Wizamet SI Shave 3 Polsilver vs Wizamet

Razor Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB
Blade Wizamet SI (3)
Brush WCS 24mm Silvertip
Soap Tabac
Toner Lucky Tiger
AS Pinaud Clubman

Rating 9/10 BBS
Today's shave wasn't terrible, it was close and a little minor irritation but a lot went wrong. First off I didn't hydrate my lather enough so for the first pass the blade couldn't get very close due to the thick lather. The kind of lather that you struggle to rinse off of your razor you know? And my wife decides she needed to shower then and she is wanting to discuss plans for today and questions and can I get her a fresh bar of soap. Don't get me wrong, my wife is amazing, but my Zen Saturday shave went down the toilet and my concentration with it. So about halfway through my second pass, after giving myself a really nice weeper, I managed to wet my brush and kept adding water until I thinned the lather enough to be slick and no longer impenetrable. I muddled my way through the third pass, just wanting to end the shave at this point. Cold water rinse and Alum block stopped the bleeding. The feedback from Alum and aftershave were about the same as yesterday, minor but it was there in a few places. After this shave I don't know how to really compare the Wizamet performance today with yesterdays Polsilver shave. So much went wrong. I must say this, when I shave with the Wolfman razor it probably takes 6 to 8 hours longer for my stubble to reach the same growth as occurs after shaving with my other razors. I will continue onward to shave 4 for both blades.

Wolf Tabac.jpg

proxy.php

Sixteenth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick

Still no signs of slowing down!

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo is still providing a smooth, trouble-free shave with no post-shave irritation. A lot of this has to do with the negligible amount of buffing required to get a close shave.

As I noted in my entry from July 25, the blade began to exhibit a reduction in sharpness and that was when the need to buff arose. However, the buffing has been limited to only a few extra strokes per outing. So, although there has been a definite loss of efficiency, there has been only a minimal increase in effort to get a close shave and the corresponding comfort level is still very high.

In other words, the less time I spend scraping my face, the less irritated my face becomes. :thumbup1:

On a side note, the Yaqi Blue Marble Timber Wolf/Tabac pairing was superb, today. Very few soaps can match the richness, slickness, and ease of lathering of Tabac. 😍

Speaking of which, I've read a lot about the new non-tallowed version of Tabac, but am still wondering how it performs. There has been only one actual review and the reviewer later said that softening his water resulted in a lather that was indistinguishable from one that he generated with tallowed Tabac. This leads me to believe that the performance of non-tallowed Tabac is still good (at least in water that isn't totally mineral-laden). This also leads me to believe that Maurer & Wirtz must have done research to ensure that the new Tabac formula performed well. After all, does anyone really think that they'd allow their signature product's reputation to be damaged like that?

Well, I'll reserve judgement until I see some more reviews. Even then, it won't sway my opinion since I've got enough of the tallowed Tabac to last a lifetime, anyway! 😁

Razor: Yaqi katana SE on RR BBS aluminum handle
Blade #0.5 shave #5
Brush: TGN Black badger
Soap: Soap Commander barbershop
Aftershave: Stirling sandpiper + cryogen
Was a good decent shave, but noticed a more definite drop in sharpness, a little tugging, so will bin the half blade and start the other half next shave.

Polsilver Stainless, Blade#1, Edge#2, Shave#2
Rockwell 6S Razor, Plate #4
Proraso Green (tub)
Maggard 28mm 2-band badger

Today's shave wasn't quite as good as yesterday's, just missing a BBS designation. It felt good all the way, smooth and comfortable. But it left a pinkie-nail sized bit of barely perceptible stubble just below the rear left corner of my jaw. No post-shave drama of any sort.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210731_141459.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#5

Razor: Rockwell 6C R4
Blade: Polsilver Stainless Unobtainium
Soap: Schafmilch
Brush: Yaqi Black Ferrari

Sticking with the Rockwell tonight on the R4 plate as this razor seems to perform well with this blade. I decided to use Schafmilch, this soap has sat in my den and been rather underused since I acquired it. The lather was excellent and very slick, much better than I remembered.
The WTG pass was not quite as good as with the SV soap, but still no irritation or tugging. XTG again was a pleasure and was fairly close. The final ATG pass left me with a BBS again and no irritation. All together this soap has been a great success and one I must use more, I think it might join my regular 3017 rotation.

