Shave #8
1 days growth

Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Pre: Cool shower with Yardley activated charcoal bath soap
Razor: GC 68OC
Soap: Proraso red
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Clubman Classic Vanilla

The GC 68OC performed much better than it's first outing with this blade. This time it was nice and smooth with no drama. 3 passes giving BBS excepting the trouble spot from chin to apple. Nothing to report really.

Round 1:
Shave#1, Polsilver PIF: DFS, no drama, just felt a bit rough.
Shave#2, Polsilver SI: DFS, no drama, nice and smooth, most comfortable of the 3
Shave#3, Polsilver SS: DFS, Nice and smooth, tickle on the alum, no other drama, closest shave of the 3

Round 2:
Shave#4, Polsilver PIF: DFS+, Smooth and comfortable, the roughness was gone, just a great shave.
Shave#5, Polsiver SI: Not much to say. DFS, almost like with the PIF blade, smooth, no drama.
Shave#6, Polsiver SS: DFS, mostly smooth, no drama. Not even a tickle from the alum. But this was slightly rougher than in Round 1 where this blade was in a thoroughly beat Fat Handle Tech.

Round 3:
Shave#7, Polsilver PIF: DFS, very comfortable, no drama. These blades could go a long time.
Razor: NDC Fat Handle Tech. A very beat-up Tech.
Blade: Polsilver PIF
Brush: Maggard SHD
Soap : Proraso Green (Tub)

Sorry, I missed a day of reporting, but no of shaving.

Shave#8, Polsilver SI: CCS, comfortable, no drama. But efficiency was off. Time to bin it?
Razor: NDC Fat Handle Tech.
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Maggard 2-band

Shave#9, Polsilver SS: BBS, very comfortable, no drama. Best shave so far in this test.
Razor: NDC BET. A very beat-up Tech.
Blade: Polsilver SS
Brush: Maggard SHD

At this point, I started with 3 different blades and 3 similar razors. I rotated the 3 blades through the 3 razors to equalize things. After 3 rounds I rank the Super Iridium smoothest but least efficient and therefore last. The PIFfed stainless blade and the really old stainless blade were pretty even going into Round 3, but the Old-timer gets a squeaker of a win with today's BBS.

That's it for the round-robin stage of this PIF. From here on in, I'll stick to the Polsilver PIF blade until it wears out, trying it in as many different razors as I can in the meantime. Starting with a modern razor. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210727_212534.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#2

Razor: Parker 26C
Blade: Polsilver Stainless Unobtainium
Soap: Cella
Brush: Omega Professional Boar

For tonights shave I broke out the Cella it is a great soap with a fantastic scent though as it is nearly 2 years old I think it is time to 3017 it before it goes off. The Omega Professional is well broken in and very comfortable to use.
Changed to the 26C tonight as this is one of my favourite and most familiar razors and was rewarded for it. The WTG pass was excellent, with none of the roughness of my first shave. XTG was slightly rough on my neck, but not very much and my face was smooth. The final ATG pass was also smooth and in finishing up although I required a spray of witch hazel to my neck the shave was a 3 pass easy BBS. Looks like the blade is shaping up well

I was short on time yesterday morning, so I shaved with Pinaud Clubman Shave butter, instead of shave soap. After a cold shower and toweling dry, I wet my face with some water. I then spread some shave butter on my face and started shaving.

Again, I completed a two pass shave (WTG and ATG) with my Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle. I continued to use the same my Polisilver blade (blade #2) from my last shave. This was the second shave with blade #3.
Before each pass, I wet my face and spread some shave butter. I also applied a little water to help with buffing of my usual trouble spots.

This shave also went well. The blade still felt smooth and sharp. Again, for the most part, I almost didn't feel the blade this time. Somehow, I wound up with a minor nick above my upper lip on my second (the ATG) pass. I didn't even notice it until after my pass was completed and I noticed a red dot.

Aside from the one nick, I didn't really notice any irritation. The nick itself was small but my usual post-shave alum block rubdown did not stop it from bleeding. Instead, I had to apply a styptic pencil to stop the bleeding. Aside from the nick, there was, again, just the mildest (and barely noticeable) stinging from the alum block rubdown.

As before, after rinsing off the alum block with cold water, I applied some Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue and followed that with some Duke Cannon Cooling After Shave Balm. Again, I appreciated how the menthol of these two aftershaves helped me to cool off a little after my shower and shave.

