What's new

Participation PIF - The Unobtainium Polsilver Super Stainless

Blade 1 #3 use
Head and face shave
3 pass head and face
Most of this stuff I had never used
The shave was uneventful , close shave, might have over shaved a bit in the back of the head
used alum block and had NO stinging.

Rinsed the head and face using the remainder lather.
Put the Lucky tiger....(had high expectations.....)
After 5-10 min had a lot of irritation in the scalp and face. Used some GeoTrumper skin food.....no relief. Then went back to basics: Nivea balm, once absorbed I used Aqua vela 5-1.....and it soothed the burning.

So this shave was close, but the burning long time after using alum and rinsing was new.....

Will keep trying, and revert to my post shave routine.....
I am at a point in life that probably the best is to keep using what works

Attachments

• PXL_20210725_024546845.jpg
    PXL_20210725_024546845.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
Face shave
Muhle Rocca #4 half face
the other half I used a RR Hawk3 w a Feather Artist #3?
Soap RR Santa Maria
AS Speick
AB aquavelva 5-1

both sides were smooth, no cuts no irritation. The side w the Hawk/feather was significantly smoother..... I did not chase the dragon.

Maybe this particular blade has an issue. Remember, even the KAI had one blade in the tuck which didn't meet the expectations, but then the next one hit the homerun... :thumbsup:
That's true! The first Kai in that tuck was very inconsistent and only lasted a handful of shaves, but the second blade was nearly indestructible.

However, those Kais were made of magical meteoric iron. Do you happen to know a sorcerer who can enchant these Polsilvers for us? 😁

Unobtainium Polsilver Stainless Blade #2 - Shave #1 - Slims at Dawn

Equipment:
Gillette Slim (4), Polsilver Stainless #2 (1), CTS Mr Pepper Shave Soap

The Shave: I forget how much I like my Slim, the weight and balance are nice, and it just feels good in the hand. Dropping the Unobtainium Polsilver Stainless Blade #2 in, setting on 4, I received a very comfortable DFS+ shave...with a few weepers (I got winged!! Keep your head down, Grundi!!). Gillette Slim and Polsilver stainless, just a wonderful pairing.

Polsilver_Blade2Shave1.jpg

Equipment:

The Shave: I forget how much I like my Slim, the weight and balance are nice, and it just feels good in the hand. Dropping the Unobtainium Polsilver Stainless Blade #2 in, setting on 4, I received a very comfortable DFS+ shave...with a few weepers (I got winged!! Keep your head down, Grundi!!). Gillette Slim and Polsilver stainless, just a wonderful pairing.

View attachment 1302311
At least you survived the shootout. :w00t:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Polsilver SLIM Shave-Off -- Round 1

In the right corner:
Slim on 9, PIF Polsilver Blade 2, Shave 1

In the left corner: Slim on 9, Modern Polsilver Shave 1

I gave the PIF blade the right side of my face. This way any strong-side bias would go to the PIF blade, giving it every chance to hold its own against the modern blade. I did the standard three pass shave. Slim on setting #9. NO Touchups. Super Steep Angle. I concentrated on making sure I did the same shave patterns on both sides. Minimal pressure. The 42 Softheart was amazing as usual.

Results: Both blades performed very well. Nice and smooth. There was no drama on either side. However, as expected, the Modern Polsilver on the left side was just a closer shave. Even running my finger down both sides of my jaw line I can feel how much smoother the modern blade left that area. The real test will be how it all feels tomorrow morning. But overall it was a great shave on both sides of my face. But the nod goes to the modern blade today.

2021-07-26 07.51.38.jpg

2021-07-26 08.46.50.jpg

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse

In the right corner:

I gave the PIF blade the right side of my face. This way any strong-side bias would go to the PIF blade, giving it every chance to hold its own against the modern blade. I did the standard three pass shave. Slim on setting #9. NO Touchups. Super Steep Angle. I concentrated on making sure I did the same shave patterns on both sides. Minimal pressure. The 42 Softheart was amazing as usual.

Results: Both blades performed very well. Nice and smooth. There was no drama on either side. However, as expected, the Modern Polsilver on the left side was just a closer shave. Even running my finger down both sides of my jaw line I can feel how much smoother the modern blade left that area. The real test will be how it all feels tomorrow morning. But overall it was a great shave on both sides of my face. But the nod goes to the modern blade today.

View attachment 1302358

View attachment 1302359
That 2 tone Slim is sweet!!

