What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

proxy.php

Fourteenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble Silvertip Badger
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

More excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

The Polsilver Stainless blade still feels very smooth. I've been watching for any roughness or tugging during the ATG pass, but none has appeared, yet. With the previous blade, the shave quality didn't decline significantly until I had reached almost 40 shaves, so I'm not really expecting any problems for such a "young" blade.

Meanwhile, as noted, today's shave was excellent. All of my passes were quick and comfortable. I did not have to buff, today. As usual, there was no post-shave irritation.

(The consistency is remarkable. I could have just copied and pasted what I wrote yesterday or even the week before! 😁 )

Last night, I had shave #18 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Ariana & Evans's Peach & Cognac (Kaizen base) soap for the fourth time. The lather was thicker than any of the previous times. It felt much more cushioned and the slickness was good (about on par with Captain's Choice, which has become my gold standard).

I finally got a shave with the A&E P&C soap where I didn't feel the blade. In fact, it was so good, I got careless and nicked an unnoticed pimple on my initial pass. Aside from that, the shave was fantastic!

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I soaked an almond sized piece of A&E's P&C in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl before the shave (I dumped the soapy water into an empty cup and applied a little of the soapy water to my face before each lather pass). I squeezed my brush dry before making lather and applied the leftover soapy water to the lather as needed.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Afterward, I cleaned up with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Korres Saffron Spices. I felt some minor stinging from the alum block, including on the spot where I nicked myself. The alcohol in the splash didn't hit me anywhere near as hard this time as it did with my last shave. Instead, I just got a light stinging sensation.

When I woke up today, there was a pleasant aroma in my room, again. I am really loving how the Stirling Spice and the Korres Saffron Spice work so well with the P&C. 🙂

All in all, I would give this shave a 97.5/100.

proxy.php

Fifteenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Simpson S1 Special Best Badger
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Another fine shave from the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless combo.

All three passes were smooth and comfortable. Both the ATG and XTG passes went by in the blink of an eye. I had to buff lightly under my bottom lip for some reason, today; those hairs just didn't want to cooperate for some reason! Otherwise, a quick, trouble-free shave with no post-shave irritation.

On a side note... I've compared my notes for my previous Polsilver Stainless blade and this current blade. Interestingly, it seems like this second blade has been performing better (i.e. consistently smoother, lower effort, higher efficiency) than the first one over their first fifteen uses, respectively.

As you know, my first blade was very consistent and long-lived. So, if the current blade can maintain this level of consistency over the long haul, it's possible that I could surpass the 50-shave mark of the first blade with ease.

Will I try it? Probably not. But, it's food for thought.

Blade #1, Shave #4

That one just an OK shave, nothing more... If not less then that...

No fault to the blade here. I just made one of the worst lather in recent years. It was TERRIBLE. So much so that I was thinking to myself to start a thread to ask others if they happened to have a soap base that performed wonderfully in the beginning but started to produce weaker lather then it was previously when the soap get older.

It was so much mind bogging to me that I decided to change my lathering bowl (took my Captain's Choice Copper bowl instead of my Roger Quinn 3D printed bowl) and scoop some soap to try to lather it to see if I was gonna have the same result. It did produce quite a nice lather I must admit.

So I'm left with the question, is it simply the lathering bowl that made the difference or I just made a terrible mistake when lathering the first time and I just didn't know what error I made? Further investigation will have to be done!

It's kind of frustrating to spend one shave of these precious blade because a horrendous lather... I consider my lather to be superb more then 99% of the time. Having one that much bad was disappointing to day the least.

Next one will be a great one, I'll make everything for it to be that way.

Thanks everyone and have a tremendous shave, like my next one will be!

Regards!

Attachments

• 20210918_161322.jpg
    20210918_161322.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
Blade #1, Shave #4

That one just an OK shave, nothing more... If not less then that...

No fault to the blade here. I just made one of the worst lather in recent years. It was TERRIBLE. So much so that I was thinking to myself to start a thread to ask others if they happened to have a soap base that performed wonderfully in the beginning but started to produce weaker lather then it was previously when the soap get older.

It was so much mind bogging to me that I decided to change my lathering bowl (took my Captain's Choice Copper bowl instead of my Roger Quinn 3D printed bowl) and scoop some soap to try to lather it to see if I was gonna have the same result. It did produce quite a nice lather I must admit.

So I'm left with the question, is it simply the lathering bowl that made the difference or I just made a terrible mistake when lathering the first time and I just didn't know what error I made? Further investigation will have to be done!

It's kind of frustrating to spend one shave of these precious blade because a horrendous lather... I consider my lather to be superb more then 99% of the time. Having one that much bad was disappointing to day the least.

Next one will be a great one, I'll make everything for it to be that way.

Thanks everyone and have a tremendous shave, like my next one will be!

Regards!
Can't go wrong with the Captain! 🙂

20210918_191912-01.jpeg
SOTD #235/2021
19-09-2021

>> STIRLING SOAPTEMBER<<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: WCS Two Tone Tall Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Margaritas in the arctic
Razor: Henson Shaving AL 13 medium
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (8)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Nivea After Shave Fluid.

Blade 4 - Shave 8

First outing of the Henson Shaving AL 13 matched with the Polsilver Stainless. A shave that could not have been easier, I hardly could feel the blade. 3 passes later, my face was BBS again, excellent.

I like my new Henson. With hardly any other razor I can shave so nimbly/speedy without even being in danger of cutting myself. The face feel with this razor is quite unique because the blade gets locked that firmly. I like that feature, it's unique to some extent.

Onward to shave no. 9!

Enjoy your Sunday, y'all!

