What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

Gotta give em at least two IME. Until I experienced it for myself I was a little skeptical when I heard of blades getting better, then I bought some med preps and found out for myself that yeah, you gotta give em a chance cause some actually do improve
Three isn't too bad. I've even chucked blades that went belly-up after only a few shaves. (Believe it or not! 😜 )

But, it's the guys who toss out a perfectly good blade after only one use that leave me utterly perplexed!

View attachment 1318893

proxy.php

Forty-fifth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

A trouble-free performance, similar to yesterday's.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo is still delivering a fine shave despite the number of uses it has accumulated. All three of my usual passes were quick and comfortable. Efficiency is down a bit, but comfort is still high. There was no post-shave irritation.

So, we're now 90% of the way to 50 shaves on this blade. Some of the credit (*) for this remarkable longevity goes to the FOCS which is an efficient, yet forgiving razor. I also think that decent technique also helps, if I may humbly say so.

However, there can be no mistake that the Polsilver Stainless is the star of the show. It has been remarkably consistent from the beginning. There have been some ups and downs, but they have been extremely minor and have not affected the overall performance of the blade.

Also, as a side-note, I'm still amazed by the ability of this blade to remain clean. I keep bringing up the uncoated Kai blades from the Kai Participation PIF as examples of blades that discoloured very easily and held onto soap scum like glue. I also mentioned the modern Teflon-coated Astra SS blades that developed corrosion with prolonged use.

Then, there's the Polsilver Stainless. I only have to rinse it under the tap and blot it dry with a towel. As you might be able to tell from the photo, that blade is absolutely spotless. The coating is of such quality that even my Sharpie pen marks (which I use to orient the blade in the razor for consistency purposes) have almost completely worn away. Very impressive and, quite likely, a contributor to this blade's longevity.

(*) I'll be immodest for a moment and also credit my face for some of this blade's success; a high pain threshold combined with elephant hide for skin can really stretch a blade's lifespan! 😄

20210829_193935-01.jpeg
SOTD #218/2021
30-08-2021

>> All Aventus August <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Thäter 4125/1 LE Silvertip 2-band badger
Soap: Stirling Soap Executive Man
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Stainless Steel Open Comb
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (5)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man
Fragrance: Montblanc Explorer EdP

Blade 3 - Shave 5

Such a nice shave. Two passes and just a few touchups strokes were needed today to achieve full BBS. The Polsilver paired with the Blackbird didn't let me down in shave no. 5 - a bit of nice blade feel, but overall smoothness galore, as to be expected with this wonderful blade.

Onward to shave #6 ? You can bet on it!

Have a great start into the new week, y'all!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Back to Blade 4 today. Shave 3 I think. :)

This will be my last shave report for this Challenge PIF. However, I will continue to use these blades going forward. To recap my experience, I had purchased a bulk of these blades a few years ago, and after using them a few times, determined that they were inferior to the modern blades, and inferior to the older vintage varieties. In other words, I found them to be sub par at that time. Since I am a huge fan of all things Wizamet and Polsilver, I put them in my blade stash and forgot about them. When this PIF was announced, I did not think the PIF blades were the same as the blades I had gotten way back. But upon arrival, I discovered that they indeed were. In either case, I feel that in order to have the best comparative results amongst the group, its best to use the blades distributed with the challenge PIF. So I pressed on.

The first few shaves with the PIF blades were more of the same. Not sharp, and tuggy. But it seems that these blades are quite finnicky with razor selection. Maybe that just my experience, but that is definitely the case for me. These blades were horrendous in my 3 Wolfman razors, Charcoal Goods, H&S, and a few others. Terrible. But for the sake of the PIF, I pressed on. At some point, I slapped blade #4 into my R41. I had a hunch that this blade would smooth out an otherwise harsh and extremely aggressive razor, and boy was I correct. This blade completely tamed the R41, and still retained all (or most) of the efficiency. After multiple shaves with multiple R41 configurations, I have had nothing but fabulous shaves with the R41 and the PIF Polsilver. Last week I tossed the PIF blade into the Lupo 95. More of the same. Smoothed it right out, and rendered excellent results.

So my final analysis of this blade is that it is not the sharpest. But it is super smooth. In the wrong razor, it will make a Derby Extra look efficient and smooth. But in the right razor, it excels. I think this blade will be my go-to blade for the R41 and the Lupo 95.

Today's shave features a Yintal-capped R41 on a Weber Classic handle. 42 Softheart and Splash. Leo Frilot Timberwolf. Excellent results. For those that are into amazing soaps, try the B&M Softheart base. Amazing.

2021-08-30 09.43.22.jpg

proxy.php

Forty-sixth shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

A good shave, but we're definitely on the downhill side now.

The FOCS/Polsilver Stainless duo is finally beginning to show a noticeable decline in shave quality. The WTG and ATG passes were smooth, but the XTG pass displayed the first signs of roughness that I've experienced, so far.

Up to now, all of my XTG passes had been quite comfortable. However, this time, I had the sense that I was scraping something keenly sharp over my skin. My skin wasn't irritated after the pass, but I decided not to buff, just in case.