The shave was just a little below a BBS but probably a little above a DFS, though I wouldn't mind saying it was a DFS. Overall, it was in BBS-/DFS+ territory.

All in all, I would give this shave a 92/100.

proxy.php

Twelfth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Excellent performances from an all-Italian setup (except for the blade).

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo provided yet another smooth shave. Efficiency may have gone down slightly, but the comfort level is still high. Closeness was also good; no buffing was required. There was no post-shave irritation, so I did not have to apply any ASB.

Meanwhile, the Omega 10005/RR SMdF pairing was fantastic. A slightly scrubby boar is a great match for a classically-inspired soft soap. Makes me think that these Italian fellows might know a little something about traditional wet shaving! 😁

00001453-B8A8-4BCD-BCBE-94478ADED5E8.jpeg

Blade #1 Shave #7
Pre:
Proraso blue
Brush: PAA StarCraft
Lather: Cella Bio
Razor: Z3 flair tip

Binned it. It’s not uncomfortable or tugging or less smooth it’s just become not effective enough. I could keep using it if I wanted to do 7 pass shaves but nah, time to move on. It’s been a real nice blade though. Never gave me any nicks or irritation or tugging.

Shave fourteen tonight with the Polsilver loaded in my metal Mulcuto diagonal razor.

Again, from the previous night, I noticed that the blade was still very comfortable, but was losing efficiency. WTG pass was as smooth as ever, however a light layer of stubble was left. ATG pass cleared most of the stubble, however a lot was left over which required my normal XTG pass along the jaw line and under my chin. At the end of that, there was still touch up and buffing left to do in order to get the usual BBS.

One last try tomorrow and I have selected my Muhle Companion, a good mid shaver. Because I took off my blue cord, I will be using it outside of the shower.

Blade 1 shave 6.

Wow. Can’t remember the last time I used a blade 6x. It might go one more but 6 might be the max for me as it is losing a bit of sharpness. I average 2-3 shaves from every other blade, so I am impressed.

If I ever wanted to go nuts and try to take a blade 20+ shaves, this Polsilver would be my only choice.

535BE310-62E3-47DD-BFBF-93B3688138FD.jpeg

Third Shave With Unobtanium Vintage Polsilver Stainless Blade #1

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (3)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress” with 26mm V10 Fanchurian (Bulb)
Soap and Aftershave: Murphy and McNeil Naid

Today I shaved with 24 hours growth hoping the blade would perform better with minimal growth to cut as I had difficulty with the first shave of 6 days growth and second shave with 2 days. Unfortunately the only difference was the efficiency had dropped quite a bit. I did a four pass shave for the first time (w,x,a&a) with lots of touch ups and ended up with CCS, luckily with no weepers or irritation and only light feedback with the alum. A positive is I find this to be the most forgiving blade I’ve ever used, I could probably shave with no lather and get no irritation or feedback from the alum, don’t think I’ll test it though.

I agree with @South Dakota Guy with the comparison to Personna Israeli Reds as they perform exactly the same for me. If you put a Personna Israeli Red and this blade in my razor and didn’t tell me which it was, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

2CFA7268-2719-4E97-91AC-5742501467BA.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Today I shaved with 24 hours growth hoping the blade would perform better with minimal growth to cut as I had difficulty with the first shave of 6 days growth and second shave with 2 days. Unfortunately the only difference was the efficiency had dropped quite a bit. I did a four pass shave for the first time (w,x,a&a) with lots of touch ups and ended up with CCS, luckily with no weepers or irritation and only light feedback with the alum. A positive is I find this to be the most forgiving blade I’ve ever used, I could probably shave with no lather and get no irritation or feedback from the alum, don’t think I’ll test it though.

I agree with @South Dakota Guy with the comparison to Personna Israeli Reds as they perform exactly the same for me. If you put a Personna Israeli Red and this blade in my razor and didn’t tell me which it was, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

View attachment 1303225
Forgive my ignorance, but are the "Personna Israeli Reds" readily available in the States? I do not believe I have ever used one, though I may have one here.

I also did shave number 3 on the first blade today, in my Fatboy (giggle) on "5"...

Not the blades fault, totally user error, but the more I use that thing the more convinced I am that it is going to the Saint Sue auction. ESPECIALLY since I discovered that TTO Krona! If it treats my incredibly handsome face as well with other blades I could see me PIFFING half a dozen razors.

