade 0.) I don't even use any other DE blade right now. I just keep putting this one in a razor and off I go. I do use other razors but they aren't DE types. This blade will probably make it into the 40s. Absolutely outstanding if you ask me.

First shave with the 2nd Polsilver in the PIF tuck. Razor was a US-made pre-WW2 Tech. Soap was a Muhle aloe stick, face lathered. AS was Thayers cuke toner.

Pleasant experience with no nicks, irritation or other hiccups. The blade worked smoothly and did the job, as the 1st blade in the tuck did. But, again like the 1st blade in the tuck, it could have been sharper. The shave ultimately was DFS+, but it took more strokes and more time than is ideal.

2nd shave tomorrow.

proxy.php

Twentieth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

A nice, close shave, as usual.

Another lovely shave from the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo. All three passes were quick and comfortable.

Oddly, though, I had to do some extra work under my bottom lip again. A few buffing strokes solved it, but it's odd because I've never had problems in this area before. This also occurred on September 18, so it's becoming a trend rather than just being an anomaly. Do beard patterns evolve as we age? Otherwise, I don't have an explanation as to why I now have to shave this area differently than before.

Anyway, it was still a great shave, today. No post-shave irritation. No complaints whatsoever.

Last night, I had shave #21 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap (in the wooden bowl), again. This time, the lather was just about how I usually like it. There was the usual good slickness and the cushion was even better than the last shave's. I also felt the blade a little less than with my previous shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I took the soap out of the tub and placed it upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl, where I poured just enough water just to reach a bit above the edge of the grooves in the bottom of the bowl.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I placed I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl. I then began to swirl my brush in the bowl while slowly adding the bloom water back into my shave bowl to make my lather.

After I got my lather to where I wanted it, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before my first lather pass. I repeated this step before my second pass and one more time before buffing my usualtough spots.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Afterward, I cleaned up with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva) and aftershave balm (Duke Cannon Ice Cold After-Shave Balm). I felt just the most minor stinging from the alum block. I felt practically no sting from the alcohol in the splash, but since the evening was so hot, I enjoyed the cooling effects of the menthol in both the splash and the balm.

Based on this shave, I think I may be able to get some more shaves out of this blade. Still, I did feel feel the blade a little more than expected and the shave was a little less comfortable than expected with my lather. I wonder of this means the blade is starting to wear down.

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100.

Blade 2, shave #4
This blade hasn’t worked for me at all BUT I changed the razor today. I use a 1.55 WR2 almost exclusively MWF for my shaving. This combo has not been friendly at all. The other day I decided I was going to change the razor to see how a very gentle (to me) razor was with this blade.
Changing to the GC .84 has completely changed my shave with this blade. Smooth, fast shave with very little burn. I’d rate this a 9/10. It’s good for this razor but I don’t always use this razor and others work just was well in this one and my other razors.
Another good lesson for me.

20210923_084837-01.jpeg
SOTD #237/2021
24-09-2021

>> STIRLING SOAPTEMBER<<

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band finest badger butterscotch
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Tuscany
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (11)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Nivea Cool Sensitive asb.

Blade 4 - shave 11

Three passes today, bbs on the face, dfs on the neck. Shave 11 with blade no. 4 was nice. Though the blade's sharpness clearly is fading, the passes were super smooth and still efficient enough to end up with a good result. The Rocca and the Polsilver Stainless are a pair made by heaven.

So I'll complete the dozen. Onward to shave no. 12.

Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
First shave with the 2nd Polsilver in the PIF tuck. Razor was a US-made pre-WW2 Tech. Soap was a Muhle aloe stick, face lathered. AS was Thayers cuke toner.

Pleasant experience with no nicks, irritation or other hiccups. The blade worked smoothly and did the job, as the 1st blade in the tuck did. But, again like the 1st blade in the tuck, it could have been sharper. The shave ultimately was DFS+, but it took more strokes and more time than is ideal.

2nd shave tomorrow.

Second shave with a Polsilver this am. Same razor as the 1st shave yesterday, but Palmolive Classic cream and Wahl 1919 AS balm.

As almost always happens, the 2nd shave with this blade was closer and more efficient than the 1st. I still miss the sharpness and ease of a KAI or a GSB, but, if these blades were still available, and if this am’s experience with them were typical, I’d be happy with them in the right razor.