...and yet I resist the inner urge to write:
"I told you so right away" :biggrin:
Today's shave was probably the logical place to stop using this blade. But, rationality goes out the window when there's a challenge to complete. So, on we go! :w00t:

07A17C8C-1F73-4909-8D73-8B68586A95EA.jpeg

Blade 4 Shave 12 MdC Monday
Pre:
Proraso white
Brush: AP Shave Co cashmere
Lather: MdC Fougere
Razor: Heritage Gibbs replica

Not a super efficient outing (3 passes plus touch ups) but still smooth after all these years. Lucky number 13 next. Probably go back to a Tech head with UFO handle. That was the best razor/handle combo with this blade, and would you look at that. It’s Tech Tuesday tomorrow.

20210830_183904-01.jpeg
SOTD #219/2021
31-08-2021

>> All Aventus August <<

Preshave: shower, cold tap water.
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura
Soap: Razorock Emperor
Straight Razor: Fatip Retro Nichelato Open Comb
Blade: Vintage Polsilver Stainless (6)
After shave: cool tap water, Razorock Emperor AS.
Perfume: Creed Aventus (sample)

Blade 3 - Shave 6

Today is the last day of All Aventus August. It's been a great month for me. But all good things come to an end....

So I used the Emperor set on my early morning shave (4:30am o_O, due to a business trip), I stirred up a thick and smooth lather and let the vintage Polsilver and Fatip Retro combo work like it was on cruise control (given the day time, I still was half asleep, to be honest). 2 passes, DFS. No nicks.😜

The blade felt still smooth and not at all dangerous to use, evem with eyes almost closed. :laugh:

I finished the shave with the Creed Aventus. Overall, a very, very nice shave - despite the time of day.

Happy shaves, y'all!

proxy.php

Forty-seventh shave with the Polsilver Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

A lot better than yesterday, but that may not be saying much.

Although I enjoyed a pretty good shave, it wasn't up to the standard set by this blade even a half-dozen shaves ago. The overall quality has dipped significantly since then. Having said that...

I really don't have anything to complain about. For today's shave, all three of my usual passes were fairly smooth, the comfort level was reasonably high, I only had to buff lightly in my usual trouble spot, and there was no post-shave irritation. Perhaps most importantly, the roughness that I experienced yesterday is gone.

I don't think that this blade has rehabilitated itself, somehow, but it's probably good for at least three more uses (... at which point, I'll see whether I'm brave enough to keep going).

20210830_190810-01-01-01-01.jpeg
SOTD #220/2021
31-08-2021

>> Tallow Tabac Tuesday <<

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Taj
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz Tabac
Razor: Gillette The New Long Comb
Blade: vintage Polsilver Stainless (7)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Nivea Sensitive psb

Blade 3 - Shave 7

Second shave of the day aka the late-night edition (10:00 pm).

Tabac, finally. It felt like greeting an old friend. I really, really enjoyed the "All Aventus August" shaves with the various "Aventus" soaps, but during the last couple of days I realized I was beginning to stroll around this lovely bowl. I guess all the talk about tallow/non tallow Tabac in the various threads lately has made me really look forward to using Tabac again... It didn't come as a surprise that Tabac's performance was top notch today.

Not just Tabac alone, but the rest of the hardware used ensured that even the second shave of the day was a good one. 2 passes (wtg/atg) were enough to get rid of 17.5 hours worth of growth. DFS+. The vintage Polsilver was working flawlessly again, I hardly could feel the blade whilst shaving.
No nicks, and way more importantly, no irritation subsequent to today's shave no.2! Just a calm skin.

Onward to shave no. 8.
Happy shaves!

Last edited:
78FC1D75-563B-4B44-B35B-00A41CCC2A24.jpeg

Blade 4 Shave 13
TOJA TECH TUESDAY

Pre:
Proraso white
Brush: AP Shave Co 2Bed
Lather: La Toja
Razor: Canadian pre war tech with RazoRock barber pole handle

This tech with a RR handle combo is the winning ticket when it comes to this blade. Short steep strokes produce a drama free three passes plus touch ups for DFS+. Was tugging a tiny bit on the first pass so I’m gonna have to refer you to @Demolition if you wanna see this blade get to 50 uses! Might get get to 15 though.

Sept Slant Wed 1st Blade #1 Shave #6
Soap
Stirling Baker Street
Brush Spiffo 28mm Manchurian
Razor Parker SemiSlant
Blade Vintage Polsilver Super Stainless 6th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + TGS Abysso
Stirling Sept soap too! Lovely scent, creamy and slick lather...just wonderful!
Wonderful shave with the razor paired with this blade too. 3 smooth and comfortable passes for a mostly bbs finish. The blade is still ok. Aftershaves were awesome too.
20210901_114911.jpg

View attachment 1320446
Blade 4 Shave 13
TOJA TECH TUESDAY

Pre:
Proraso white
Brush: AP Shave Co 2Bed
Lather: La Toja
Razor: Canadian pre war tech with RazoRock barber pole handle

This tech with a RR handle combo is the winning ticket when it comes to this blade. Short steep strokes produce a drama free three passes plus touch ups for DFS+. Was tugging a tiny bit on the first pass so I’m gonna have to refer you to @Demolition if you wanna see this blade get to 50 uses! Might get get to 15 though.
Kindly refer to one of my earlier posts (this one) in which I describe a way to extend blade life.

Afterwards, 50 shaves should be a snap! (...if you survive the process. 😁 )

Top Bottom