Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Polsilver Unobtainium blade#2 shave#2

Razor: Parker 26C
Blade: Polsilver Unobtainium
Cream: Proraso Wood and Spice
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice

Tonight I paired the Polsilver with the Parker 26C. Although open comb the 26C is quite mild but always give a foot close shave. This blade seems to start very sharp and even with the mild 26C I can feel how sharp it is.
The Proraso Wood and Spice cream has a strong, but good scent and will be on my 3017 list sometime after I finish my current 3017, a tub of Proraso green. The lather was excellent, better and thicker than the green tub and slick enough to give a really comfortable shave. 3 simple passes left me with a BBS and no need for clean up passes.

Last night, I had shave #25 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Tabac (Tallow) shaving soap for the first time ever. I made too much lather and added too much water for my preference. Still, the lather was slick with decent cushion. I managed to get an almost irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I took the soap out of the tub and placed it upside down in my Captain's Choice Seaworthy bowl, where I poured just enough water just to reach a bit above the edge of the grooves in the bottom of the bowl. I won't be making that mistake again. The Tabac does not need to be treated like other triple milled soaps I've used in the past.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather still on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. Unfortunately, I added too much water, but the Tabac just drank up all the extra water. It seems to have a huge margin of error--more than any soaps I've used previously. When my lather was good to go, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I managed to nick myself just the tiniest bit above my lip. Additionally, I wound up feeling the blade a little more than with previous shaves. Aside from that, the shave was smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Pinaud Clubman) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). I felt no real sting from the alum block, aside from where I nicked myself, and only the barest hint of a sting from the alcohol in the splash.

I'm pretty sure that once my lather is dialed in, I can get at least another 5 (if not more) shaves out of this blade. Also, why didn't anyone tell me about Tabac being such a fantastic soap before? It has excellent residual slickness (as most of the other soaps I've used also do) but making a lather with this is almost idiot proof. Heck, I knew I added way too much water but the lather was not only still usable but it was still pretty protecting! I may need to stock up on the (tallow) refill pucks! (Seriously, why did Maurer Wirtz mess with the formula to remove tallow? The tallow Tabac is pretty much bulletproof and perfect.)

All in all, I would give this shave a 97.5/100.
A8E0FC1F-D21D-42DE-A9A0-E1BA8302849B.jpeg

proxy.php

Twenty-eighth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

A nice, close shave, today.

The tugging that I experienced yesterday was not evident today. So, I guess it was just an anomaly. However, it should be noted that there have been a few anomalous incidents in the last couple of weeks. This indicates that consistency might be wavering.

Regardless, today's three usual passes went by quickly and smoothly. No trouble on the ATG pass, at all. Some minor buffing was required along my jawline; this is now routine as the blade ages. There was no post-shave irritation.

Overall, a fine performance.

Mike M

Polsilver Unobtainium Blade#2 Shave#3

Razor: Yaqi SB razor
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Yaqi Purple Mink

Tonight I decided to dig out a soap I haven't used in a while Stirling Sharp Dressed Man, a fantastic autumn/winter soap and one of my favourite scents with great performance. When you are on a 3017 kick you forget just how much fun it is to pick whatever soap you want. Scent is important to me and a good scent like this really adds to the enjoyment of a shave.
The razor I chose as it is a little more aggressive than the KCG, but not too aggressive. The shave itself was wonderful and after 3 passes and no touchups I was left with yet another BBS from this blade

proxy.php

Twenty-ninth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

More of the same.

Since the minor tugging episode on September 30, the FOCS/Polsilver Stainless pairing has provided two quick, close shaves. Therefore, it looks we only experienced a little bump on an otherwise smooth stretch of highway and we're back to cruising in comfort.

Effort has gone up, but not markedly so. Just a few extra buffing strokes here and there to get a DFS+ or better. As usual, there was no post-shave irritation.

Tomorrow's shave will mark 30 uses of this blade. If my first Polsilver Stainless blade was any indicator, then I might only be 60% of the way through the life of this second blade. I'm not sure if I should be amused or amazed. 😁

Mike M

Polsilver Unobtainium Blade#2 shave#4

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Soap: RR San Marco
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Timberwolf

With the cold turn in the weather I decided on RR San Marco for tonight. The bergamot/neroli scent reminds me of a Tuscan orange grove, not that I've ever been to a Tuscan orange grove, but if I ever did I'd hope it would smell like this. At least it reminds me of summer and though not one of my best performing soaps the scent makes up for it.
The Fatip Piccolo is one of my favourite razors and always gives a fantastic shave with very little effort. This razor/blade combo is very comfortable although there is a bit of blade feel. The three passes were comfortable and removed all the stubble down to a BBS finish. The blade has shown no signs of deterioration so far, but the first blade lasted 13 shaves so I expect I have a way to go with it yet.

proxy.php

Thirtieth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

Pretty much the identical shave as yesterday's.

