What's new

Participation PIF - The Mysterious KAI Blades

Here is a weird one.
I used an Occam razor (new to me) w a Feather Professional. 2+ passes , BUT I still had some stubble on my cheeks. Used SV and an Omega mixed.
Went to bed and that is the one area that bothers me a lot now, 50/50 dark/white/gray hair....so that doesn't look good w stubble.

Got up, grabbed a can of Barbasol and my Leaf w Kai blades (#13?)
Just one pass against. Minimal burning but it's close as I like. Saved the day. Speick AS then some weird banana smelling AS from Abate y la Mantilla (Don Jose).....now I am sneezing....
Shave saved by Kai in a Leaf.

View attachment 1242191
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip

Blade #2 / Shave #9

Greetings,
today's shave was close, but lacked the comfort a KAI regularly uses to give. After three rather harsh passes I finished my shave with a bit of redness on the neck, but the slight irritation dissapeared after the application of a balm within a few hours.

At least, a close shave.

Onward!

One question: has this Speick soap shrunk with time. I have one, have used 3 times and the thing just vanished....60+% gone.

One question: has this Speick soap shrunk with time. I have one, have used 3 times and the thing just vanished....60+% gone.

Yes, it did - but only to a lesser extent.
I guess this is a result of a dry out process of the soap. I have started to use this particular puck in June 2020, but only now and then (due to my rather large soap rotation). It still works and smells fine (as on day 1).

Fwiw, according to the code printed on the tub the production date might be 07th February, 2019.

20210329_084353-01.jpeg

Last edited:
proxy.php

Thirty-eighth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar (Boar w/Beech Wood handle)
Soap: Tabac

A light load of Tabac was all that was needed for the Omega 10005 to generate enough lather for four passes. As mentioned in an earlier entry, the Omega 10005 feels lovely on the face, but sometimes performs poorly; it usually requires a heavy load of soap to produce a decent lather and it still hogs it up like a sponge, but sentimentality keeps it in my rotation. Therefore, when it performs well, I feel inordinately happy. 🤗

The lather itself was rich, slick, and cushiony. A typical result for Tabac. Some people object to it, but I don't think there's a more classically masculine scent than a traditional fougère.

Meanwhile, the FOCS/Kai duo keeps chugging along. My three usual passes were trouble-free, once again. The ATG and XTG passes were very quick and comfortable, leaving my skin smooth and refreshed. There was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required.

p.s. The mottling and discolouration on the blade's surface is pretty obvious in this photo. Interestingly, the other side is almost spotless (check some of my other photos).

20210328_194226-02-01.jpeg

Razor: Fatip Open Comb Slant

Blade #2 / shave #10

Very early morning shave (still half asleep). That's a call of duty for the goFOCS. It's like driving on cruise control. During the shave I didn't even realize/notice that it's shave no. 10 with this blade. This says it all... drama free dfs+ with three smooth passes.

Onward!

Thirty-ninth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

It doesn't take much RR Black Label to make loads of rich, slick lather with the Yaqi Aqua Tuxedo. Pretty much automatic every time.

The FOCS/Kai combo didn't miss a beat, today. I enjoyed three quick, comfortable passes with no post-shave irritation.

Not really much else to say! 😛

Fortieth shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Fine Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

Only a few swirls of RR Green Label were needed to create enough lather for five passes. Although, I may have left a touch too much water in the Fine Classic because the lather was slightly runny. That resulted in less cushion, but the slickness was outstanding.

As usual, the FOCS/Kai duo didn't care; it just did its thing without complaint. Like clockwork, my routine three-pass shave was smooth, quick, and comfortable. There was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required.

Side note: Wow, this is the fortieth (40th) shave on this blade! Its consistency has been a pleasant surprise. I didn't have high hopes because the first blade was so disappointing, but the current blade has really impressed me!

Forty-first shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

The Yaqi Sagrada Tuxedo Fan only needed a small amount of RR Blue Label to produce a mountain of slick, extremely cushiony lather. The simple, clean scent of Blue Label evokes many childhood memories; it reminds me of watching my Dad shave, the old-fashioned way.

I think that the extra cushion helped with today's outing because it seemed like I was buffing excessively during the ATG pass. Usually, that's a recipe for disaster, but the mildness of the FOCS/Kai eliminated any chance of irritation. Therefore, all three of my passes were smooth and comfortable. In the end, I received another excellent, trouble-free shave.