My pre-WW2 Tech, used this am, and my FOCS, used a few weeks ago, are both good matches for this blade. The FOCS may win by a nose. My Tatara Masamune likes a sharper blade.

More reports to come.

proxy.php

Twenty-first shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

Another quick, comfortable shave.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo is still providing smooth, efficient shaves with no signs of roughness or tugging, yet. My three usual passes were completely trouble-free.

Of note, I did not have to buff in the customary spot (along the left jawline) or the new spot (below the bottom lip). There was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required.

Basically, I've been getting the same results every day for the last two weeks. That's quite remarkable for such a well-used blade

proxy.php

Twenty-second shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Stout 24mm Angel Hair
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo hasn't missed a beat in the past two weeks. All three of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable. The ATG and XTG passes are still trouble-free. I did not have to buff, today. There was no post-shave irritation.

Meanwhile, the Fine Stout/Tabac (Non-Tallow) combination was superb. I've been going back and forth between the tallow and non-tallow versions for one month and I've become thoroughly familiar with new formula's properties.

At first, I felt that there were some significant differences. Some were obvious, such as the colour and scent of the dry puck. However, in use, those differences have proved to be very subtle. Other than requiring more water, I've found that the non-tallow version is quite faithful to the previous tallowed version. Performance is still top-notch, the scent is identical when lathered, and I can't detect any post-shave differences.

It seems that Mäurer and Wirtz actually knew what they were doing!

Last night, I had shave #22 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap (in the wooden bowl), again. This time, the lather was a little too dry, at least for my first pass. I added more water and got my lather how i liked it for the second pass. Unfortunately, since the first pass was so dry, my blade skipped a bit on my neck and I accidentally nicked myself. With a wetter lather on the second pass, I pretty much didn't feel the blade.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I took the soap out of the tub and placed it upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl, where I poured just enough water just to reach a bit above the edge of the grooves in the bottom of the bowl.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I placed I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl. I then began to swirl my brush in the bowl while slowly adding the bloom water back into my shave bowl to make my lather.

Thinking my lather was good to go, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before my first lather pass. I repeated this step before my second pass and one more time before buffing my usual tough spots. Before my second lather pass, however, I dipped the tips of my brush into my bloom water and whipped my lather again. This time, I made a much better lather.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Although I wound up buffing my usual trouble spots, I'm not sure it was necessary as I'm not sure I felt any stray stubble after my second pass.

In any case, I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva) and aftershave balm (Duke Cannon Ice Cold After-Shave Balm). Aside from the bite of the alum block where I nicked myself on the neck, I felt just the most minor sting from the alum block. Again, I felt practically no sting from the alcohol in the splash. That said, I once more enjoyed the cooling effects of the menthol in both the splash and the balm on the hot evening.

While I was concerned the blade might be starting to wear down after my last shave, I think I may be able to get some more shaves out of this blade. I'm pretty sure I can finish out this month (likely with two more shaves) on this blade. I'm all but certain I can also reach shave #25 with this blade to ring in the next month. Of course, if I start getting rough shaves, I will dispose of this blade and go back to blade #1, which I removed from my travel kit.

All in all, I would give this shave a 97/100.

On an aside, I woke up and licked my lips. I wound up tasting some dried Aqua Velva. I kind of liked it. Am I weird for liking how dried Aqua Velva tasted? 😁

Attachments

• 64E0481A-1EDC-4FF8-ADE2-A5E27FA76552.jpeg
    64E0481A-1EDC-4FF8-ADE2-A5E27FA76552.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
20210926_094509-01.jpeg
SOTD #238/2021
25-09-2021

>> STIRLING SOAPTEMBER<<

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 26mm
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (12)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man AS

Blade 4 - shave 12

Catching up with yesterday's shave. Three passes, bbs after some touchups. Very nice. Onward to shave no. 13.

Happy shaves, y'all!

20210925_091101-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #239/2021
26-09-2021

>> STIRLING SOAPTEMBER<<

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 26mm
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ South Padre
Razor: Henson Shaving AL 13 medium
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (13)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS and witch hazel.

Blade 4 - shave 13
Another nice and dramafree smooth shave. Almost bbs on the entire face and neck. The Henson did a perfect job with this blade. Loved the combination.

Onward to shave no. 14.

Enjoy your Sunday, y'all!

Top Bottom