My three usual passes were all quick and trouble-free. There have been no issues during the ATG pass for several days, so I'm chalking up the tugging episode as a one-time thing. Buffing is still limited to just a few strokes along the jawline, so the chance of irritation is minimal.

Now that the 30th use has come and gone, I'm pondering whether to keep going or stop here and call it good. There's nothing really left to prove; the Polsilver Stainless is an extraordinarily long-lived blade that consistently provides close, smooth shaves.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow!

Sixth shave with this blade this morning. Results and experience have been similar to the 2nd shave described in my last post. Shaves have been smooth but slow. More strokes are needed to get to DFS than with my favorite blades. The good news is that shaves have continued irritation-free even with the extra strokes.

Off topic: Shout out to the Muhle stick and Palmolive Classic cream. Both produce slick and pretty lather with a variety of brushes. Neither has much fragrance, a plus for me.
10th and final shave with this blade this am. Once again, good result. (BBS minus) with Palmolive Classic cream but lots of strokes needed. Oddly, the 9th shave yesterday was DFS minus minus.

I have 3 of these blades left in the generous PIF’d tuck. The comparison for the next blade, in a 1970 Tech, will be a big league GSB.

Mike M

Polsilver Unobtainium blade#2 shave#5
IMG_20211003_223907.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R5
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

Tonight I just felt like a bit of luxury because it's been that sort of week. SV is my luxury soap of choice whilst Fine Lavender Pour Homme is my special occasion soap. I haven't used my Yaqi Purple Haze in a while as the Trafalgar T3 is now my favourite synthetic.
The shave gave me a worthwhile pick me up. The Rockwell 6C is my favourite razor, although I prefer the R6 plate and I might look for another razor next year and was looking at the SS Lupo 95, GC 84, or the Muhle R94.
The SV lather is always just amazing, it never seems to give a bad shave and the scent (particularly of Opuntia, my favourite) just gives you a lift. The shave itself was textbook three pass BBS and I am really enjoying this blade.

Last night, I had shave #2 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Tabac (Tallow) shaving soap for the first time ever. I made a much better lather but still may have added too much water. In any case, the lather was still slick and provided pretty good cushion. I managed to get an irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I poured some cold tap water on top of the soap. I figured to bloom the soap a little bit (not quite as much as last time, but still a little bit of blooming). It was better this time, but I think I may have bloomed it too much, still. I'll cut back even more on the bloom water next time.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather still on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. I added a smidge too much water, but the Tabac just drank up all the extra water, as before. When my lather was good to go, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I wound up feeling the blade a little less than with the last shave, but it was still a little more than with my prior shaves (with both my TOBS (Sandalwood) and Captain's Choice (Venture) soaps and my Proraso (blue) cream). Still the shave was really smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). Again, I felt no real sting from the alum block and only the barest hint of a sting from the alcohol in the splash.

I'm pretty sure that once my lather is dialed in, I can get better shaves with this blade--even as it pushes 30 shaves. Also, I have decided to use Tabac for all of my October shaves. It's just too enjoyable not to use all month!

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100.

EBFF7BDA-3CE5-42C3-B3D8-D9B320C42544.jpeg

Last night, I had shave #2 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Tabac (Tallow) shaving soap for the first time ever. I made a much better lather but still may have added too much water. In any case, the lather was still slick and provided pretty good cushion. I managed to get an irritation free BBS shave.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I poured some cold tap water on top of the soap. I figured to bloom the soap a little bit (not quite as much as last time, but still a little bit of blooming). It was better this time, but I think I may have bloomed it too much, still. I'll cut back even more on the bloom water next time.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather still on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. I added a smidge too much water, but the Tabac just drank up all the extra water, as before. When my lather was good to go, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I wound up feeling the blade a little less than with the last shave, but it was still a little more than with my prior shaves (with both my TOBS (Sandalwood) and Captain's Choice (Venture) soaps and my Proraso (blue) cream). Still the shave was really smooth.

I cleaned up my shave with my usual alum block pass before washing it off and applying aftershave splash (Stirling Spice) and aftershave balm (Nivea Men Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm). Again, I felt no real sting from the alum block and only the barest hint of a sting from the alcohol in the splash.

I'm pretty sure that once my lather is dialed in, I can get better shaves with this blade--even as it pushes 30 shaves. Also, I have decided to use Tabac for all of my October shaves. It's just too enjoyable not to use all month!