*edit* Full shave report later. I'm going to wrestle with my post Covid insomnia in bed. This long haul cr*p is killin' my soul doggone.

Forgive my ignorance, but are the "Personna Israeli Reds" readily available in the States? I do not believe I have ever used one, though I may have one here.

I also did shave number 3 on the first blade today, in my Fatboy (giggle) on "5"...

Not the blades fault, totally user error, but the more I use that thing the more convinced I am that it is going to the Saint Sue auction. ESPECIALLY since I discovered that TTO Krona! If it treats my incredibly handsome face as well with other blades I could see me PIFFING half a dozen razors.

*edit* Full shave report later. I'm going to wrestle with my post Covid insomnia in bed. This long haul cr*p is killin' my soul doggone.

The Personna Platinum were previously made in Israel and a year or two ago moved to Germany. Attached are a photo (not mine, from Google) of the two packages for the Israeli version. They are now made in Germany in blue package with gold and I haven’t used them to verify if they are the same.

Edit, guess I should add the photo 🤦‍♂️
F1E9F49B-68D6-470F-AD41-55E96C4CB4FD.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 1303225
Maybe this blade just isn't for you.
However, i'd bin it and try a fresh blade...

20210728_121631-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #190/2021
28-07-2021

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Thäter 4125/1 2-Band Silvertip Badger 24/52 LE
Soap: Mäurer und Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (7)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS.

Blade 1 - shave 7

Very nice and easy shave with the Red Tip, which is rather in the middle of the aggressiveness spectrum. It's been one of those shaves where I hardly noticed the blade, if at all there was some feedback within the atg pass.

3 passes, no nicks. No irritation of my skin. BBS on the cheeks, dfs on the neck. Just nice.

Onward to shave no.8!

Wrt TABAC a short heads up for those who enjoy this soap. Mäurer & Wirtz recently have re-formulated the soap to a non tallow soap. Grap a puck of the old formula as long as it lasts - if you are interested (reviews of the new formular are pending...)

Happy shaves, y'all!

Last edited:
Shave 2 of Polsilver Stainless blade 2 Polsilver Stainless VS Wizamet Super Iridium

Razor Rockwell 6S Plate R4
Blade Polsilver Stainless
Brush PAA Peregrino
Soap Wickham 1912 Shamrock Tweed
AS Captain's Choice Developmental Aftershave (for what became Italia)

10/10 BBS

Just when I think my shaves can't get any better they do. The Rockwell 6S was the razor I began my DE journey with and I haven't even looked at it in 6 months probably. This razor and blade combination is a winner. The blade was super smooth and sharp. It was a very efficient shave for that mild razor set up. Tomorrow same set up for the Wizamet SI. That's gonna be a tough act for the Wizamet to follow.

Rock Tweed.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Polsilver Shave-Off -- Round 2 — Charcoal Goods Level 2

In the right corner: Copper head, Magnum Hammered, Modern Polsilver SI, Shave2

In the left corner: Stainless Head, Stinger, PIF Polsilver, Blade 2, Shave 2

The Shave: Today the left side had the PIF blade. Right Side was a modern Polsilver SI. Three standard passes, no touch ups. Why the mix and match of the razor parts and metals? Because I have a ton of CG stuff, and weighed every part until I came up with two razors with the same configuration and the same weight. Those handles are the same size and shape. Both heads are Level 2 Gen 2. Both razors weight exactly 4.8 ounces.

Results: I have to say I am quite surprised by today’s results… again! Excellent shaves. Both sides were indistinguishable from the other. The slight differential was that the PIF blade did feel quite a bit smoother on the first pass. It was a little smoother in the second pass. The modern blade side had a little tiny bit more aftershave burn, and did feel the slightest bit closer. Both sides were grade A shaves. Very comparable results. For the record, my preferred blade in the CG Level 2 is the Perma Sharp in the gold box, which gives me a closer and smoother shave in the Level 2 then either of these blades. But these both performed great.

4083EA3A-24AE-43CE-A1CB-0730E3E4BDA7.jpeg

1B4DBC61-BCD6-4AF7-B80B-97BC4F392224.jpeg29B92F89-A348-4E90-A166-FE5CE2BA337D.jpegF9529008-4963-4DA9-90F9-F30118420825.jpeg

Top Bottom