IMG_20210917_094450.jpg

My WTG pass was mostly done with blade #1 for it's 15th outing. Once again in this razor there was quite a bit of resistance, I.e. tugging. While it performed faultlessly in my timeless for shaves 13 and 14. I switched out blades mid pass. What a difference. So very smooth. I still need to learn this razor, but, given that it improved with a new blade, I don't think my difficulties lay only on technique. It certainty played a part though. Either way blade #2 shave 1 resulted in a CCS.

Blade #1, Shave #5

This one was a lot better shave then yesterday!
That being said, it wasn't as great as to my liking. I've used a badger brush today, something I haven't used in month's. And I'm truly on the fence on really disliking them. I've used a Maggard's 26 mm SHD. Used twice the amount of soap I'd used with a synthetic, and the lather was really poor. Havent used them in quite some month. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or not, but I'm trully thinking about selling all of my badger brush at this point.

That being said, it was still a good shave with the Timeless Aluminun version. Blade was incredible with my two pass shave!

Blade was stroped 6 times before the shave and for the 5th shave, it was an incredible one. I'm thrilled to see how much shave I could have with it. I'll try to used it as much as it would still being great!

Have a nice one gents!

Attachments

• 20210919_171415.jpg
    20210919_171415.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
proxy.php

Sixteenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 26mm Two-Band Badger
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

Have I mentioned yet that these Polsilver Stainless blades are half-decent?

Yup, I've enjoyed one amazingly smooth and comfortable shave after another and it's still plugging along. To be honest, it's getting kind of boring. I'm almost hoping for a really terrible shave, just to break the monotony! 😜

Seriously, though, this blade has been extremely consistent. The last half-dozen shaves have been pretty much the same, in terms of shave quality. All have been quick and trouble-free. Efficiency and closeness have been top-notch. There has been no post-shave irritation.

You know, if I tried to go for 50 shaves on this blade, then I think that I'd have an easier time than on the last blade. I'm already 1/3 of the way there. Hmm... 🤔

Last night, I had shave #19 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap (in the wooden bowl). It's been a while since I used this soap. Unfortunately, my time away led me to forget how little water I needed to add. As a result, the lather was a little thinner than I usually like it. Again, it was my fault for adding too much water to the protolather. While the slickness was great, the cushion wasn't as much as I like. This led me to feel the blade a little more than with my previous shave

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I soaked the top of the soap in the tub. I squeezed my brush dry and then swirled it across the top of the soap and then transferred brush and all the soap I managed to gather with it into my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl where I whipped up the soap into a protolather (as per my practice, I before swirling my brush, I dumped the soapy water into an empty cup. I poured some of this soapy eater into my protolather and also applied a little of the soapy water to my face before each lather pass).

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Afterward, I cleaned up with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Pinaud Clubman) and aftershave balm (Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I felt some minor stinging from the alum block, including on the spot where I nicked myself. The alcohol in the splash hit hard again, as was expected from the thinner lather and blade feel.

Ultimately, I think if i manage to dial in my lather, I should be able to get some more shaves out of this blade. That's completely unreal to me! I mean, my next shave will be shave # 20 with it!

All in all, I would give this shave a 95/100.

Shave 2 on 2nd blade:
Still had a pretty rough shave BUT not as bad as the first. I use an aggressive razor (1.55 WR2) for almost every shave and only shave MWF. I’m thinking about using a GC 84 and seeing if that allows me to enjoy this blade. For me this razor is an autopilot shave, no thinking and plenty quick, just not 2 days between shave smooth. I look forward to what the results look like after I switch on Friday.

proxy.php

Seventeenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Another fine performance from the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo.

All three passes were trouble-free, once again. The result was a close, smooth shave with no post-shave irritation. The comfort level was high, as usual; the blade just glided over my skin, cleanly and quickly.

Overall, I'm still very impressed with these Polsilver Stainless blades. They continually prove to be a quality product.

20210919_184649-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #236/2021
21-09-2021

>> TALLOW TABAC TUESDAY <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Above The Tie OC S2-plate
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (9)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac ASL.

Blade 4 - shave 9

No new findings, just another excellent and smooth shave with this marvelous blade, I couldn't identify any signs of fading today. Three passes, efficient and flawless. True BBS.

Onward to shave no. 10.
Happy shaves, y'all!

proxy.php

Eighteenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

A superb performance from the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo, today.

I enjoyed an even better outing from this razor/blade combination than I've had in the past few days. We all joke about shaves that are so quick and smooth that we wonder if there was a blade in the razor. Well, I had one of those shaves. And, the most surprising thing is that I got it on the eighteenth use of this blade.

As I've said before, these blades may be the most consistent that I've ever used. All blades have ups and downs, but the Polsilver Stainless have the smallest variance between those fluctuations.

Just a great blade, overall. :thumbup1:

Last night, I had shave #20 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soap (in the wooden bowl), again. This time, the lather was closer to how I usually like it. There was the usual good slickness and the cushion was better than the last shave's. I felt the blade a little less than with my previous shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I soaked the top of the soap in the tub. I squeezed my brush dry and then swirled it across the top of the soap and then transferred brush and all the soap I managed to gather with it into my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl where I whipped up the soap into a protolather (as per my practice, before swirling my brush, I dumped the soapy water into an empty cup. I poured some of this soapy water into my protolather and also applied a little of the soapy water to my face before each lather pass).

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. Afterward, I cleaned up with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Pinaud Clubman) and aftershave balm (Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I felt just the most minor stinging from the alum block. I also felt just a little sting from the alcohol in the splash.

Based in this shave, I think I may be able to get at least five more shaves out of this blade. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I got more than that!

All in all, I would give this shave a 97.5/100.

Attachments

• F422ACB3-C807-415A-87C9-685A3050C20B.jpeg
    F422ACB3-C807-415A-87C9-685A3050C20B.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 2
Top Bottom