Blade 1 Shave 19

Pre Shave: Hot shower and Stirling Rosemary Mint shampoo bar
Razor: WCS Toothsome head
Blade: Kai (19)
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Gatlinburg
AS Balm: Nivea
AS: Vintage Avon Deep Woods

Being only a every 2-3 day shaver this blade seems like it is going to last an eternity especially if it keeps performing the way it has. Today was another DFS after three smooth passes with no irritation what so ever. I am pretty sure now that some of my earlier issue with some irritation were due to technique. The grain on my neck switches directions about a blade width down from my jaw line so I changed up my first pass a bit and have not had any irritation since then. I followed everything up today with a healthy splash of Avon Deep Woods that hasn't had any love in a while. I'm not sure why this one hasn't played a more regular regular role in my rotation but it sure needs to.

proxy.php

Forty-second shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

What is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Blade Life, Consistency, and Efficiency? Why, 42, of course!

Yes, I've reached 42 shaves on this Kai blade and have determined that it is Mostly Harmless... er, I mean still going strong.

Seriously, though, I continue to be impressed by the longevity of this blade. It has lasted nearly five times (5x) as long as the previous blade and the quality of my shaves has not diminished over that time. Must be that meteoric iron, right?

20210402_111058-01.jpeg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R94

Blade #2 / shave #14.

Greetings,
2 passes, dfs- overall, but not much shaving comfort today. Maybe the blade's end is coming... Caught some light irritation on my neck. This kind of irritation often is the first sign of the blade's decline. Anyway, I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Have some great shaves, Gents!

Forty-third shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Fine Stout 24mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

A light load of RR SMdF on the Fine Stout resulted in enough slick, cushiony lather for four passes. I needed all of it because I ended up performing my usual three passes plus a touch-up.

The FOCS/Kai duo is still providing close shaves, but perhaps the efficiency has declined slightly. Over the last few outings, I've had to buff a bit more than normal. Could this be the first signs of dulling? Probably. Even so, this particular blade has exhibited extraordinary longevity.

We'll see if it rehabilitates itself over the next few shaves or if it has finally given up the ghost.

20210402_123656-01-01.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip

Blade #2 / shave #15

Had a better shave than yesterday. However, the blade clearly starts to fade. So I guess it's time to ramp up the efficiency wirh the heavy boys, starting from Sunday...

Onward!

Last edited:
Kai 14
Pearl Flexi
MDC
Muhle synthetic
alum
witch medicated
Speick AS
Aquavelva AB
Second use of this razor, yesterday used w GSB and the jaw and neck shave wasn't that great. So today I revived the Kai; setting #3, first pass smooth, for some reason the neck doesn't cut very well (angle/weight)?. I did the 3rd pass on the neck using Leaf w Kai (#?), much better closeness. AGT sides w Pearl was OK, one bleeding point.
Some irritation , but not bad.
Kai refuses to die.
I'll try the Pearl at 5-6 for the neck....maybe that is what I need there. Razor is nice, but too heavy. I have a preference for OC to limit the # of passes.

proxy.php

Forty-third shave with the Mysterious Kai blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: Vitos Classic (Eucalyptus and Lanolin)

A small blob (0.3 cc) of Vitos Classic was all that the Yaqi Purple Mink needed to generate enough slick, cushiony lather for five passes. This is a typical result when I use any synthetic brush with Vitos.

Meanwhile, the FOCS/Kai duo performed superbly. My three usual passes were all very smooth and comfortable. Unlike yesterday's shave, I did not need a touch-up pass. In fact, I didn't need to perform any extra buffing, either.

Therefore, the question is whether the sensation of dullness that I experienced during my last shave was an anomaly or if today's exceptionally slick lather hid any deficiencies in the blade by allowing it to glide more easily over my skin. Follow-up shaves should reveal what's actually going on.

20210404_104709-01.jpeg

Razor: Mühle R41 GS

Blade #2 / shave #16

Egg-cellent shave today! :biggrin:

Those poor whiskers - they didn't see their end coming. The R41 GS mowed them down with ease. As already mentioned yesterday, the sharpness of the second KAI slowly decreases. Overall though, still a close, nice and smooth shave.

Happy Easter to you all!

SHAVE NO. 18
3 days growth

Preshave: Warm shower with Kirk's unscented castile bar soap
Razor: SLOC
Blade: Kai
Soap: Palmolive stick
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Clubman classic vanilla

I took a break from the Kai blade and used a Derby Premium for two shaves. The Derby's performance on its first and seconds shaves was much smoother than the Kai's 17th and 18th. Today I retired the blade. It was rinsed, dried, and carefully laid to rest in an Altoids tin until recycling time. If this was a "Great Depression" moment I'd have no real problems pushing this blade further, but there's no need when I have many fresh blades just waiting for their turn.

16 good shaves can not be easily dismissed, but neither can higher cost. While I'd rate this blade as a top tier performer it's lack of easy availability and price mean that it would never be my first choice. I do definitely think it's better than the Feather blades that many dote on.

Many thanks to @Grundi and @AnimalCatcher for providing a blade that I probably never would have tried on my own.

Top Bottom