Polsilver Stainless Blade 2 Shave 1 Of Polsilver VS Wizamet

Razor Timeless SS .68 SB
Blade Polsilver Stainless
Brush Yaqi Rainbow
Soap Captain's Choice Lime
AS Pinaud Lime Sec
Balm Captain's Choice Lime

Rating 10/10 BBS

This was a really great shave. BBS finish with almost no feedback from the aftershave. I was expecting the blade on the first shave to feel a little rough like the last time. This blade was very smooth right out of the gate. I don't know if it is just a variance in blades or if it is a razor thing. I used the Winning razor for the first shave with the first blade. There was a noticeable increase in efficiency from my last shave which was on it's sixth shave. I do chase BBS so my shaves probably equal 4 passes or more with all of the buffing and touchups. That is going to take a toll on longevity. I suspect 5 or 6 shaves is going to be my limit. Tomorrow I will use the same set up for a Wizamet SI and see how it fairs.

Pol Lime.jpg

In the right corner:

View attachment 1302358

View attachment 1302359

Excellent!! Great way to distinguish the blades!! :a11: :a11:

Equipment:

View attachment 1302311

+1! Slim is SIMPLY ELEGANT! (Even better if you have a Polsilver to load!) :a29:

Blade: Polsilver Stainless (5)
Razor: Tatara Masamune
Soap: Maison Lambert
Brush: Semogue C-3 Mistura
Oil: Truefit and Hill
Aftershave: Pre de Provence

Comments: still going well, but with a little more touch-up needed. A high-quality shave with no irritation. BTW, my two new Semogue Mistura brushes (C-3 and C-5) have done a great job with minimal break-in. I may need to order more.

Shave #7
1 days growth

Blade: Polsilver Stainless
Pre: Cool shower with Yardley activated charcoal bath soap
Razor: 66 slim on 4
Soap: PdP 63
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: AV Ice Sport

IMG_0591.JPG

I showed up for the shoot out, but couldn't stay. I had some shaving to do. This is the first time I've used the same razor three days in a row in two or three years. The slim and this blade is that good. With the talk of PdP 63 going around, how could I resist it today?

Nice and smooth, but I believe the blade is slowing down. There was some resistance, but no tugging. I usually toss after 6 shaves, but let's see how far she goes. 3 passes and I'm very close to but not quite BBS---I think my angle was just a wee bit off. No feedback from the alum and just the regular alcohol/menthol shock.

723CD11C-9C86-4C4E-8A1A-FDCDC691ABED.jpeg

Blade #1 Shave#6
Pre:
Proraso blue
Brush: Maggard Timberwolf
Lather: PdP 63
Razor: Slim (settings 5/7/9/9)

Might be time for this stud to hit the glue factory. Not the smoothest of shaves today. Not too bad but not the same as the previous shaves. Could be the razor but things were heading this direction. Took 4 (wtg,xtg,atg,atg) passes and touch ups to get a decent shave. Might try it again tomorrow, might not. It’s been a terrific blade for me.

Shave 4 Polsilver, same set up for consistancy.
Universal shavett
Tabac
444 Balm
Henri et Victoria C&CC

Felt the blade a little more and against the grain was the deciding factor.
3 very comfortable shaves, one ok shave.
I had a look under the microscope to see if there was something going on with the blade but it still looked really good.
If I had a stack of them it would be tossed at this point.
Next blade will decide consistency across the brand.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210726_132511.jpg

Blade#1 Shave#1

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Polsilver Stainless Unobtainium
Soap: MWF
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 26mm 2 band badger

I started a day late, yesterday the weather put me in mind of the South of France and were I using the Polsilver Stainless I would have gone with RR Don Marco (that summery orange scent is just one of my favourites). Today however we are back to the more familiar cloud and rain and so time to snuggle up with some comfort soap, MWF.
After reading some of the reviews I decided it was best to start with a mild razor for the first shave so I picked the King C Gillette which normally feels like it doesn't even have a blade loaded.
Loaded up the Yaqi (my current soap killer of choice) with plenty of MWF. Got a good slick lather and began. Well for once the KCG definitely felt like it had a blade in it, the WTG pass gave plenty of feedback and I could feel the hair being removed, I was glad I didn't load up my R41, very impressive.
XTG I started to feel a little raw on the neck, but the face results were good.
For the ATG pass I decided to lather up really well and the pass went very smoothly.
Overall the shave was aggressive for the gear I picked, but from previous reviews I was expecting as much for a first use of the blade and it isn't often I use balm , but it helped with my neck. The blade is impressive, but I hope it settles down for my next shave.

Top Bottom