9FDB9BB0-1FBD-4484-8E77-2A07ADBBE35C.jpeg

Blade #2 Shave #4 Slant Saturday
Pre:
Proraso blue
Brush: AP Shave Co modular synbad
Lather: Dr Jon’s Savannah Sunrise
Razor: RR G37 w/HD handle

Still pretty smooth. Better shave than yesterday, but still takes more buffing than I’d like to get a good result. The results and face feel are good though. Might go one more.

First Shave with Unobtainium Vintage Polsilver Stainless Blade #2

Razor:
Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (1)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Soap and Aftershave: Murphy and McNeil Garda Siochana

After three mediocre shaves with blade #1, I loaded up a fresh blade. I kept the same razor and soap as I used with the first blade so the only variable was the blade.

Well, after the first stroke WTG, I immediately realized that blade #1 was a dud. I did a three pass shave with average amount of buffing in the trouble areas, that resulted in DFS with no cuts or irritation but one weeper. Unlike blade #1, I had no tugging at all, even in my trouble areas. The blade felt smooth and sharp but I wish it was slightly more efficient but it was an improvement and an enjoyable shave.

View attachment 1303617

For the second blade, I decided I will be comparing the Polsilver Stainless (vintage) to a Polsilver Super Iridium, switching back and forth each shave but using the same razor and soap base. The above is shave #1 with the Stainless.

Shave #1 with Polsilver Super Iridium was very similar to shave #1 with the Stainless. They felt very close during the shave but got a slightly closer shave with the Super Iridium. I also got slightly less feedback with the alum and aftershave with the Super Iridium but this shave I made sure to really concentrate on my pressure as I guessed after the last stainless shave I was adding pressure subconsciously as blade #1 was a dud and needed lots of extra help so not looking too much into the extra feedback yet.

Shave one was almost a draw but a slight edge to the Super Iridium for the extra closeness

20210801_094222-01.jpeg

SOTD 193/2021
01-08-2021

>> All Aventus August <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Fine ~ Platinum
Razor: Mühle Rocca R89
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (10)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Fine Platinum AS and psb.

Blade 1 - shave 10

Finally, it's All Aventus August! I saved an unused hard puck (aka the vintage 😉 version) of Fine Platinum for its start. The SOC boar whipped up a creamy dense lather without efforts. The scent on Fine's interpretation of the Aventus scent is a bit more on the oakmossy spicy side of the spectrum - as is Montblanc Explorer EdP, so I opted to combine them. A great start...

The vintage Polsilver cut down my 36 hours worth of growth like nobody's business - that is impressive, it was shave no. 10: three passes today, wow, ever so smooth - what a nice pairing with the efficient Mühle Rocca. BBS.

I'd like to quote @bazza1 :
My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine. 😉

Have a nice Sunday, y'all!

Last edited:
Shave #10
3 days growth

Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Pre: Cool shower with PdP White Gardenia
Razor: Winning Razor
Soap: PdP 63
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: AV Ice Sport

Yes, I used the wife's bath soap. I wanted to have a PdP morning. Another great face lathering with the PdP. It's such a great soap and so inexpensive as well. This was my first outing with the Winning Razor, so I decided to give a 3 day beard test.

First pass there was a good bit of resistance, and not just from the stubble or dulling blade. I experienced the "suction" others have observed. I continued with the first pass with no trouble. I thinned down the lather for the 2nd pass and got much better movement. 3rd was smooth as well. I easily got a 3 pass BBS excepting the trouble spot with no drama. No feedback from the alum or splash. This blade is still cruising along but nearing it's end.

Blade #2 Shave #3

Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Soap: Arko stick
Brush: Yaqi synthetic

I will never look down my nose again at Arko.

