What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

20211015_184601.jpg

Blade #1, Shave #14

Altough there's some that get 30-40 and even 50 shaves, I'm very impressed by the smoothness of the shave. There's a couple of blade that I've seen people reaching 20 shaves or more, but I couldn't get any more then 10 shaves. The 10th one being on the fence of being rough. 14th shave and it still so smooth, I'm just mind blown...

I just cannot wait to see how many shave I could get with the first blade despite the dent I put on one side with my fingernail.

Ariana & Evans Chatelet being based on the Roja Dove's Diaghilev perfume, it reminded me a lot of Chasing the Dragon. Awesome scent. I really liked it a lot.

Have a nice one gents!

I should finally make a report I suppose! I'm still pretty new to wet shaving, so it won't be as detailed as everybody else's, but I thought I'd share.

I'd been shaving with Personna Med Preps in a FOCS for a few months, then switched to the Polsilver Super Stainless for about 40 shaves (going through four blades). Then I got a shipping notice for a Vector, so I hastily switched back to the Med Preps for like three shaves for comparison purposes, and since then I'm Vectoring it.

The Polsilver Super Stainless shaves were nice! I think they just made shaving easier (smoother?). (When I switched back to the Med Preps, I definitely felt like I had to work a little harder.) And yeah, so when I shaved with the Polsilver Super Stainless, my face felt better afterwards. I can't compare to any other blades, but at least when paired against the Med Preps, the Polsilver Super Stainless were very impressive to me!

proxy.php

Forty-third shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

More of the same. Same same same. Dear God... 🥱

😜

Seriously, though, there wasn't any noticeable change from yesterdays outing. However, I'm not complaining because this just points to the amazing consistency that this blade has displayed since new. But I will say that it's getting a bit boring. 50 uses can't get here fast enough! 😁

Last night, I had shave #32 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel. This was my fourth shave with a Fatip razor; I'm really loving it!

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made just about just as good a lather as I could with it. It was slick and cushiony.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I drizzled a handful of drops of cold tap water on top of the soap.

After the puck absorbed the bloom water, I shook my brush to remove some water, and picked up the soap puck in my left hand. I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl. Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty yogurt cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the shaving bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). Because I over-buffed a bit, I wound up feeling just a hint of the alum sting. It was about a 2/10. Afterward, I also felt the small sting from the alcohol in the splash.

As I said before, I'm going to aim for shave #60 with this blade. If I can manage to continue making lathers like last night's, it's very possible.

All in all, I would give this shave a 98.5/100.

2E5AD5C2-F7F8-4579-912C-AB3F7878DD58.jpeg

More of the same. Same same same. Dear God... 🥱

😜

Seriously, though, there wasn't any noticeable change from yesterdays outing. However, I'm not complaining because this just points to the amazing consistency that this blade has displayed since new. But I will say that it's getting a bit boring. 50 uses can't get here fast enough! 😁

If you'd like I could send you some contrasting blades. I've recently discovered that I received fake Gillette Blue Blades that shave horribly, and by that, I mean, agonizing pain inflicted on every whisker. That should break up the monotony of having to enduring one excellent shave after another.

If you'd like I could send you some contrasting blades. I've recently discovered that I received fake Gillette Blue Blades that shave horribly, and by that, I mean, agonizing pain inflicted on every whisker. That should break up the monotony of having to enduring one excellent shave after another.

I'm almost tempted to take you up on your offer. However, I have some really terrible blades here (mostly from Bangladesh) that I can't even get one shave out of.

If I ever feel like cutting my face off, I'll break out one of those! :p

proxy.php

Forty-fourth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Stout 24mm Angel Hair
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

This blade is consistently smoother and more efficient than my first vintage Polsilver Stainless blade at the same point in its lifespan. By its 44th use, the previous blade required much more effort to achieve a close shave. That is, I was spending more time buffing my trouble spots and, sometimes, lathering up select areas for touch-up passes. As a result, the comfort level dropped and my face was left slightly sensitive on a few occasions.

No such worries with this current blade, though. All three passes were smooth and comfortable with no signs of tugging or roughness. I'm particularly happy with the performance on the ATG passes. They have been almost completely trouble-free from the start.

Speaking of longevity, I'm extremely encouraged by @hairless wonder's progress with his vintage Polsilver blade. It's great to see someone else getting extended life from them because it means that I'm not the only weirdo that can squeeze every last bit of performance out of a blade! :thumbup1: 😜

Last night, I had shave #33 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made just about just as good a lather as I could with it. It was slick and cushiony.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After I shook my brush to remove some water and picked up the soap puck in my left hand, I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl. Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the shaving bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I did not feel my blade; this is how I like it. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave. That said, I wound up with a tiny weeper that disappeared on its own during some buffing (after the first pass) under my nose.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt a tiny bit of sting from t he alum block (where the weeper had been. The sting was about a 1/10. Afterward, I also felt a small sting from the alcohol in the splash.

This was my first time using the VDH balm. I saw it on sale for $3.00 at my local TJ Maxx and figured I'd give it a whirl. I used a pea sized amount of the balm and spread it across my cheeks, chin, etc. The balm was greasier on the skin than Nivea and took longer to dry down/absorb into the skin. This might be a good balm for the winter months when chapping and dry skin become more problematic. Alternatively, this could be a travel after shave balm, since it's only 3.4 oz. (96g.).

