What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

No info about pixie dust aka real iridium

As was discovered 7 years ago

I received my blades this afternoon and put them to the test about an hour ago! (Thanks to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for the opportunity!)

Razor: Game Changer .84P SB
Blade: Polsilver Super Stainless
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Razorock synthetic......bowl lather

After a nice hot shower I proceeded to load my brush up with Tabac and get the Captains' bowl busy. After obtaining a nice rich lather, I got busy with my first pass. The blade introduced itself as being sharp enough for these old whiskers. Going WTG for the first pass was painless, and did a rather good job. The second pass was XTG and I started to feel a slight harshness from the razor, but not bad. The third pass was ATG and the harshness was there, but not intolerable.

After a 3 pass shave for the first time using this blade, I can say that it was a good experience, which should improve after we get better acquainted. All in all it was a DFS with slight irritation which isn't really bad at all. My usual blades consist of Polsilver SI,,,Gillette 7 Yellows,,,Perma Sharp,,,and Feather.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Ah, the anticipation.

Today, I discovered an envelope in the mailbox, postmarked from Lewiston, Maine. As it’s only the second envelope I’ve received from that locale, I knew the love it contained. Inside was a tuck of glorious Polsilver blades, wrapped inside a nickel-roll wrapper. Rushed inside to ready my Rockwell 6S. Tomorrow morning will begin with this shave, immediately followed by posting a B&B thank you while savoring an excellent cup of coffee.

Ah, the anticipation.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
C5EAD325-5091-47D9-BC07-DCBBB9B218D0.jpeg

Enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon, reminiscing over this morning’s shave. First time with a Polsilver Iridium Super Stainless. Contrary to the name, it did not glow in the dark. But, it did live up to the accolades.

Steamed towel, Tabac, Zenith boar, Rockwell 6S 3 plate, Nivea cooling balm. Blade tugged whiskers a bit more than my normal Astra SS, but also delivered with zero irritation, zero weepers. Two passes, WTG & ATG. Seven hours later my face remains smooth.

This is a top-tier blade that delivered results as good as my favorites, and is now part of my blade rotation. Sincere thanks to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for this very generous PIF.

Brush: Rudy Vey “Red Wolf” 28mm Oumo Lotus Tip Knot, 2nd use
this knot retains more water than any knot I have ever used,
but is soft and releases lather easily, it is great to have a different
knot in my den.

Soap: MDC Argumes

Razor: Wolfman WR2 SB 1.35, w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle

Blade: Polsilver Stainless (1), this by far was one of the best shaves I have ever had

1st pass WTG hardly even felt the blade, that is not that unusual,
2nd pass XTG from left ear to right ear still hardly any blade feel as I
approached the right ear feel a little blade as always, but the difference
was that it took two buffs to clean it up.
3rd pass XTG from right ear to left same as previous pass
4th pass ATG still little blade feel, but very smooth.
Very little cleanup, face is as smooth as glass and very little reaction
from aftershave

Post Shave: 4711

12/10
870477C4-E040-44E9-B677-B9CC44098F23.jpeg
4D766E54-D5E0-405F-BD63-A20F71431A8F.jpeg
33D0FD58-B9F1-46EE-AC16-E40C0A0BD0EE.jpeg
6054027C-BEC3-4E5B-925F-A2FD35A8A569.jpeg

I'll show you my two sleeves of vintage Wizamet Polsilver Stainless blades. The blades are magical, probably the best blades I've ever tried.
What seems a little weird to me is although both sleeves contain 25 tucks of 10 blades each, one is a little bigger than the other. But other than that everything is the same on those two, including what I think is the serial number of the product: BN-84/4523-04
One of the sleeves even has the price stamped on it: 300 polish zloty, which is in today's value of polish zloty equals 78.36$ but in the 1970-ies or the 1980-ies was probably much less than that.

View attachment 1294799

View attachment 1294800
I have 3 such sleeves. Except mine are for export for Arab countries and have additional inscriptions in Arabic. Look at the inside of the flaps on those sleeves. There is usually purple ink stamp that states month (in 3 letter code in Polish) and year of manufacture.
As for the BN-84/4523-04. This was a common system in Eastern block countries. It states the standard or specifications for the product. Almost always it has the year in double digit format. Here 84 means 1984. Means they changed something in 1984. But it could be only a price change. Could be a technical specification change.

Last edited:
IMG_20210712_210757514.jpg

What a treat to obtain an unobtainable blade. My first use was with the Rex Ambassador and the wonderful Captain's Choice Venture. I shaved both face and head in two passes plus touch ups. The Polsilver blade was quite comfortable and clearly very efficient.

Brush: Simpson’s LE Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip, first use today
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (2), 2nd shave was just as great as the first, I hardly take any blade past 2 shaves, but will definitely go for 3rd shaves tomorrow
Soap: MDC Argumes
Razor: Wolfman WR2 SB 1.35 w/ Timeless Ti Crown 👑 Handle
Post Shave: 4711
B9800402-163E-4F8B-A392-0CE781E6AF28.jpeg
E3E1DB0D-ED65-463F-825F-644D886F0C30.jpeg
7A9D771F-3367-42FC-AAAA-63C860D559C7.jpeg
C8EE143E-5C66-450E-8C0A-8DDA87CEB280.jpeg

All the discussion about this blade had me a little worried, so I rolled out the the shaving accoutrements that I trusted the most.

Razor: Timeless SS .68 SB
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street
Pre-shave: Truefit and Hill oil

Comments: Maybe because I was using a very light touch (see "worried", above), I couldn't feel the blade--it was that smooth. After the first pass (WTG), I almost stopped because the shave was so good, including under my chin (where I usually have difficulty). I decided to go with a second pass (XTG) because I already felt comfortable with the blade. I did remain vigilant, however. The second pass got me up to DFS+, so I quit while I was ahead. I am going to use the same combination tomorrow, but after that will switch razors (and put in a new blade) on days 3 and 5. So far so good. Thanks yet again to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet. This was an amazing opportunity.

Top Bottom