9.5/10 today, no nicks or cuts, and I was able to shave with just muscle memory. I don't totally enjoy having to concentrate and exercise extreme caution when I shave, and today was a break from any of that sort of care.

Polsilver Stainless Blade 2 Shave 4 Polsilver vs Wizamet

Razor Rockwell 6S R4 plate
Blade Polsilver Stainless (4)
Brush PAA Peregrino
Soap Arko
Toner Lucky Tiger
AS Pinaud Lime Sec

Rating 10/10 BBS
Another great shave with Rockwell & Polsilver pairing. Blade remains sharp and smooth. No weepers and very little feedback with my Alum block and aftershave. I love this combo. I use both the soap stick and the puck to make my lather. I go pretty light on my face with the soap stick. Might not do many other photos as I just started All Arko August and my wife is after me to reduce my shaving gear as we need to get the house ready for photos and viewings and eventually packing for a move. I don't anticipate my shaving gear changing much over the next while. Next shave will be the same gear with Wizamet blade.

Arko Rock.jpg

Unobtainium Polsilver Stainless Blade #2 - Shave #6

Equipment:
Gillette Slim (4), Polsilver Stainless Blade #2 (6), Captain's Choice Venture Shave Soap

The Shave: In honor of All Aventus August, I pulled out the Captain's Choice Venture. What an amazing scent!! I whipped up a nice lather, and enjoyed a decent shave. Shave #6 on Blade #2 was comfortable, but, like Blade #1 when it got to this point, left behind too much stubble. I'd take comfortable over tugginess any day of the week (and twice on Sundays). So, even though I managed a nice SAS shave, it's time to move on to Blade #3.

Second blade second shave, same set up.
Universal shavette
Tabac
444 Balm
H&V C&CC

A great shave again!
Every time I use a shavette with a nice blade I wonder why everyone doesn't use one.
Its very economical, fun to use and great shaves are always there for you.
Really nice blades. I will see if this one lasts longer than the last one at just 4 shaves, not that it matters really as it shines so bright as a wonderfully smooth shaver.

Polsilver Super Stainless. Blade 2, Edge 1, Shave 1. Gillette Tech (modern Chinese) on Windrose (heavy) damascus steel handle; Cold River Soapworks Select citrus; Frank Shaving 20mm best badger.

As expected, there were no weeper with the Tech. I could write "I had to check there was a blade in it", such was the initial smoothness, but I am very mindful of that kind of thing. I was surprised, though, that there was still a little irritation around the neck, followed by a bucketload of alum feedback.

I'll get around that on the next shave by avoiding alum, but I am a little disappointed by that. I did have a long run this morning, which does seem to leave me prone to irritation. I'll have to remember that.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Polsilver Shave-Off -- Round 3 — Charcoal Goods Level 2…Again

In the Left corner: Copper head, Magnum Hammered, Modern Polsilver SI, Shave 3

In the Right corner: Stainless Head, Stinger, PIF Polsilver, Blade 2, Shave 3

The Shave: Three standard passes, no touch ups. Both razors are Level 2 Gen 2. Both razors have the same dimensions. Both razors weight exactly 4.8 ounces.

Results: I just returned from a 5 day camping trip. So there is 5 days of growth. My growth rate is pretty slow, so it’s more like 3 days growth for a normal person. Excellent shaves again from both sides! Very surprised at how well the polish PIF blade is doing.
Zero drama. Zero blood. DFS+ … near BBS results.

8ECBC8D7-966F-4F94-A5E4-470252E6B3DB.jpeg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210801_142820.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#7

Razor: Rockwell 6C
Blade: Polsilver Stainless Unobtainium
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

Another turn for SV Opuntia tonight for the first shave of AAA. This razor/soap combo is just my favourite at the moment and I could easily see this being my only setup.
How many time can I say that all the passes were excellent and left me with a BBS again
The blade is still performing well and still sharp, I'm going to predict I have maybe another week of this blade to go

Top Bottom