All in all, I would give this shave a 98.5/100.

5E777E31-8557-4066-BE1F-0429C7E3457F.jpeg

proxy.php

Forty-fifth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Yet another fine shave from this blade/razor combination.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo is still providing smooth, close shaves despite the blade's advanced age. Not much to say other than all three of my usual passes were trouble-free and I had no post-shave irritation afterwards.

Quite remarkable, really.

Are there any blades remaining?

I have three blades left, but I'm going to hold onto them. Then I don't have to buy any more blades for at least 5 or 6 years! 😜

Seriously, though... I think that all of the vintage Polsilver blades are spoken for. However, Grundi tells us that a new Participation PIF will begin after Saint Sue's Auction is complete. If you're interested, then I'm sure that you'll get to try some equally intriguing blades. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Forty-sixth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf, Travel-Size
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

The boredom intensifies!

There were no noticeable changes over the last few shaves; the Polsilver Stainless blade remains as consistent as ever. So, I was saddled with yet another lovely three-pass shave with no tugging or roughness and no post-shave irritation afterwards. So boring! 😛

The Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf/PdP No. 63 pairing is very stimulating, though. Easy to lather, feels great on the face, performs amazingly well, and smells nice. Can't ask for more than that. :thumbup1:

Are there any blades remaining?
Seriously, though... I think that all of the vintage Polsilver blades are spoken for. However, Grundi tells us that a new Participation PIF will begin after Saint Sue's Auction is complete. If you're interested, then I'm sure that you'll get to try some equally intriguing blades. :thumbup1:
They've all been spoken for.

...However, the rumor that there will be another PIF coming soon after the Saint Sue Moore Auction has a great deal of credibility to it. I'm holding off so that we can keep the focus on raising money for cancer research thru the Auction.

This morning, I had shave #34 with blade #2 of the vintage Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. Again, the blade was held in place with a Fatip Open Comb Piccolo in nickel.

I used Tabac (tallow) shaving soap and made a good lather that was slick and cushiony.

Prior to the shave, I showered with warm water and also used warm water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. After I shook my brush to remove some water and picked up the soap puck in my left hand, I began swirling my brush across the top of the soap for a minute before scooping up all the protolather left on the puck and transferring it to the shaving bowl. Next, I rinsed the remaining protolather off my fingers with some warm tap water and collected the soapy water in an empty cup. I then picked up my brush and began to stir it in the shaving bowl while gradually adding some of the soapy water to make my lather. When my lather looked shave-ready, I applied a little of the soapy water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I did not feel my blade; this is how I like it. I wound up with a very smooth BBS shave.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Van der Hagen Post Shave Soothing Balm). I felt no sting from the alum block. I did feel a bit of sting from the alcohol in the splash, though.

This was my second time using the VDH balm. Again, I thought the balm was "heavier"/greasier than the skin than other aftershave balms I've used in the past. I like won't buy another bottle of this if I run out. That said, it'll probably end up in my travel kit after a few more uses.

All in all, I would give this shave a 99/100.

B011F20E-8309-419E-977A-F2328F682443.jpeg

IMG_20211017_070639.jpg

SOC-OCtober 20th

Old Spice uber lather (Shulton soap, India Cream, Glycerin)
SOC Cherry Wood Boar
CC Copper Bowl
Gillette New Short Comb
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless (21) blade 2
Shulton Old Spice After Shave and Cologne
P&B Night Witch Post Shave Lotion (smells like Old Spice) + Hyaluronic Acid

DFS+ 9.8/10

I let my face heal for five days. Everything was healed but a bump on my chin. I was worried about shaving it off, but, no cuts today and very little alum feedback. I was torn between using the Short Comb, and, taking part in Wolfman Wednesday. I decided to stick to my guns and shave with the New. Good shave. First pass mowing down five days growth could have been more comfortable, but, three passes and I achieved a very fine DFS+. My neck is really smooth. The unobtainium blade two is still kicking with no end in sight. Very satisfying shave.

proxy.php

Forty-seventh shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble 24mm Silvertip Badger
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

A very good performance, today. The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo is still performing at a high level.

All of my usual passes were smooth and comfortable. However, there was a slight increase in effort needed to get as close as I like. I suppose this is to be expected with a blade that has 47 uses on it!

Otherwise, another trouble-free outing with no post-shave irritation.

IMG_20211021_075138.jpg

SOC-OCtober 21st

Face wash with PAA Mentholated Cube
SOC Ash Wood Finest Badger
SV Desert Vetiver soap & splash
Gillette New Short Comb
Clean up pass Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB
Wizamet Polsilver Stainless blade two (22)
Alum
Witch Hazel
Brickell Instant Relief Balm

DFS+ 9.8/10

Not much to say about blade two after 22 shaves. Still sharp and smooth. I don't know if I will hit 50 shaves with it or not, but, we are already in uncharted territory for me. I have never used a blade this long that I am aware of. I guess this qualifies me for the Excalibur club. I wasn't early enough for the PIF, but, I'm glad I got some for myself to take part. I am really impressed with these blades. This morning I found 20 made in Poland Wizamet Super Iridiums on the Bay. After we were just talking about them in another thread, and, after my experience with the Stainless, I am really looking forward to those. I want to thank @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for bringing them to my attention with this PIF.

Top Bottom