All in all, I would give this shave a 98/100.

View attachment 1339500
Sorry, this was shave #26, not #2.

Mike M

Blade#2 shave#6 Polsilver Unobtainium blade

IMG_20211004_213827.jpg

Razor: Gillette Slim Twist
Cream: Palmolive Classica
Brush: Semogue 1305

This is a shave like my dad shave. My Slim Twist is not my favourite razor though my dad had one so it reminds me of him. The last time I used it there was some blade chatter making it rather uncomfortable. Cleaning and lubrication with mineral oil is allowing the razor to clamp down on the blade getting rid of the chatter.
The Palmolive left a rather airy, bubbly lather, but the scent always reminds me of my Dad so I always have a tube of it in the den. The shave was one of the more pleasant ones with this setup. Left with a DFS, although I could have done without accidentally cutting my nose, couldn't finish fast enough.

OCtober 4th
IMG_20211004_123321.jpg

Blade #2 shave 10

Four smooth shaves with the unobtainium blade and the Timeless Bronze OC. Same software as yesterday. Just changed brushes. I really like these blades. Given how many shaves guys are getting on these I think 14 on blade one may have been a fluke. So far blade two has been sharp, smooth, and, consistent. Counting shaves is relatively new to me. As is daily shaving. Well almost daily. Point is I don't know what is normal, bit, I know I have gone a month or two on a blade before.My normal blade is the Wizamet Iridium Super blades and I love them. At this point I can at the least say these are as good. When this blade is done, whenever that is, I think I will run a super iridium blade through to see how far I can take one and compare them again.

proxy.php

Thirty-first shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

I've decided to keep going out of sheer curiosity! 😁

Well, we're now on the 31st use of this blade and it's still going strong. All three of my usual passes were smooth and trouble-free.

The ATG pass continues to be quick and comfortable. The minor tugging that I experienced on one instance, last week, has not re-occurred. There was no post-shave irritation.

Overall, a very nice, close shave.

Hi gents,

Hope you're all doing great. Like I said a couple of time, work and things in my personal life are absolutely smashing my free time.

So here is my last three shave, which were all outstanding, especially the last one with my Raw RS-18.

20211005_102940.jpg

Blade #1, Shave #8
Ariana & Evans Revolution
Henson Ti22 Aggressive
Razorock 400 SE synthetic
Alum Block
Thayer's Cucumber
Ariana & Evans Post-shave serum

20211003_080641.jpg

Blade #1, Shave #9
Barrister & Mann Fougère Gothique Full set
Game Changer Jaws 0.84 on a Stork titanium & brass handle
West Coast two tone 26mm handle
Alum Block
Thayer's Cucumber
Ariana & Evans Post-shave serum

20211004_173719.jpg

Blade #1, Shave #10
Barrister & Mann 42 Full set
Raw Shaving RS-18
PAA Phantom Aerolite 26mm Synthetic

Outstanding shave right there.

Thanks a lot and have a nice one gents!

Last night, I had shave #27 with blade #2 of the Polisilver Stainless Steel blades. The blade was held in place with a Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a West Coast Shaving 79BR handle.

I used Tabac (Tallow) shaving soap and made an even better lather than last time. I think I'm getting close to dialing in Tabac to how I like my lather. In any case, the lather was slick and provided a bit more cushioned than before. I managed to get an (almost) irritation free BBS shave, I could've sworn I nocked myself at one point, but I didn't see any blood and my post shave routine didn't really have any stinging feedback.

Prior to the shave, I showered with cold water and also used cold water to soak my Semogue Owners Club cherry wood handle finest badger brush. Additionally, I poured some cold tap water on top of the soap. I think I may have bloomed it too much, again. I'll have to cut back even more on the bloom water next time.

After the bloom water turned filmy with soap, I squeezed my brush dry, picked up the soap puck in one hand, and then swirled the brush across the top of the puck for a minute. I then set down my brush and dumped the bloom water from my shaving bowl into an empty yogurt cup. Next, I scooped up all the protolather still on the puck and transferred it to the shaving bowl where I began to swirl my brush while gradually adding some of the bloom water (along with more cold tap water) to make my lather. When my lather was good to go, I applied a little of the bloom water to my face by hand before each lather pass.

I did my usual two pass (WTG and ATG) shave and buffed my trouble areas. I wound up feeling the blade a little more than with the last shave. Still the shave was really smooth.

I'm pretty sure that once my lather is dialed in, I can get better shaves with this blade--even as it pushes 30 shaves.

All in all, I would give this shave a 97.75/100.
37717686-5DE9-4657-81D8-B4088579EFF8.jpeg

Top Bottom